The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Duchene to Canucks

This is one of the scenarios that really highlights the gap between the ask and what teams are willing to pay. Similarly to Alf and HowYa, I would shy away from paying that price. 

But from the other end, I think this may actually be LESS than what they have been asking. All signs point to them wanting a clear top 4 D along with the first and good prospect. I am not convinced that other teams see Hutton as that valuable centrepiece at the moment. I love him dearly, but he HAS had a bit off a rough season. 

Just shows how bonkers the Col ask is at the moment. We will see if it drops closer to the date. 

7 minutes ago, HowYaDrouin said:

Hells to the nooooooooooo.....

We need to keep Ben Hutton, he's our rare diamond in the rough.. 

Between 2002 - 2017 we have only had one 5th round player actually be a full member of our team. I don't want to trade that.

I thought that was Stetcher or Gaudette?

This would be a step back and considering TL said we're not mortgaging our future for a playoff push. And trading a potential #1 defenceman in the process, not cool. There's like 10 #1 defensemen in the league and OJ could be one of them. 

Tanev straight up is probably more feasible

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

wow take a joke people, also look a few posts up. Plus scouts are saying Gaudette is already a diamond in the rough

I thought you were being serious, how could I tell that was a joke ? Maybe a haha or a lol after what you put would have made it seem a joke. Sorry for trying to answer your question.

39 minutes ago, HowYaDrouin said:

Hells to the nooooooooooo.....

We need to keep Ben Hutton, he's our rare diamond in the rough.. 

Between 2002 - 2017 we have only had one 5th round player actually be a full member of our team. I don't want to trade that.

While I agree that that would be overpayment, not sure I understand the last sentence. If Ben was a 2nd round player, would you be more willing to trade him? Or if he was undrafted, would you be more willing to trade him?

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

While I agree that that would be overpayment, not sure I understand the last sentence. If Ben was a 2nd round player, would you be more willing to trade him? Or if he was undrafted, would you be more willing to trade him?

I just personally like the fact that hes a late round pick that we actually found. It's so rare for us...

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

I know another Duchene proposal but I think this one is realistic. 

Canucks trade: Hutton, Virtanen/Juolevi and a 1st. 

Avalanche want young guys who can play a 1st also a prospect. Personally I wouldn't do this but its what they said they would want.

Duchene will be good for another 4 year's and then we r back to where we started. Might as well keep virtanen Hutton and our first. If rather draft high this year then miss the playoffs by so little or get into the playoffs and lose in 4 long games. 

We aren't ready

8 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Duchene will be good for another 4 year's and then we r back to where we started. Might as well keep virtanen Hutton and our first. If rather draft high this year then miss the playoffs by so little or get into the playoffs and lose in 4 long games. 

We aren't ready

I would say he will be good for another 6-7 years however I look at it as we have to become competitive in the next couple seasons if were ever going to reach that elite level. I'd rather not bottom feed forever. Duchene would be a good piece for transitioning from the Sedins to a new core. Honestly go ahead and Delete the Sedins from our lineup then try to imagine a scenario where that group takes the next step. Freeagency is not the way you want to surround Horvat and build a contender. 

Duchene will make us better and might make us a playoff team but I don't think he will make us a cup contender so I don't want to give up 4 pieces for him. There is no short cut, we've gotta draft and develop our own talent. It will take some time but we already have some foundations in place, like Bo Horvat and the promising D core including Hutton and Juolevi.

Archived