The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Claude Julien next Canuck head coach?

7 hours ago, stuman491 said:

In my best @oldnews voice: That argument is a non sequitur.  I shouldn't have to point out that Keenan is a different person than Julian.  Just because Keenan came in and made a mess of things in no way implies that Julian would do the same.  

Sorry stu, but gonna have to give you a fail here.

First, @oldnews, as opposed to any of that, is far, far more likely to say "speak for yourself".

Second, I've never in my life used that term "non sequitur".  Hate it.  It sounds way too legal/logic/philosopher pretender for me.

Third, Julian would be welcome here, particularly if he stood behind the bench with a high-ball.  Julien on the other hand, different kind of person or not, no thanks.

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Why the hell would we do that?

Gallant/Green 

Gallant knows Gudbranson and he knows offensive D structure.  He is also capable of not only developing youth but committing to them too

Green knows our structure our prospects our plans.

Why the hell would we get Julien....

Yeah because rookie NHL coaches work out so well. Why go after an experienced Stanley cup winning coach when we can throw another AHL coach at this sluggish untalented roster. Oh and the other guy knows Gudbranson - WHY HAVENT WE HIRED HIM YET DURRR DURRRRRRRRTTT

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry stu, but gonna have to give you a fail here.

First, @oldnews, as opposed to any of that, is far, far more likely to say "speak for yourself".

Second, I've never in my life used that term "non sequitur".  Hate it.  It sounds way too legal/logic/philosopher pretender for me.

Third, Julian would be welcome here, particularly if he stood behind the bench with a high-ball.  Julien on the other hand, different kind of person or not, no thanks.

lol that's awesome.

FYI I wasn't trying to mock you in anyway.  You just use logical fallacies a lot.  I happen to like them to.  I figured you would have pointed that out, but as you say I suppose on that one you wouldn't have. Re-reading my post I realize how it could have come across that way.  My bad. 

10 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

Should the Canucks hire Julien as their next head coach if they fail to make the playoffs?  Julien's an experienced winning coach in the NHL.  He's respected around the league as a great motivator and tactician.  He's the winningest coach in Bruin history.  He's won a Stanley Cup and has a gold medal at the international level.  And of course he's got that connection with Jim Benning.

This is not really Canucks Talk and is redundant to the Claude Julien firing thread. Since there is a decent amount of discussion here I have moved it to the Proposals and Armchair GM'ing subforum and added the proper tag to avoid locking the thread. 

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Why Julien? Don't you know we are only a coach with a bigger stick away from being a contender? Gallant/Green makes to much sense and therefore has to be thrown out. Consider yourself lucky for not being banned!

Ban him anyway!

Just now, stuman491 said:

lol that's awesome.

FYI I wasn't trying to mock you in anyway.  You just use logical fallacies a lot.  I happen to like them to.  I figured you would have pointed that out, but as you say I suppose on that one you wouldn't have. 

Hey thanks - I know you were just having fun - didn't take it as a shot - but don't mind shots either haha - it's hockey talk after all.

Couldn't resist the chance to get Julian behind the bench though.  Team would learn a lot.  New systems.  Denial and error.

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

Are-you-sure---meme-32356.jpg

Roster turnover and youth says otherwise. You may, by all means, disagree with HOW they're rebuilding but denying they're rebuilding is just...

head-in-sand.png

If Benning landed Loui AND Lucic, how the hell can you call it a rebuild? He wanted both, and Aquilini would've cut the cheques. The Canucks are just lucky the McJesus factor saved them from cap hell. It's a retool. You can use the "rebuild" title when they start an actual fire sale.

9 hours ago, mll said:

Haggerty was just on TSN1040.  

One of the reasons Boston is moving on is because he is reluctant to play their young players.  They think the league is trending towards younger more speed and skills and that he is too conservative.  When things get tough he tends to clog it up and be happy to win a 1 goal game but that's not how the Bruins want to play going forward.  They want a coach that will adjust to more youth, speed and skills.

If so, then it's just another case of CDC seeing the grass as greener everywhere but here. I certainly didn't have any inclination to push for him as our next coach, but this would significantly detract from him being a good choice for us as a rebuilding team.

What's too bad is it was almost immediately overlooked by posters talking about how he'd play Virtanen and be such a good choice for our youngsters and, and, and... Maybe they'll see it now.

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

The only people I've seen call it a rebuild are Benning apologists on CDC.

Canucks Management: "rebuild would be unfair to the Sedins."

Bob Mackenzie when asked about Canucks rebuild: "What rebuild?"

Just proving you don't listen.. And you use old quotes.  A for effort though.  

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hey thanks - I know you were just having fun - didn't take it as a shot - but don't mind shots either haha - it's hockey talk after all.

Couldn't resist the chance to get Julian behind the bench though.  Team would learn a lot.  New systems.  Denial and error.

Worst case Ontario at least we would have a new escape goat  :lol:

No, don't want Julien as our next coach.  He was a Montreal coach, Boston coach in which won only one cup and what he had done with better Boston roster than Vancouver roster will make this team suddenly better?   I doubt it.  Get me a coach that is good at development program that actually develops NHL players, not one Willie's kind.  He may be a good developmental coach... in AHL, but has not proven to us that he is good at it in NHL level.  

15 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well now, that sounds like a challenge. 

Have players developed under him? Yes

Have we had playoff success? No

Have we had regular season success? 1/3

Is Willie capable of out-coaching opponents during games? No

Has Willie made some very questionable line decisions? Yes 

Not sure that qualifies him to coach a team over Julien. Not saying Julien is the right fit for us, but he certainly has a better resume. 

Yeh and Willie has a better resume than Green - see what I did there?

Willie is over .500 (I know it's a miracle given the talent in this team)  in the NHL so I reckon he has out coached a good many NHL vet coaches.

He has a .612 in the WHL, a .668 in the AHL and a .533 in the NHL.

As for a reference to the playoffs - you are funny - we are about halfway through a "stunted" (because of the Twins) rebuild, I reckon we are doing well to be where we are in the circumstances. Why not judge the man once he has a team that is not tipped by all to be in the bottom 3.

Jeez you are so desperate, you've parked your logic outside and let your bias run your thought processes.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

He might as well try many have.  Are we havin' any fun yet?

"I guess we're stupid, we're idiots and they're the smartest team in the league."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2012/01/peter-chiarelli-claude-julien-find-canucks-propaganda-against-brad-marchand-distasteful-hypocritical/

Just don't see this guy behind the Canuck's bench - hard to wrap the mind's eye around.

Archived