The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-assign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, combover said:

Huh. Less and less young players excelling under willies "system"  stecher seems to be struggling now too.

But then again that same statement could be used on any canuck over the past two seasons. 

Send them down so green can rebuild the destroyed confidence. 

Chaput megna skillie Larsen are  willies top 4 players. 

Gaunce is probably happy down deep just  to get away from wonky willie. 

Tryamkin was looking a little off lately as well, but that's probably because Larsen was dragging him down like a ball'n'chain, the body language on Tree after Larsen gave Mikael Granlund the hattrick was an indication.

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good luck Gaunce. He played well in his role and should be given more opportunity next year. Putting up points is important in this league, just ask Daniel Sedin.

I would have liked to see Gaunce get a chance with better line mates to see if he could produce.  He's smart and plays his role well but I think he could bring more given better teammates.  Megna was given a very long rope and produced diddly so why not give Gaunce a chance...Just remembered, WD is coach.  Boucher also will not get a look as long as we have Chaput, Megna to put on the ice.

Good news in this is, Gaunce gets to work with a coach that will not pigeon hole him. He can take on a more offensive/senior role and build his confidence.  Hopefully, WD is gone next year and Gaunce can have a legit chance to stay in the bigs.

55 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Does Boucher get a chance? Impending trade?

I mean Gaunce struggled offensively, but for a 4th liner, he's not a bad mix of size/speed and defensive ability. 

Neither. This was a move to keep Willie's pet Megna on the roster. 

10 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

We can't condemn the Leafs' treatment of Corrado if we keep doing this to Boucher. I know the 2 aren't the same, but the situation is not too far off. WD claims he doesn't know what he has in Boucher, which is why he's not playing him. How has nobody pointed out to him yet that you can't know what you have in a player unless you play him?

Yes exactly my thoughts.

Even now when a fairly young Boucher does get his chance I can't imagine it'll be easy knowing your coach has seen you practice and seen you in 1 game and is scared to put you on the ice. The kids probably going to be on pins and needles trying not to screw up so he's back in the press box for another couple weeks.

I don't like how WD handles the players at all. He's tough as nails and strict with younger players but let's some of the top players off the hook all the time never showing them they need to be better. Easy to pick on the weaker young non established guys working their asses off and too chicken to send any message to the higher end players who need a wake up call the odd time.

2 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

well someone had to go so that willie can get his boy megna back in the lineup

I'm convinced more than ever that Willie is actually trying to sabotage the Canucks' season record as a hidden tank, Megna does nothing and he likes Larsen and all because Larsen got the first goal of the season the other night he said Larsen was good and wants to put him on a PP unit despite his defensive liability... Gawd!

Gaunce was actually playing really well this season in a 4th line role. had he been on say Sutter's spot while Sutter was on the 3rd/4th line, then it would've been a different story and he would have at least a dozen points by now but Willie sheltered the hell out of the kid and barely gave him any offensive shifts, usually just forechecking and PK. hope Megna fills in well but would rather Boucher in the lineup. He's barely played and he's probably dying to get on the ice. he should play this week considering we have a back to back this weekend. 

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Understandable. This is the path of least resistance due to Gaunce's waivers exemption.

Was he the bottom forward in the order? I really don't think so. Sure his scoring numbers were low, in terms of pure counting stats. But in his role as a defensive 4th line forward, he has some of the best underlying numbers on the team (in terms of events differentials and events against--goals, shots, Corsi/Fenwick, scoring chances, etc).

But this reassignment isn't about merit. It's about mitigating waivers risk.

The upside to this move is that Gaunce will get high minutes in a top-six role with the Comets. He's proven he can be a competent 1/2C at that level. And hopefully he'll rediscover his scoring touch in Utica and possibly be able to carry some production back with him the next time he's recalled to Vancouver.

I'm also hoping he gets some time with Virtanen on his wing. I think those two might have a chance to build some chemistry in Utica. And if they can become a decent duo, they could possibly help each other grow into their NHL roles next season (assuming Gaunce isn't lost to expansion).

If nothing else, the Comets can definitely use the help.

I agree with everything you say here Sid but I really have to question if "It's about mitigating waivers risk" is the right approach in this instance. I really doubt anyone would claim any of Megna, Chaput or Skille and, if they did, would it really be a significant loss. Now our 4th line will have two RW's and one of Skille or Megna is going to have to play out of position and that just does not make sense to me.

I believe Gaunce has proven himself at the AHL level and his NHL performance does not warrant his demotion back to the AHL. There are only 3 players that I can see on the team with a better +/- (Sbisa, Tanev and Boucher) and his underlying numbers, as you have rightfully stated, are quite good. I just think there were better options available to make room for Hutton.

12 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I agree with everything you say here Sid but I really have to question if "It's about mitigating waivers risk" is the right approach in this instance. I really doubt anyone would claim any of Megna, Chaput or Skille and, if they did, would it really be a significant loss. Now our 4th line will have two RW's and one of Skille or Megna is going to have to play out of position and that just does not make sense to me.

I believe Gaunce has proven himself at the AHL level and his NHL performance does not warrant his demotion back to the AHL. There are only 3 players that I can see on the team with a better +/- (Sbisa, Tanev and Boucher) and his underlying numbers, as you have rightfully stated, are quite good. I just think there were better options available to make room for Hutton.

I'm with you. I suppose I'm just choosing to see the bright side this morning. 

Like I said, on a merit basis, I think the demotion is undeserved and there were better candidates (among the waivers eligible depth forwards). And I don't think this choice makes the team better.

But in terms of Gaunce's development, I don't think this hurts him. There's plenty of benefit to be gained from the higher minutes and better opportunities that Utica can provide.

That said, I strongly believe that Gaunce has already proven his value as an NHL role player. And I believe his has room to grow in terms of his scoring production at this level. So I'm not exactly happy to see him sent down (especially given the guys being kept around instead).

18 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Yes exactly my thoughts.

Even now when a fairly young Boucher does get his chance I can't imagine it'll be easy knowing your coach has seen you practice and seen you in 1 game and is scared to put you on the ice. The kids probably going to be on pins and needles trying not to screw up so he's back in the press box for another couple weeks.

I don't like how WD handles the players at all. He's tough as nails and strict with younger players but let's some of the top players off the hook all the time never showing them they need to be better. Easy to pick on the weaker young non established guys working their asses off and too chicken to send any message to the higher end players who need a wake up call the odd time.

Very true. Willie's inconsistency in dealing with players is glaring. When a rookie f's up, he's benched or sat out, when a established veteran goes on a prolonged scoring drought, somehow the "team" needs to "battle" more.

Obviously, benching a top six player not named Baertschi is:

• Not allowed as decreed from on high
  • Willie is afraid of the ramifications, or
  • in his mind, vets have earned the right to coast and go on autopilot.

All the same, as long as there are two standards set out, the team will play divided and continue to put in the Jekyll and Hyde season they have been up to this point. Personally, I'd prefer that they just Quasimodo this mofo (Quasimofo?) and be done with the illusion of playoff hockey here until there is a team in place that can handle the rigors of the postseason.

I think Gaunce is solid and played well.  Huge fan.  Think he's got lots of upside too.  That said he needs to get stronger on his skates.  He should have stayed up but more ice time in Utica will only help his developement.  WD should have used him in more offensive situations.  I think he had 2-3 shifts on Sutters line earlier in the season and he didn't look out of place at all but that was it.  He'll be a solid part of the team next yr.

45 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

We can't condemn the Leafs' treatment of Corrado if we keep doing this to Boucher. I know the 2 aren't the same, but the situation is not too far off. WD claims he doesn't know what he has in Boucher, which is why he's not playing him. How has nobody pointed out to him yet that you can't know what you have in a player unless you play him?

Wake me up if they did this to Boucher for another two or three months.

And the situation is very different actually.  Boucher isn't particularly fit - that much was obvious when he actually played.  That alone justifies giving him a period of getting up to speed.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Very true. Willie's inconsistency in dealing with players is glaring. When a rookie f's up, he's benched or sat out, when a established veteran goes on a prolonged scoring drought, somehow the "team" needs to "battle" more.

This is BS.   When Stetcher, Hutton OR Tryamkin make mistakes he puts them right back out there. Everytime.  

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

This is BS.   When Stetcher, Hutton OR Tryamkin make mistakes he puts them right back out there. Everytime.  

Fair enough. Stecher gets the nod because the team has very little other options in the d-corps when it comes to speed and offensive flair, and Stecher just never stops trying.

Tryamkin gives the Canucks a presence on the backend that would be glaring if removed. He makes other teams think twice about taking liberties. And he was sat for a prolonged period in the beginning of the year.

Hutton, on the other hand, was putting forth some pretty subpar play in the beginning of the year, and wasn't improving by being thrown back out there. Gudbranson's adjustment period can be utilized as an excuse into infinity, but fact is that Hutton wasn't playing up to his potential. Hopefully this time off has helped reset him.

If Larsen is sitting in favour of Hutton's return, than I'll begin eating some words now. Starting with pie.

Definitely good elements to his game, but needs to be proactive in all three zones.

Still think if he could add an extra half a step gear in his skating would help him when it comes to forechecking, be more physical and find better spots in the offensive zone.

I honestly think he is better suited at centre than wing.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

It's just like an employer not hiring an employee because he doesn't have any job experience.

23 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

I think he was sent to Utica as he was one who didn't have to clear waivers - something had to happen - I like Gaunce , think he has all kinds of potential and believe Utica will be good for him.

So they pickup Boucher off waivers knowing they have to play him or lose him to waivers but WD won't play him and they end up having to send Gaunce down to make room for Boucher.  Bloody brilliant asset management.  

WHy would any young player with the option of going elsewhere (BOeser) want to come and play under this coach?  The team is a bottom feeder despite WD's best "playing to win now" efforts, and yet he won't make space on this crappy roster for players that just might make a difference.

So frustrated watching a crappy product from a bottom 5 team with no creativity or flexibility.  I'd rather have Torts back...at least he was entertaining.

Archived