The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Canucks make the playoffs without the Sedins each averaging 1 point per game?

Vinny in Vancouver

Can Canucks make playoffs without Sedins each averaging 1 point per game?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been a lot of talk on the radio bemoaning the fact that the Sedins haven't been scoring (or even shooting) at their normal clip for quite a few games now. We are so starved for goal scoring: projecting the average number of goals per game of each player, we won't get any 25-goal scorers this year. This is sobering to admit: I feel that the Canucks have close to 0 chance of making the playoffs unless the each of the Sedins start averaging close to 1 point a game. I guess that's me admitting that there's currently not enough scoring stars or depth in this team to make the playoffs. 

The Sedins won't be averaging a ppg, so the point is probably moot.

What the team needs is three balanced scoring lines to win - the Sedins as a clear cut #1 is fading into the background.

Hansen returning gives them the prospect of three second lines which isn't necessarily inferior to depending on a top line.

But the additional fact remains that they're still missing a pair of top 4 D - and with rookies and depth D spread throughout the lineup, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect to remain in a playoff race - or for the forward groups to produce at a rate we might normally expect.  It's all integrated, and having to give additional support to the blueline effectively reduces what we can expect in terms of forward production.

I think having a healthy Hutton or Gudbranson and allowing them to move Larsen out of the lineup might play a larger role than the Sedins production.

If the rest of the team is performing, then I would say yes, but that is a big if.  Gillis' idea on having multiple guys contributing 20 or more goals is actually spot on.  That takes pressure off the top line to perform, and in the POs they can focus better on matchups and exploiting the other teams holes.  Right now, we have too many holes of our own to consistently compete, and its showing against the better armed teams.  We are about 2 scoring D and 3 scoring forwards away from being a true PO team, lots in the works with Boeser and Juolevi and the emergence of Horvat, Baertschi and Granny, but we are still hugely reliant on the twins

Last time we made the playoffs the Sedins weren't PPG players, although combined they averaged 74.5 points which is pretty close. 

Having said that, plenty of teams have made the playoffs with a PPG player. Depth and good goaltending are what good teams are made of. 

I am thinking with the salary we are paying the Twins and LE, we should be in a better position then we are in. Imagine if we have this salary on 3 different players other then these 3 and I bet we are higher in the standings.

But........... These 3 are here and so we will not be competitive until moves are made or contracts run out.

Any scenario that involves the Canucks making the playoffs (this season or future ones) should not be relying on the Sedins to be ppg players anymore. Its pretty apparent now that they won't ever be those players again. Time to focus on the succession plan... which should have been started when Benning took over.

I think it starts with giving Horvat and Baertschi more time at even strength and shaking up the powerplay configuration. We can't acquire first line players out of nowhere so we have to give the players we have a chance to be those guys until Boeser and whoever we draft this year are ready. The rest of the season shouldn't be a blind dash to the playoffs, it should be a time to find out what we have in certain players. And if guys like Horvat and Baertschi succeed then that helps you now and in the future.

We don't have the guns to be an offensive powerhouse. After the 8-6 debacle, they started playing the right way for a while and had decent results. Lately the attention to detail has been pathetic and the puck support by the forwards in the defensive zone has also been terrible. I don't think we can rally enough to squeak in. They should still expect every player to work the system and the players who don't want to put in the effort should be gone next season.

Bo still does not have the calibre of line-mate to be a top line. Ditto with Sutter. Right now we need some players to step up their game over the next few seasons and we probably need to find another top six player somewhere. Even if we make the Playoffs, we are not a real threat. We're moving in the right direction though.

If the Sedins are still here on a later Playoff run, they should just be complementary players by then.

Sedins hasn't done 1ppg very often in the past 16 years so I don't think it makes a difference, the depth of the team is what makes the difference, much like the 2010-12 Canucks.  Secondary scoring is needed.

Archived