The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Alex Edler could get traded because of the expansion draft

TDemko16

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm more confident in Brisbois and Juolevi, hell even Pedan, than I am any righty in our prospect base.

I might be underselling Subban versus Pedan.  But is what I am saying not completely fair otherwise? 

So yeah, there is that behind contemplating Edler instead of a Tanev trade?

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

We certainly have deeper prospect depth on the left but most of it is still VERY green and/or not even ready for the NHL yet. I'm not opposed to moving Edler next year, or even more likely in the last year of his contract but it's too soon IMO. And even then, if Edler doesn't want to move, he's not likely going anywhere.

And while Sbisa and Tanev make an excellent shutdown 2nd pair, Edler and Stetcher are FAR closer to a passable (if not entirely world beating) 1st pair next year. Which would stay on point with management's 'remain competitive' mantra.

So unless Edler wants out, he's not going anywhere this season. Management will likely try hard to move one of Tanev or Sbisa ahead of expansion to minimize losses. I still like Tanev and one of Baer/Granlund for a top 3 forward myself.

Edler, Stetcher

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Tryamkin 

Pedan, Biega

McEneny, Subban

Brisebois, Neill...etc

We'll be fine without him, or Sbisa. 

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

Signing a defenseman better than Edler in the off season, in the year 2017, will cost you $6m +. So no. 

Edler would prob come in around $4.5M on the open market. He is also a rapidly depreciating asset. I'd much rather throw $6M+ at UFA dman in his prime. 

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Not your best intervention WTWI - suggesting Killorn is going to win a Selke is straight up out to lunch.

And he's a 4.45 million cap hit btw.  

Something tells me you're not sure what player we're talking about here.

No for sure...I already realized that I think more of him than you do, but you still want him.  Tampa will be the most interesting team to watch this year, as usual.  They'll look to deal for sure.

Killorn has a sweet-heart contract.  Long-term for cheap.  And this stat-line is impressive:

2014-2015 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 71 15 23 38 36 | Playoffs 26 9 9 18 12 
 2015-2016 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 81 14 26 40 44 | Playoffs 17 5 8 13 42 

I may be going out on a limb, but I think he could have a Selke in his future.  Definitely a nomination.  If he has a 50+ season he will be right in the conversation, though it'll be hard to get by Kopitar and Bergeron.

I see your reasoning, I just think that this guy is off the table.  Let's call it a side-bet.  I see something happening with Callahan, Filpula, Palat, or Boyle.  A buyout of Callahan would be simplest, wouldn't it?

11 hours ago, goblix said:

Well Edler has had a couple of decent offensive years but he's never really been that offensive juggernaut. Lets shoot down the numbers.

2012-2013 -- 0.48 PPG

2013-2014 -- 0.34 PPG

2014-2015 -- 0.41 PPG

2015-2016 -- 0.38 PPG

2016-2017 -- 0.23 PPG

Keeping in mind that Edler plays against tough assignments, and kills penalties I'd be fine with him getting around 0.4 PPG which is pretty average overall but I think we all need to give up on Edler's offensive upside that we hoped for (if you haven't already).

Is Edler on the decline, most likely, but the guy bases his points on assists and the lack of offensive aptitude of the team doesn't help his overall numbers, after all, this is a team game.

Now  as for trading Edler, this is way way too complicated of a trade for this season.

What playoff team is going to look at Edler's 5m contract and will easily take that on for next year?

What team will pay the Edler price and be forced to either expose or protect him?

Take those 2 cases and now Edler has to be willing to waive his NTC clause...

Nearly impossible if you ask me, this is not a deadline or a pre-expansion type of deal.

So we still have 4 defensemen eligible for expansion, what should we do? Easy peasy... Trade Sbisa.

I mean last 2 years everyone hated him anyways or does CDC forget that easily, or does CDC have the Edler blinders on right now?

Sbisa has no NTC, is one year away from UFA and is much easier for a team to stomach in letting go to Vegas at expansion... Hell they may want Sbisa just for the exposure requirements to satisfy the requirements.

It all points to low value.  I don't see the Canucks saying yes, but teams that want Edler won't offer a package.  Probably just a 2nd round pick, maybe a low first.

12 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

It all points to low value.  I don't see the Canucks saying yes, but teams that want Edler won't offer a package.  Probably just a 2nd round pick, maybe a low first.

Teams don't want a guy who's capable of -40. We squandered his value. I think you're right, maybe even on the high end of things with a 2nd. He might be in lack territory where you see a 3rd coming back. 

We might get higher value for Hansen and/or Burrows 

26 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Teams don't want a guy who's capable of -40. We squandered his value. I think you're right, maybe even on the high end of things with a 2nd. He might be in lack territory where you see a 3rd coming back. 

We might get higher value for Hansen and/or Burrows 

I agree that league has likely not forgotten about his green jacket year.  Same with Burrows - I would tend to think that his 1 point in 40 games, or whatever it was, left an impression.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:04 PM, VIC_CITY said:

I want to see Edler traded along with Burrows, Miller and one of Hansen and Granlund. I think we'll see a lot of movement at the trade deadline because the price of acquiring players won't be as high as it's been in years past. 

Free agency will also be interesting because teams will be looking to fill those extra holes and we'll have one more team in on the bidding. 

19 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Ugh... I can't sorry but that post was so bad. How can you pool those players in with the likes of Edler... I just can't see why you would it's shameful. UNLESS you can explain to me why you would!?

13 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure, no problem.

Edler has been on the decline for about 5 years now. Had he been healthy all year, he'd be on pace to score 19 points over 82 games, which is a sharp decline from his already declining self. He is also making a good chunk of change ($5.0M) which could be used to sign a better defenseman in the offseason. You could also make the argument that we desperately need to trade a defenseman before we lose one for nothing in the expansion draft. 

Oh and in case you didn't notice, I'm not one of the people on here that thinks a team (Canucks) currently tied for 3rd worst in the NHL, is going to make the playoffs.

So it's pretty obvious. Shameful? Hardly.

While I agree with you on the Edler opinion, as I for one have been a fan of trading him since 2 years ago (NTC). You still never explained why you included the likes of Burrows, Hansen and Miller in with this statement. 

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Edler would prob come in around $4.5M on the open market. He is also a rapidly depreciating asset. I'd much rather throw $6M+ at UFA dman in his prime. 

No, he wouldn't. 

You'd rather sign a $6m+ UFA for 6+ years who will also be a 'rapidly declining asset' for the last half of that contract while we're both neither a contender and  already have a plethora of young D who will be needing raises before that $6m+and 6years+ D contract is up.

Thank Gordie you're not in charge.

On 2/6/2017 at 4:44 AM, DeNiro said:

He could also call their bluff. I doubt the Canucks would give him to Vegas for nothing.

If a trade does go down it will happen in the offseason out of respect to Edler. Management has already said they won't ask players to waive.

re NTC it was apparently Benning wanting to get media off the players' back as it was a distraction last season.  Kuzma said he spoke to Benning (who is scouting in Europe) and that he will be talking to players and their agents depending on how the road trip goes.  Kuzma mentioned that Montreal sent a scout to specifically watch Burrows last game. 

Bob McKenzie does not think that the Canucks would move Edler or Tanev.

Just now, mll said:

Bob McKenzie does not think that the Canucks would move Edler or Tanev.

I don't see them moving either D, at least not at the TDL either. If we're moving any of our D (whether that be Edler, Tanev or Sbisa), it's far more likely to be after our season and before the expansion draft.

Just now, J.R. said:

I don't see them moving either D, at least not at the TDL either. If we're moving any of our D (whether that be Edler, Tanev or Sbisa), it's far more likely to be after our season and before the expansion draft.

Yep Especially when it comes to moving Tanev. The teams interested in Tanev (ARZ, TB) are not in the playoff running so they are more likely to be focused on selling than buying at TD.  Canucks get to hold onto tanev for our own playoff race and then once april 10th hits (if canucks don't make it), it's open season.

42 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

While I agree with you on the Edler opinion, as I for one have been a fan of trading him since 2 years ago (NTC). You still never explained why you included the likes of Burrows, Hansen and Miller in with this statement. 

Miller and Burrows are both pending UFAs. Hansen or Granlund may be lost for nothing in the expansion draft and we aren't making the playoffs. We need to cash in on whatever tradeable assets we have, unlike last year. This rebuild/retool is by no means complete. We need to add prospects and draft picks and trading the aforementioned players helps accomplish this.

Canucks get to hold onto tanev for our own playoff race

Look at our schedule for the rest of the year - the only thing we're going to be racing for is last place.  The next 30 games are probably going to be close to the worst 30 game stretch we've ever had (and we've had some pretty bad 30 game stretches before).

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep Especially when it comes to moving Tanev. The teams interested in Tanev (ARZ, TB) are not in the playoff running so they are more likely to be focused on selling than buying at TD.  Canucks get to hold onto tanev for our own playoff race and then once april 10th hits (if canucks don't make it), it's open season.

Re TBs' interest in Tanev.  Yzerman (and Sakic) were at the Anaheim-Florida game on Friday.  Ducks know they need to move a D before expansion.  

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think its going to be a weird TDL. Lots of teams selling and buying for next years teams. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Re TBs' interest in Tanev.  Yzerman (and Sakic) were at the Anaheim-Florida game on Friday.  Ducks know they need to move a D before expansion.  

Yeah I saw that.  I'm curious to what the ducks do, they are loaded with D isn't not even funny.  I wouldn't be surprises they move two pieces. 

2 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

No for sure...I already realized that I think more of him than you do, but you still want him.  Tampa will be the most interesting team to watch this year, as usual.  They'll look to deal for sure.

Killorn has a sweet-heart contract.  Long-term for cheap.  And this stat-line is impressive:

2014-2015 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 71 15 23 38 36 | Playoffs 26 9 9 18 12 
 2015-2016 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 81 14 26 40 44 | Playoffs 17 5 8 13 42 

I may be going out on a limb, but I think he could have a Selke in his future.  Definitely a nomination.  If he has a 50+ season he will be right in the conversation, though it'll be hard to get by Kopitar and Bergeron.

I see your reasoning, I just think that this guy is off the table.  Let's call it a side-bet.  I see something happening with Callahan, Filpula, Palat, or Boyle.  A buyout of Callahan would be simplest, wouldn't it?

I don't see what makes Killorn a Selke candidate.   Not sure what you mean by 'if he has a 50+ season' - if you're referring to points that has nothing to do with Selke nominations and if you're referring to +/- he's -9.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201617&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=50&teamid=27&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

his possession numbers aren't very good

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/players/651621/alex-killorn/#-1

not much of a puck hound (-11 turnover differential, only 16 takeaways)

doesn't play on their shutdown line - plays with Kucherov and Johnson

$4.45 million is about market value for a 40pt player - wouldn't call that a bargain by any stretch.

I have no idea who is "otb" for Tampa - hoping to move Callahan and his NMC - or Filpulla likewise - is maybe a big dream - and why would they move Palat over Killorn?  Boyle is a UFA and would be a rental that doesn't really effect the expansion draft.  Not sure you've come up with more realistic or viable options here.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

No, he wouldn't. 

You'd rather sign a $6m+ UFA for 6+ years who will also be a 'rapidly declining asset' for the last half of that contract while we're both neither a contender and  already have a plethora of young D who will be needing raises before that $6m+and 6years+ D contract is up.

Thank Gordie you're not in charge.

Other than logging minutes, Edler has done nothing to warrant a $5.0M salary this season, let alone next season if he were to be a UFA. He's slower, less physical and way less offensive than ever before. I think you are overvaluing Edler due tot he simple fact that we have no true 1st pairing defensemen, so Edler gets those minutes by default. If you disagree, I challenge you to find me the last defenseman that scored at less than .25 PPG heading into UFA status (and wasn't one of the league's top defensive defensemen) that got a contract of $5M annually.

We can most definitely get a better player for that money. Jason Demers signed with Florida last summer for 5 years @ $4.5M per. To date, he has 9 goals and 13 assists in 52 games.

Archived