The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks re-assign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I love all the Boucher love.

CDC is so f---- predictable. A guy who hasn't made it anywhere comes to us off waivers and somehow he must be what we have waited for all season - why? Because he's new, of course.

no.... because he's not named Megna. And scored a ton in junior. And isn't named Megna. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly, that's good to hear. I've had similar concerns occasionally this year. And I've wondered at times if Willie was really thinking about that part of Gaunce's development.

Gaunce deserves a lot of credit for his success as a role player. Defensively, his minutes have been extremely "low event" while providing the team with arguably the most favourable "differentials" (CF%RelTM, SCF%, etc) of any player on the roster. He's absolutely been successful as a bottom-six "shutdown" forward and the various configurations of the 4th line that have included Gaunce have generally managed to spend the bulk of their minutes in the opposition end (even if not scoring at a high rate).

This is all good stuff. And plenty of guys have made a living off of playing a similar game in the NHL.

But it sounds like Willie believes that Gaunce can be even more than just a defensive forward. And I share this opinion.

So if going to Utica and playing first or second line, and on the power play, provides a spark to Gaunce's offensive game, then it's a good move. 

Gaunce has probably earned a spot as a regular member of this team's future 4th line. But if he can find his scoring touch, he has the potential to play more of a middle-six role going forward. And that's definitely the kind of "bang for your buck" you'd like to see from a late 1st round pick.

Bring him back, put him with Dorsett and Hansen (well Kenins is gone) and I guarantee he gets his scoring touch back. - Just like Bo.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

no.... because he's not named Megna. And scored a ton in junior. And isn't named Megna. 

You know that's not true?:rolleyes:

Megna played well for us, it remains to be seen what Boucher can do in a 4th line role. Personally I think he may need to be played further up the lines to be effective. Another smurf, to be knocked about at the end of the day, can't we pick up anyone with size off waivers?

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

You know that's not true?:rolleyes:

Megna played well for us, it remains to be seen what Boucher can do in a 4th line role. Personally I think he may need to be played further up the lines to be effective. Another smurf, to be knocked about at the end of the day, can't we pick up anyone with size off waivers?

Compared to what? No really? How many plugs in the AHL can skate well? He can't pass or shoot, let alone score. 

I don't think I'd call Megna a player with "size"  - he and Boucher are the same weight.... granted Boucher probably has more in common with Wellwood but we're missing out on nothing by sitting Megna, assuming Boucher is in game shape. 

Due to people coming back from injury, someone had to be sent down.  What if Green was asked beforehand who he wanted out of a select few players.....?  

I know that if I had the choice between Megna, Chaput, Skille, or Gaunce, I'd definitely be taking that Megna guy...

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Bring him back, put him with Dorsett and Hansen (well Kenins is gone) and I guarantee he gets his scoring touch back. - Just like Bo.

Actually that could work... 

Feel Hansen has too much to offer to play less than 10 min per game, but otherwise.... Hansen has brought life to every line he's been put on.

Interesting combination...

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah Boucher not playing is all because of some made up love affair with Megna and not because Boucher was huffing and puffing after just 4 minutes of ice time... :rolleyes:

Some people have no concept of how to watch hockey.  But boy can they whine.  Pick the weakest player and just hammer him, cause it's so weird for a team to play a depth player.  If we haven't seen a guy play, he's basically a star until proven otherwise.  If we have seen him, well, we may not know what we saw.

It's the ultimate crime, claiming a depth guy and having him sit.  It's almost never happened before.  My kindergarten moral compass is exploding in outrage.

12 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Don't screw this up buitterballIs he going to use a Mobility scooter on the ice? I mean, that' how people who are/.....over large get around right?

Maybe Boucher's folks followed this style of parenting?

ad_7up175baby.jpg

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree with this move.  I think any forward in today's NHL needs to have the ability to chip in with scoring here and there.  I was ok with Gaunce's game overall, but I do feel he has the ability to be a better rounded player that he just wasn't showing at this level.  Hopefully with the increased ice time and lesser defensive competition he can get some confidence and put the puck in the net once in a while down there.

Seriously.  I'm not surprised that the herd here loves this guy, I mean hey, we drafted him and we fall in love with our guys like a bunch of pre-teen girls, but you have to score.  Dorsett and Skille look like Lemieux compared to this guy.  1 goal, off the skates, in 67 games.  That's fkn tragic.  And that line has had lots of chances.  But Gaunce has no intensity and no touch.  Maybe he'll be a decent NHLer one day (and no, that doesn't include guys that can't score), but right now, this is very easy choice to make.

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Some people have no concept of how to watch hockey.  But boy can they whine.  Pick the weakest player and just hammer him, cause it's so weird for a team to play a depth player.  If we haven't seen a guy play, he's basically a star until proven otherwise.  If we have seen him, well, we may not know what we saw.

It's the ultimate crime, claiming a depth guy and having him sit.  It's almost never happened before.  My kindergarten moral compass is exploding in outrage.

kind of like when guys freak out over people just wanting to swap out depth players to see what we have in other prospects? :P

Megna is what he is. He's not worth keeping in vs. seeing if there's anything to be had with Boucher, especially this year, with the caveat that Boucher is in actual game shape. No one is saying Boucher is a star (well I'm not anyway) but it would be interesting to see if he has any kind of chemistry with Sutter or Chaput. 

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

He was deployed in a conservTuve, defensive capacity with Skille and Chaput as linemates.  McDavid would have trouble producing possible points in that situation.  

Then consider Megna, who is still with the team, and what he produced with all his 1st line and pp opportunity. 

Gaunce may be a victim of waivers  but he is not the guy that deserves to be sent down.

Pathetic.  4th players are allowed to go all year without scoring, because they have to play with other 4th liners?  That's a joke.  Vey was twice as effective as this guy - but don't let any details get in the way of your strict love/hate dichotomies.

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Seriously.  I'm not surprised that the herd here loves this guy, I mean hey, we drafted him and we fall in love with our guys like a bunch of pre-teen girls, but you have to score.  Dorsett and Skille look like Lemieux compared to this guy.  1 goal, off the skates, in 67 games.  That's fkn tragic.  And that line has had lots of chances.  But Gaunce has no intensity and no touch.  Maybe he'll be a decent NHLer one day (and no, that doesn't include guys that can't score), but right now, this is very easy choice to make.

I thinks its unfair to say he has no intensity. He hits, makes a lot of plays. If skille could he would look half decent. 

4 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

He's not really what I think a fourth line player should be, he's got great heart and a head for the game but he's neither mean enough or fast enough for that role. Seems a good kid though, wish him all the best and I hope he makes the grade in the long run.

He gets nothing done, so yeah, maybe not a great 4th liner.  Maybe not an NHLer.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

AT the beginning of the season I was hoping for 40 games so that Gaunce could get a solid feel for NHL play. I agree that because he does not need waivers it probably meant he was the option to reduce the roster. As you said the positive is that Gaunce goes to the AHL and gets top 6 TOI. What better example could Benning send down to show Virtanen  how to develop a work attitude. I suspect Gaunce is back before the season ends. 

Fans who are degrading Chaput and Skille are head scratchers to me. Both are having solid years. The 4th line has had many games where they were the best Canuck line on the ice. They regularly had shifts where they were in the ozone for the entire shift. They have to get Boucher into games if they want to resign him.

There's really no mystery. 

Archived