The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Alex Edler could get traded because of the expansion draft

TDemko16

Doubt we will trade him as they'll consider trading Sbisa probably or maybe even Tanev before trading Edler. he is here to stay and has massive respect here by fans here with what he has accomplished here including a near cup win that fell just short. He will be a great mentor to the young D up and coming like Tram, Stecher, Guddy, Hutton

51 minutes ago, billabong said:

That move would put Hutton/tryamkin/sbisa as our go-to left side D for the shutdown pair that's asking a lot from either of them.

edler isn't perfect but he's a vet that takes on a lot of the heavy lifting on D

BUT if the return is something you can't ignore than bye bye Eddie 

Exactly. Our left side won't be that strong for the next little while if Edler is let go. 

Hutton still hasn't proven himself to be a bonafide top-4 defenceman yet; he needs another year or two to really get going. 

Sbisa is just as inconsistent as Edler when it comes to defensive plays. He's a good #5/6 defenceman but not a top-4 guy on a playoff team. 

Tryamkin has all the potential to be a solid top-2 defenceman, but we still have to give him a few years. 

If Benning thinks Juolevi is ready to make the jump next season, then Edler is definately expendable. However, I would wait until the offseason unless an offer comes along that JB can't refuse. 

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

I believe Edler has also stated that he would accept being traded if management told him that he was no longer needed. 

Dang guess we're going nowhere with this because management said they wouldn't ask players to waive their NTC

game over man, game over

It just doesn't seem likely that Edler goes.  An NTC, remaining term, underperforming... all adds up to making it a complicated deal and few suitors.

Keep in mind that another team would have to protect him in an expansion draft too (presumably they wouldn't pay for him in a trade and then leave him exposed)... which means they could lose another player they don't want to.

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks can't expose Edler he has a NTC.

Only Edler can decide if he wants to go somewhere, and where that is.

Deniro,

the canucks can expose any player that does not have a full NMC. Edler can be exposed and it does give management leverage. 

Basically they can say, LV can take you in the draft or we can trade you to a team willing to protect you.  Your choice. 

Can't see Edler liking the LV lifestyle. 

7 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Exactly. Our left side won't be that strong for the next little while if Edler is let go. 

Hutton still hasn't proven himself to be a bonafide top-4 defenceman yet; he needs another year or two to really get going. 

Sbisa is just as inconsistent as Edler when it comes to defensive plays. He's a good #5/6 defenceman but not a top-4 guy on a playoff team. 

Tryamkin has all the potential to be a solid top-2 defenceman, but we still have to give him a few years. 

If Benning thinks Juolevi is ready to make the jump next season, then Edler is definately expendable. However, I would wait until the offseason unless an offer comes along that JB can't refuse. 

We can lose some cap, play with a weaker left side, but our right side will be good with Tanev, Stecher and Guddy. 

Play Tanev with Sbisa as a shut down pair, Hutton with Guddy and Stecher with Trymakin (future top pair possibly). Not perfect but cheaper and depending on what we can extract for Edler, maybe better long term. 

As for Sbisa vs Edler.  Sbisa has been steadily improving his game. His peak will be nowhere near Edlers but he can be a solid top 4 shut down defender if he continues his steady ascension.

Currently Edler is the better player, but Edler has been largely declining over the past few years. He was an excellent top 2 defender, but now is injury prone with a back that could give out at any moment. 

Do you retain the older declining asset over the younger improving asset?  Added to that is what assets you get back in a trade.  Edler would be far more valuable to a cup contender than Sbisa.  

So it would be Sbisa plus the return from an Edler deal vs Edler and losing Sbisa to LV for no return.  It would be a poor use of assets for GMJB not to explore trading Edler.  

EW

Backwards logic. Every good team in the league already has their own D-men that need protecting. They're not going to pay fair value to add a guy that could essentially be a rental - or force them to expose another guy they wanted to protect.

There are likely going to be multiple good D-men available before the draft for reduced prices. If we are to trade Edler, it would be best to wait until AFTER the expansion draft, when his value would be significantly more. There will be some teams looking to replace a guy they lost.

13 hours ago, Vancity87 said:

However, he has a full no trade this year and has gone on record in the past saying he would NOT waive.

Kevin Bieksa:

"I'm going down with the ship".

A year later he's in Anaheim. Things change... often a lot faster than a year.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Backwards logic. Every good team in the league already has their own D-men that need protecting. They're not going to pay fair value to add a guy that could essentially be a rental - or force them to expose another guy they wanted to protect.

There are likely going to be multiple good D-men available before the draft for reduced prices. If we are to trade Edler, it would be best to wait until AFTER the expansion draft, when his value would be significantly more. There will be some teams looking to replace a guy they lost.

Elliot Friedman was just stating how contending teams feel that when they have a chance to go for it, they aren't afraid to make moves and deal with the consequences later. 

Edler might not get full value, but he will get value.  It's no different than teams trading for rentals every year.  The teams know the players wont be there at the start of next season yet still pay good value.  If a team thinks elder will put them over the top, I can easily see them making a move and paying a decent price.   

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Elliot Friedman was just stating how contending teams feel that when they have a chance to go for it, they aren't afraid to make moves and deal with the consequences later. 

Edler might not get full value, but he will get value.  It's no different than teams trading for rentals every year.  The teams know the players wont be there at the start of next season yet still pay good value.  If a team thinks elder will put them over the top, I can easily see them making a move and paying a decent price.   

I'd be looking for full value, myself. Why force the issue? Just to save Sbisa?

The only non-rental I'd seriously look at moving now would be Hansen. I think he'd get a good return, and a lot more teams have room to protect another forward than they do a D-man.

13 hours ago, goalie13 said:

How does this qualify as a rumour?  It just sounds like speculation based on current circumstances.

Eklund-esque blogger writes something with absolutely no basis or source other than their own opinion and CDC goes gaga.... :picard:

11 hours ago, billabong said:

That move would put Hutton/tryamkin/sbisa as our go-to left side D for the shutdown pair that's asking a lot from either of them.

edler isn't perfect but he's a vet that takes on a lot of the heavy lifting on D

BUT if the return is something you can't ignore than bye bye Eddie 

This is my thoughts as well. We certainly have deeper prospect depth on the left but most of it is still VERY green and/or not even ready for the NHL yet. I'm not opposed to moving Edler next year, or even more likely in the last year of his contract but it's too soon IMO. And even then, if Edler doesn't want to move, he's not likely going anywhere.

And while Sbisa and Tanev make an excellent shutdown 2nd pair, Edler and Stetcher are FAR closer to a passable (if not entirely world beating) 1st pair next year. Which would stay on point with management's 'remain competitive' mantra.

So unless Edler wants out, he's not going anywhere this season. Management will likely try hard to move one of Tanev or Sbisa ahead of expansion to minimize losses. I still like Tanev and one of Baer/Granlund for a top 3 forward myself.

9 hours ago, goblix said:

Dang guess we're going nowhere with this because management said they wouldn't ask players to waive their NTC

game over man, game over

There's  plenty of reasons on why management says such things and throughout the course of the year the direction the team is taking often dictates a change in course.

Never say never in professional sports.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

I'd be looking for full value, myself. Why force the issue? Just to save Sbisa?

The only non-rental I'd seriously look at moving now would be Hansen. I think he'd get a good return, and a lot more teams have room to protect another forward than they do a D-man.

I personally think Tanev gets moved before Edler but it really comes down to the offer.   If any teams are interested in edler it's with the idea that he's most likely a rental, having said that rental players do get decent returns. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I personally think Tanev gets moved before Edler but it really comes down to the offer.   If any teams are interested in edler it's with the idea that he's most likely a rental, having said that rental players do get decent returns. 

That's more plausible to me too, simply because Tanev has no trade protection, and can be sent anywhere (i.e. Colorado).

Edler's NTC means he will likely only go to a contender, and most of them have 3 D-men as valuable or more than him. It would have to be a fantastic offer.

All of this talk about Dmen not getting full value makes me want to trade for a bunch of teams 4th defender (saves them from being selected for nothing in the draft), we only lose 1 guy anyways in the draft, then trade them back after the draft when their value returns to normal (possibly even higher as teams are in more of a need for a number 4 after losing theirs. Buy low, sell high. Wall street style asset management.

Ps. I know this is unrealistic, but is a fun thought and would fun to see happen. 

Pps. Still more realistic than a lot of CDC proposals. 

Archived