The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extra 5%

EdgarM

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I've waited nearly two decades for this long era of one-dimensional, gentlemen, Swede Capatains to be over. Sure, I can wait another year. 

Yeah, I second that. Of all the very good teams we've had that have done virtually nothing in the playoffs, led by mild-mannered Naslund and Sedin (with that ridiculous Luongo experiment in between) it's definitely time to try something different in the leadership department.

58 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Yeah, I second that. Of all the very good teams we've had that have done virtually nothing in the playoffs, led by mild-mannered Naslund and Sedin (with that ridiculous Luongo experiment in between) it's definitely time to try something different in the leadership department.

a letter on the jersey doesn't do anything.

3 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

I think the Canucks is probably leading the NHL with the fewest fighting majors among all the teams.  This is not a good sign for a team, especially in the west. 

Doesn't help that Dorsett and Guddy are out. Hansen was the last one to fight Kadri... sort of 

You'd think the 4th line would have some bite in them... they aren't scoring so why not spur a fight and try to energize the team once in a while...

sigh im done with Chaput... would rather see Gaunce in the minors to help Utica out.

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame--horvat-vs-wild/t-277437438/c-49105103

Really like Bo's discussion on the effort of play of late. He stated they should be playing like a playoff team and should be giving that extra 5%. Please make this guy the Captain soon! This has been a glaring problem for this team for a very long time and this is the first I heard of a Canuck admitting it and challenging his fellow players to give that extra effort. If they did this they would definitely be winning more games and there would be a greater entertainment factor for the fans.

Its very easy to see the players that are giving that extra effort and those that are not night in and night out. Miller, Markstrom, Tryampkin, Biega, Stecher, Edler, Sbisa, Tanev,  Hansen, Sutter, Baertchi, Skille and Bo show this pretty much every night and I can't wait until this is the norm and all players are on the same page and they fight for the 2 points every night. Dare to dream.

Bo is da bomb, but he didn't come up with the 'everyone just has to give that extra 5%".  I heard Willie talk about that pregame a few games ago. Hasn't seemed to help much though. Maybe it should be 10%.

7 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

I think the Canucks is probably leading the NHL with the fewest fighting majors among all the teams.  This is not a good sign for a team, especially in the west. 

Yeah but theyve fought when it actually mattered which is the most important thing.

5 hours ago, goblix said:

Doesn't help that Dorsett and Guddy are out. Hansen was the last one to fight Kadri... sort of 

You'd think the 4th line would have some bite in them... they aren't scoring so why not spur a fight and try to energize the team once in a while...

sigh im done with Chaput... would rather see Gaunce in the minors to help Utica out.

Good point. These are big aspects of the game that the team is lacking right now. Maybe it should be used for development purposes then because I don't think we are putting in line ups which are designed to win.

7 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

That is my thought too. So many years of getting in the playoffs and then being a "gentlemanly" team that we are, bow out in the first or second round year after year after year. Could you see Linden getting punched in the head and do absolutely nothing about it? What a demoralizing and deflating event to happen especially to one of your leaders.

I am definitely ready for change.

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

Bo is da bomb, but he didn't come up with the 'everyone just has to give that extra 5%".  I heard Willie talk about that pregame a few games ago. Hasn't seemed to help much though. Maybe it should be 10%.

5℅ would do it for most but some need to up their effort by 25% just to get to   normal.  Mainly, this refers to the Swedish factor ...Eriksson, Edler and the twins are all underperforming significantly.  No team can compete with its highest paid players and supposed leadership core crapping the bed game after game.

45 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

an extra 5% doesn't even make our power play respectable. 

can I get 20 ?

I'm curious why people are still complaining about the PP? (SHG last game sucks, but...) There was a pretty drastic and obvious change to the PP strategy (not personnel change) starting the game vs Chicago Jan 22nd, and since then the canucks PP% has been 33.3%, good for first in the league over that timeframe...

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate=1&gameType=2&report=teamsummary&reportType=game&startDate=2017-01-22&endDate=2017-02-06&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

35 minutes ago, Zekk said:

I'm curious why people are still complaining about the PP? (SHG last game sucks, but...) There was a pretty drastic and obvious change to the PP strategy (not personnel change) starting the game vs Chicago Jan 22nd, and since then the canucks PP% has been 33.3%, good for first in the league over that timeframe...

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate=1&gameType=2&report=teamsummary&reportType=game&startDate=2017-01-22&endDate=2017-02-06&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPctg

You're using a 5 game sample to establish the power play as being turned around?

From the Dec. 18 - 28th (5 games) they were 5 for 16 as well. 31%

The problem is the season isn't 5 or 10 games long. It's 82. And our power play SUCKS. 

14% that's where we're at. Add to that we've allowed 5 short handed goals against (Philly and Dallas have 8)

Tied with Colorado (ouch), and only one team worse - Detroit, at 11%.

Middle of the pack is 20%

I don't see any drastic change. I see a lot of ping pong along the boards which even entry level players are expecting now and easily close off passes. We need to hire a rocket launching expert to teach Tryamkin how to fire lasers from the point  that might put the fear of God into someone which could help. 

33 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

You're using a 5 game sample to establish the power play as being turned around?

Not so much making an argument that it's been turned around, since as you say, time will tell.  More just genuinely curious why for each of the games since then I still see complaints (not just you, of course) about the PP, when regardless of what you see or think you see, it is getting results.  There are far more important things to complain about in the last few weeks :)

Take note of the positioning on the PP going forward... it's faaar different than it was previously when the PP was actually sucking.

Edit: I am somewhat concerned about it continuing to lead to more SHG against though.

15 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

There are 11 teams with less 

We are not even the lowest in the west

14 hours ago, Jaimito said:

a letter on the jersey doesn't do anything.

I completely disagree. It means the identity of the team, from other fans and players. It also means you're the guy your teammates look to to lead by example, and who they look to to step it up when the going is tough. 

Bo has done that this year imo and he deserves that A on his chest. When Henrik retires that should be the ONLY way the C comes off his chest. While I'm more than ready to see that transition come I do not agree with taking a letter of your captains jersey. 

19 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Wow you must be a serious Hank fan. Second star of the month? :lol: Its all opinion and you definitely have yours and I have mine and I am definitely not going to look up ALL of Bure's accolades as I am not going to "back and forth" with you. Yet........I wonder....... how many times Bure was the first star during his career. :rolleyes:

Bure was awesome, my favorite player all time and he was the most talented player to ever play for the Canucks.  Bure was not however, a Captain, nor was he Captain material either.  He was a talented scorer.  He left Vancity under unfortunate circumstances, which I don't blame him, but none the less he bolted and left us high and dry.  Hank has played his entire career here, has always been classy, has outscored any other player we ever had and led an era of 10 great seasons.  Pavel was involved in 1 playoff run, that's about it...  Hank has done way more for the Canucks, in addition to the stats he put up than my favorite player Pavel ever did.  Now, if it was 1 on 1, I would take Pavel for sure, but I think Hanks 10 years was more valuable to my enjoyment of the Canucks than the 6-7 Bure seasons, where he was great but nobody else around him was.

4 hours ago, Zekk said:

Not so much making an argument that it's been turned around, since as you say, time will tell.  More just genuinely curious why for each of the games since then I still see complaints (not just you, of course) about the PP, when regardless of what you see or think you see, it is getting results.  There are far more important things to complain about in the last few weeks :)

Take note of the positioning on the PP going forward... it's faaar different than it was previously when the PP was actually sucking.

Edit: I am somewhat concerned about it continuing to lead to more SHG against though.

Yup. Fair enough. The PP ebbs and flows through the season. I really don't see it changing much at all overall until we either get 1 or both of 2 things: a real shooter and/or a Dman on the point who can really move and hammer the puck.

I'm hoping with regards to the latter next year Tryamkin can make that leap. He's showing signs now of possibly emerging with some nice offensive instincts. Then there's his size and strength obviously.

I feel bad for Boucher and Rodin. Rodin obviously has an issue with his knee, but Boucher... I mean, the kid probably thought "hey this is a team that's looking for young guys coming in to help scoring and transition/develop a new core. I can probably get in here" so far........ he's enjoying the gourmet popcorn from the nose bleeds. 

Archived