The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Jannik Hansen

chillie

This is only my second  post so pls be patient.

There is a good chance that the Nucks could loose one of Hansen,Baertchi or Granlund to LV.

I would hate to lose any of them. So would these options work?

Make a deal with Vegas to take a defenseman like Biega or even Sbisa to leave Hansen alone and include a third round pick.

Failing that expose Erickson with the defencemen  cause I don't think LV would take that contract. Hansen also has a NTC so would that work?

Alternatively the only other choice I see is to trade him to a contender for a good pick. Then the acquiring team would have that choice at the expansion draft.

I really like the way Hansen plays, injuries aside, because he makes any line he plays on better and believe he has three or four or longer good years left.

I have my flameproof suit on so flame away.

2 minutes ago, chillie said:

There is a good chance that the Nucks could loose one of Hansen,Baertchi or Granlund to LV.

Make a deal with Vegas to take a defenseman like Biega or even Sbisa to leave Hansen alone and include a third round pick.

Failing that expose Erickson with the defencemen  cause I don't think LV would take that contract. Hansen also has a NTC so would that work?

Alternatively the only other choice I see is to trade him to a contender for a good pick. Then the acquiring team would have that choice at the expansion draft.

I really like the way Hansen plays, injuries aside, because he makes any line he plays on better and believe he has three or four or longer good years left.

They can't expose Eriksson as he has a NMC.

I hope Hansen and Pizza both get dealt by the deadline.  Hearing that teams might be more willing to move low-end 1st's and it could still net some decent assets if we move guys that we'd have to expose and risk losing for nothing anyways.  

They should definitely seek to protect Sven (he and Bo are the leaders of the future atm), and Markus should be the 2nd priority IMO.   

Other than rentals, I think that the expansion draft will put a real damper on the trade market.  While, a lot of teams are going to want to deal players rather than lose them for nothing, the buying team would be forced to expose a player that they would rather not.

Factor in that the draft is weak and picks will have less value than for most years.

I just don't see a lot of action.

9 hours ago, chillie said:

Good post...

Yes maybe that would be a solution. if management don't want to lose special players, they could offer a certain player together with a pick.

But its a huge dilemma that faces the management.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think it will be interesting to see what the going price is, in terms of draft picks given to Vegas to not take a player. 

Like in the offer given above, we suggest giving a 3rd round pick for Vegas to choose Biega instead of Hansen. But think of it in terms of an actual trade with moving parts. From Vegas' point of view it is very similar to them trading away Hansen for Biega and a 3rd. I don't know about you guys, but Biega and a 3rd doesn't sound like fair value for Hansen.

Especially if in the same conversation we are mentioning our hope to trade away Hansen for a late 1st. I suspect that Vegas would want similar value in order to not take him (minus the value of whoever they can take instead). We are probably better off trying to find a way to move him before expansion, than we are paying for the privilege of keeping him. 

13 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Other than rentals, I think that the expansion draft will put a real damper on the trade market.  While, a lot of teams are going to want to deal players rather than lose them for nothing, the buying team would be forced to expose a player that they would rather not.

Factor in that the draft is weak and picks will have less value than for most years.

I just don't see a lot of action.

Vegas is going to drive everything pretty much - they only have to pick 20/30 players under contract thru 2017/18, and they get to start trading for picks and prospects right after the TDL, and you know there will be quiet side deals lined up in advance of that or via media guys like McKenzie. Teams who are looking to protect players from Vegas will want to hang on to as many picks as possible until after Mar 1st and prior to the expansion draft.

Our best chance of making a deal is with a team like COL or TOR who don't have much to lose via expansion (therefore don't mind moving a pick) but they probably only want Tanev, and thats probably not in the cards. 

While Benning has come out and said he will not be asking players about NTCs, I wonder if that includes if he is approached with a really good offer. A club like Pittsburgh; their scoring is a little top heavy. Hansen would fit in with that club rather well, I would think. Also, the window for that group is getting tight. Not that guys like Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are ancient, but you have to wonder how many more years they have at the level they are playing at. Getting a guy like Hansen, who can score some, is a top notch PK'er and all around 200ft guy, would lessen the overall load for them. It might be a case where Pittsburgh goes all in to get 1-2 more cup runs before the gas tank is empty. Hansen could fetch a 2nd + prospect from them, possibly.

This is just speculation, obviously, based on nothing except an observation about a top team going all in to win, and their needs matching up with players we have.

7 hours ago, bertuzzi4eva said:

I had thought a NMC had no bearing on the expansion draft .... covered only trades... as the expansion draft is not considered to be a trade, the NMC is null in this circumstance.

NMC = No MOVEMENT Clause. The expansion draft isn't a trade but it is still movement. It also protects the player from being put through waivers to be sent to the minors. NMC's are automatically protected in the expansion draft unless the player agrees to waive it. NTC's don't have to be protected as they only cover trades.

7 minutes ago, Baggins said:

NMC = No MOVEMENT Clause. The expansion draft isn't a trade but it is still movement. It also protects the player from being put through waivers to be sent to the minors. NMC's are automatically protected in the expansion draft unless the player agrees to waive it. NTC's don't have to be protected as they only cover trades.

It's amazing how hard of a time people are having with this.

12 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

While Benning has come out and said he will not be asking players about NTCs, I wonder if that includes if he is approached with a really good offer. A club like Pittsburgh; their scoring is a little top heavy. Hansen would fit in with that club rather well, I would think. Also, the window for that group is getting tight. Not that guys like Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are ancient, but you have to wonder how many more years they have at the level they are playing at. Getting a guy like Hansen, who can score some, is a top notch PK'er and all around 200ft guy, would lessen the overall load for them. It might be a case where Pittsburgh goes all in to get 1-2 more cup runs before the gas tank is empty. Hansen could fetch a 2nd + prospect from them, possibly.

This is just speculation, obviously, based on nothing except an observation about a top team going all in to win, and their needs matching up with players we have.

Kuzma talked to Benning and it sounds like it was more to keep media from continuously asking the players because it was a distraction last season.  He confirmed it this morning on TSN1040 and added that Montreal sent a scout last game to specifically watch Burrows.  

We’re going to see where we’re at,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning, who’s on a European scouting trip. “I’ll have individual conversations with those players and their agents, but we’re hoping we can stay in the (playoff) fight. But it’s a tough trip.”

Archived