The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Canucks make the playoffs without the Sedins each averaging 1 point per game?

Vinny in Vancouver

Can Canucks make playoffs without Sedins each averaging 1 point per game?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been saying for a long time that Sept 2018 is the beginning of the new canucks.  But only if we don't resign the twins. They have had great careers but when their contracts expire the team has to be put first. Not the Sedins feelings or legacies.  This year and next are for that. 

Sept 2018 without the Sedins  the new canucks will begin to emerge.  New leaders new power structure new hope.

If the twins were in their prime and dictating play we'd have a shot, alas they aren't the players they once were.

We're in an awkward place where our top line is no longer producing like one and we don't quite have the guys to grab and run away with the job and ice time yet. There is no WCE to Sedin transition going on. Bo's taking steps in the right direction but he can't do it alone.

Looking at the playoffs as a realistic goal is a fool's game at this point. Sure it would be great for some of the younger core players, like Horvat, Tryamkin, Hutton, Markstrom, Megna, Larsen  to amass some more experience in the post season, but with the most likely (all but a certainty at this point) outcome being a four game sweep at the hands of the Sharts, the benefits of playoff hockey experience would be negated by being manhandled and tossed aside.

I get that Benning wanted to tune out and nullify the white noise of trade speculation by stating that no vet would be approached to waive their clause so that they could concentrate on the end goal. That end goal however is now an illusion that Benning hopefully stops trying to sell a fanbase that sees where this team really truly is.

Any veteran should be fair game for a trade at this point. If Bieksa and Hamhuis were approached, Edler should be approached as well. Frankly, the two aforementioned defensemen were far more integral pieces to the back end than Easy Edler has ever been. Maybe his tight friendship with the Twins holds more weight than previously imagined?

Burrows and Hansen have more than proven their worth and it would be nice to see them be given a shot at the Cup with a capable team. Same with Miller. The clock is ticking for these guys. They still have something to give, and frankly, it's wasted here.

Time for everyone in the organization to wipe the pixie dust from their eyes and accept the trajectory of the team.

20 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Not to be that guy...but if we asked the Sedins to waive their NMC would they? and if they did would LA be willing to take on both? If we do expose them I don't think they will be taken, either you take none or both.... Allows us to protect our future more while taking a risky move.

Maybe if we took Dustin Brown and Marian Gaborik back.  And both contracts are worse than the Sedins.    

Canucks have  0 % chance of making the playoffs....

This was true before the puck was dropped on game 1 this year.    

Yes lines 2-4 have competed hard but when your club does NOT  have a  first line, it will be a TOUGH season.

The club is rebuilding.    Tankers were correct once again.    This is the year to assemble picks and give more ice time to developing players....

We haven't hit rock bottom yet though. Next year will be just a tough for our club.....

Heh, we are all Canucks. We ALL want a cup.  Patience is the KEY. 

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Looking at the playoffs as a realistic goal is a fool's game at this point. Sure it would be great for some of the younger core players, like Horvat, Tryamkin, Hutton, Markstrom, Megna, Larsen  to amass some more experience in the post season, but with the most likely (all but a certainty at this point) outcome being a four game sweep at the hands of the Sharts, the benefits of playoff hockey experience would be negated by being manhandled and tossed aside.

I get that Benning wanted to tune out and nullify the white noise of trade speculation by stating that no vet would be approached to waive their clause so that they could concentrate on the end goal. That end goal however is now an illusion that Benning hopefully stops trying to sell a fanbase that sees where this team really truly is.

Any veteran should be fair game for a trade at this point. If Bieksa and Hamhuis were approached, Edler should be approached as well. Frankly, the two aforementioned defensemen were far more integral pieces to the back end than Easy Edler has ever been. Maybe his tight friendship with the Twins holds more weight than previously imagined?

Burrows and Hansen have more than proven their worth and it would be nice to see them be given a shot at the Cup with a capable team. Same with Miller. The clock is ticking for these guys. They still have something to give, and frankly, it's wasted here.

Time for everyone in the organization to wipe the pixie dust from their eyes and accept the trajectory of the team.

Hammer looks great on the Dallas team. Bieksa  - well, he comes and goes. Still trying to look like he doesn't need to try too hard and I'm afraid it often catches him out (as it did here)

21 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I've been saying for a long time that Sept 2018 is the beginning of the new canucks.  But only if we don't resign the twins. They have had great careers but when their contracts expire the team has to be put first. Not the Sedins feelings or legacies.  This year and next are for that. 

Sept 2018 without the Sedins  the new canucks will begin to emerge.  New leaders new power structure new hope.

That actually worries me a little bit. 

I have the utmost respect for both of them as players and human beings, but some of our "younger" players aren't all that young anymore.

Tanev for example will be 28 next season. That's not all that "young" anymore. Not old by any means, but when you look at guys like Horvat, Boeser (if he signs with us) Baer, Granny,... their average age will be 22 y/o next season.

At that rate, and assuming that group will be part of the next core, Tanev will be in the latter part of his career by the time we're approaching contention again. (hopefully)

My point is, by keeping Hank and Danny here out of "respect" you're taking valuable time away from developing and otherwise moving ahead with your new core. I get you have to have great players available to replace them, but the thing is while they're still here a number of young guys aren't being given that chance "out of respect" 
It's VERY rare you're going to have rookies or young players south of 23 come in an instantly be first liners. They need time to practice their chops. That can't happen - or is a lot more difficult to do - if both Sedins are still occupying a top line role. 

Hank is on pace for 49 points this season and is a -15
Danny is on pace for 40 points and is a -11

Horvat's on pace for 53 points and is a -4

It's time for a change. The Sedins are trending down (and sharply this year) while Horvat is trending way up. If they get traded to a contender this year ( I HOPE that happens) and re-sign with us next year to play it out, then I hope that Linbenning and coaches give the top spot to Horvat. Throw Boeser on Horvats line and what you can find to compliment them, then throw them out there without a leash. Put the Sedins+? on the 2nd line and roll with it.

Any long time fan knows this team has been wayyyy to patient for too long and too often.. Sometimes you just have to take a chance instead of playing it safe all the time. It's a young mans game, right?

Archived