Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Predators


-Vintage Canuck-

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, VanGnome said:

There's no bias, just an absolute ineptitude to do one's job. Literally they had one job to do, McLeod KNEW where Baertschi was otherwise his arm wouldn't have moved prior to the collision and the hit would have been of no consequence. The fact that the arm moved PRIOR to contact, and was guided directly to the head as the principle point of contact resulting in a concussed Baertschi is all one needs to know that it was deliberate and delivered with intent.

 

What pisses me off is clean hits like Zadorov on Scheiffele illicit a strong response from the rest of his teammates, but this gets not a single rise out of anyone on the Canucks. If I was a teammate of Baertschi, and saw him laid out nowhere near the puck, I would have been all over the opponent to delivered that hit. 5 and a game misconduct along with a fine for standing up for a teammate? Done.

The fact that NO ONE stands up for their teammates when stupid $&!# happens on this team just issues a memorandum to the rest of the league to say "open season on our best players. Here's a door mat, please wipe your muddy feet before trouncing all over us". This team needs an identity of brotherhood. Standing up for one another at any and all costs. PUNISHING those who take liberties with our best players.

Unfortunately that will NEVER happen until the Sedins are gone. They go over and above to not emotionally engage or match their opposition and for some reason, maybe out of misguided respect the rest of the team follows suit. I love the Sedins, I respect them for what they've done for this franchise and city but they have absolutely no backbone when it comes to confrontation.

Something funny struck me yesterday as I was watching the game. Shorthouse was commentating, and one of the plays Daniel was skating in to retrieve the puck and Shorthouse said "Daniel Sedin pressures _______" when in reality all he did was glide in and give him a teddy bear hug against the boards. I miss rough and tumble Canucks, when players would finish EVERY check, and make the opponent hurt. Hit to Hurt. That's why we drafted Virtanen, that's why we signed Dorsett, that's why we drafted Tryamkin, and traded for Gudbranson. I hope like hell that's the culture Benning is trying to build, a strong mix of physicality, speed and skill.

I like the philosophy of "an eye for an eye". When I coached competitive hockey, I told the players that if they run our goalie, then we run their goalie; if they take out our best player, we take out their best player. Also, I told them not to lose their s&%t when it happens to us because the zebras always call the retaliation; instead revenge is a dish best served cold...no one f36k'd with us as a result.

 

by the way...we were the least penalized team and top team in the league. The team became a band of brothers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would take that trade

53 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Hansen and Edler can get us a first. Burrows can get a third. Sedins salary is retained by 50% can net us a 1st, prospect, roster dump and a 2nd. Good young talent can definitely seep through. Cuz let's face it only boeser Juolevi Demko and gaudette are our only real prospects

I would take that trade in a heart beat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

Physicality to dominate but not hurt. Remember the Cali road swing with Sestito and two 7 min. 5 on 3s for sticking up for players. I wanted it to continue but the league obviously laid down the law and the ref's were having a blast punishing the Nucks. I say frack the league and goon up for the next three years as we stockpile high picks. I would watch that kind of hockey. A feisty loss is easier to stomach. The current display on the other hand is humiliating.  

My one disappointment with Torts was not continuing with the 7 min 5-3s. He got himself suspended next game and then backed down. Remember that Joke reporter calling Sestito names? If the Canucks had run that streak to 4 games many would have had to ask what the NHL is doing. Instead it turn into the Torts show which IMO took the heat off the NHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah me too. Fun to watch.

 

But those teams in the past did not win any cup. And to be honest, the NHL is a different league compared to then.

 

its not that different.

the problem is the Canucks are always playing "Catch Up"

Late to the party and trying to que jump the next move to a softer league.

Remember the Peca for Mogilny trade? Traded our first Selke winner for flash + dash, and our team stunk.

2011, went all Euro-scoring and won the league but fell to the big bad Bruins.

Kept Burrows but got rid or Torres.

This is a recurring theme with this franchise.

Now is the perfect time to build a team to brutalize the rest of the league, but the Canucks will follow along and be all surprised when LA or Boston come back and win another cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am glad others are seeing what I have been saying for a long time now. Our leaders are not leading and they have not been for years now. Give Bo the Captaincy and lets get a new "work ethic" change NOW.

I have seen a team which had all the tools to win a Cup but lacked the leadership to actually finish it. I seen a team which was doing not bad ,the first half of the season, and then let the wheels completely fall off during the Torts season. I seen a team play hard for maybe the last 5 minutes of a game(give or take) on many games over the years and play nonchalant for the rest of it. I have seen this way too much and I feel sorry for those who actually pay to see this in person year after year.

I don't think the Sedins have that "killer instinct" or the "childhood dream of winning a Stanley Cup" on their mind..........ever.

Let Bo lead the team, lead the PP and get rid of the "soft " players once and for all. Oh yeah and get rid of that soft cushy Coach while your at it. If a guy is not playing hard in a game, BENCH HIM!!! No matter who he is. If he does it consistently, bring someone else in to take his place.

And lastly, please don't interview a Sedin again. They say the same old thing they have been saying since they came here. You might as well just tape them and replay it over and over again.

No more "Harlem Globetrotters" for a team I want to see a good hard working Canadian team who has the heart and desire to win a championship.

Sorry for the rant I feel better now. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am glad others are seeing what I have been saying for a long time now. Our leaders are not leading and they have not been for years now. Give Bo the Captaincy and lets get a new "work ethic" change NOW.

I have seen a team which had all the tools to win a Cup but lacked the leadership to actually finish it.

Sorry, but you lost me right there.  If you think you can hang the SCF loss on "leadership" I'm not sure I have much faith in your prescription.

I'd take the other half of our blueline over better 'leadership' thanks.

Btw, the idea that the team's leadership lack 'work ethic' is really misplaced criticism imo.

Do they lack grit?  Yes.  Do they lack an extra gear?  Yes, they're neither fast nor physical - they're not the type to "turn it up".  

But do they lack 'work ethic"?   Really?  Are we asking that question with all we know about their consistency, their fitness, their longevity, their durability despite all the punishment they've taken.  They are slow, not particularly mean or physical cycle players after all.  They are pretty damn adept down low (in the ozone that is haha) - they win board battles, they maintain possession in the hard areas, etc.  
You can knock some things about the Sedins, but knocking their work ethic is pretty off imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry, but you lost me right there.  If you think you can hang the SCF loss on "leadership" I'm not sure I have much faith in your prescription.

Btw, the idea that the team's leadership lack 'work ethic' is really misplaced criticism imo.

Do they lack grit?  Yes.  Do they lack an extra gear?  Yes, they're neither fast nor physical - they're not the type to "turn it up".  

But do they lack 'work ethic"?   Really?  Are we asking that question with all we know about their consistency, their fitness, their longevity, their durability despite all the punishment they've taken.  They are slow, not particularly mean or physical cycle players after all.  They are pretty damn adept down low (in the ozone that is haha) - they win board battles, they maintain possession in the hard areas, etc.  
You can knock some things about the Sedins, but knocking their work ethic is pretty off imo.

You cannot say 100% whether I am right or wrong about the SC all we have here is opinions and that is my opinion. I have seen many hockey players in the past 25-30 years so I think I can tell the difference in different levels of "leadership". I have seen some great leaders such as Linden, Messier, Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic etc. etc. and some so-so leaders such as Henrik, Naslund, Thornton, Hall and Zetterburg.

Answer me these questions. Do the Sedins mostly check with their bodies or their sticks most of the time? How many hooking or holding penalties do they get? How many times have you seen them hook a guy instead of skating a little harder to body him off the puck? I rest my case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, VanGnome said:

There's no bias, just an absolute ineptitude to do one's job. Literally they had one job to do, McLeod KNEW where Baertschi was otherwise his arm wouldn't have moved prior to the collision and the hit would have been of no consequence. The fact that the arm moved PRIOR to contact, and was guided directly to the head as the principle point of contact resulting in a concussed Baertschi is all one needs to know that it was deliberate and delivered with intent.

 

What pisses me off is clean hits like Zadorov on Scheiffele illicit a strong response from the rest of his teammates, but this gets not a single rise out of anyone on the Canucks. If I was a teammate of Baertschi, and saw him laid out nowhere near the puck, I would have been all over the opponent to delivered that hit. 5 and a game misconduct along with a fine for standing up for a teammate? Done.

The fact that NO ONE stands up for their teammates when stupid $&!# happens on this team just issues a memorandum to the rest of the league to say "open season on our best players. Here's a door mat, please wipe your muddy feet before trouncing all over us". This team needs an identity of brotherhood. Standing up for one another at any and all costs. PUNISHING those who take liberties with our best players.

Unfortunately that will NEVER happen until the Sedins are gone. They go over and above to not emotionally engage or match their opposition and for some reason, maybe out of misguided respect the rest of the team follows suit. I love the Sedins, I respect them for what they've done for this franchise and city but they have absolutely no backbone when it comes to confrontation.

Something funny struck me yesterday as I was watching the game. Shorthouse was commentating, and one of the plays Daniel was skating in to retrieve the puck and Shorthouse said "Daniel Sedin pressures _______" when in reality all he did was glide in and give him a teddy bear hug against the boards. I miss rough and tumble Canucks, when players would finish EVERY check, and make the opponent hurt. Hit to Hurt. That's why we drafted Virtanen, that's why we signed Dorsett, that's why we drafted Tryamkin, and traded for Gudbranson. I hope like hell that's the culture Benning is trying to build, a strong mix of physicality, speed and skill.

Put Gudbranson, Dorsett, and Tryamkin with another year of confidence under his belt, and you'll have some formidable push back. Factor in the possibility that Benning may go after Evander Kane in the offseason and the truculence gets even better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Put Gudbranson, Dorsett, and Tryamkin with another year of confidence under his belt, and you'll have some formidable push back. Factor in the possibility that Benning may go after Evander Kane in the offseason and the truculence gets even better. 

Please,  Evander Kane?  Lets put that lousy idea to bed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry, but you lost me right there.  If you think you can hang the SCF loss on "leadership" I'm not sure I have much faith in your prescription.

I'd take the other half of our blueline over better 'leadership' thanks.

Btw, the idea that the team's leadership lack 'work ethic' is really misplaced criticism imo.

Do they lack grit?  Yes.  Do they lack an extra gear?  Yes, they're neither fast nor physical - they're not the type to "turn it up".  

But do they lack 'work ethic"?   Really?  Are we asking that question with all we know about their consistency, their fitness, their longevity, their durability despite all the punishment they've taken.  They are slow, not particularly mean or physical cycle players after all.  They are pretty damn adept down low (in the ozone that is haha) - they win board battles, they maintain possession in the hard areas, etc.  
You can knock some things about the Sedins, but knocking their work ethic is pretty off imo.

Yes the Sedins possess tons of talent like you mentioned, but one issue is the punishment they've taken. When two players take as much physical punishment as they have without giving it right back, the physical toll has to eventually add up, and that can possibly explain how their game changed in the last few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Please,  Evander Kane?  Lets put that lousy idea to bed.

I don't think Benning sees that the same way. And now that Kane has put his previous stupidity behind him, he has been producing at a steady clip, letting his play do the talking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You cannot say 100% whether I am right or wrong about the SC all we have here is opinions and that is my opinion. I have seen many hockey players in the past 25-30 years so I think I can tell the difference in different levels of "leadership". I have seen some great leaders such as Linden, Messier, Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic etc. etc. and some so-so leaders such as Henrik, Naslund, Thornton, Hall and Zetterburg.

Answer me these questions. Do the Sedins mostly check with their bodies or their sticks most of the time? How many hooking or holding penalties do they get? How many times have you seen them hook a guy instead of skating a little harder to body him off the puck? I rest my case.

You rest what case?  You're talking about apples and wheelbarrows.  

The Sedins are poor leaders because they take a hooking or holding penalties? 

 

Do I prefer a captain that bulldozes their way around?  Sure.  That can put their team on the back and all the other next gear cliches?  Yeah, who doesn't.   Am I going to piss on the Sedins now that they're 36 and can't produce like they used to - and make claims that they lack "work ethic" - as we just happen to have a successor that is starting to show signs of readiness to succeed them in due course?  Sorry, I don't share your conviction to play Horvat off of Henrik.

 

The Sedins job btw was to produce - they're not cut from the mold of a Linden or Yzerman - not all leaders are - but I find it highly ironic that you name one of the premier floaters of all-time in your list of 'great leaders'.  Lemieux was one of the most vacant players in NHL history without possession - Bertuzziesque.   He was precisely what you complain about the Sedins being.

 

And wadr, "leading" teams like the Pens had.....Trottier, Jagr, Coffey, Recchi, Stevens, Mullen, Murphy, Francis, Pederson, Samuelsson - those Penguin teams didn't need Lemieux's  "leadership" - they'd have marched to Cups without him.  They had players that had handfuls of Stanley Cup rings before they arrived in Pittsburgh.

 

I'd take a healthy blueline in games 3-7 of the SCF of 2011 over some intangible 'leadership' anyday

The greatest leader of all-time is allegedly Mark Messier...I rest my case.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leadership is about accountability. Leaders on the ice hold the referees, the other teams players, their own players, their coaches and themselves accountable.

 

The best leader at holding the above accountable is Jonathen Toews.

He is in the grill of other team players when they abuse his team mates and he turns up the intensity,

He fires up his team mates when they need firing up,

He questions the refs when they make bad calls or miss a call,

and he brings it when the team needs a boost and leads by example.

 

They call him Captain serious because he holds everyone accountable.

 

The Sedins on the other hand are somewhat submissive to the referees and other team players compared to a great leader.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Horvat our leading scorer and point getter, 2 points away from being our leading assist leader, ranked in the top 25 primary point getter in the NHL, and he played 3 minutes less of Sutter and 6 minutes less of Henrik Sedin who got 22 mins.

 

Not only that, you are down a goal, and Horvat didn't see any icetime until 25 seconds were left in the game.  You want a goal yet your top scorer isn't out there in the final minute of play in the offensive zone draw?

 

Don't care what Willie has done the past month with the team, and has the gull to praise Jayson Megna who got only 3 less shifts than Bo Horvat.  Please give me a break.

 

Keep at it Willie, digging your own career grave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Horvat our leading scorer and point getter, 2 points away from being our leading assist leader, ranked in the top 25 primary point getter in the NHL, and he played 3 minutes less of Sutter and 6 minutes less of Henrik Sedin who got 22 mins.

 

Not only that, you are down a goal, and Horvat didn't see any icetime until 25 seconds were left in the game.  You want a goal yet your top scorer isn't out there in the final minute of play in the offensive zone draw?

 

Don't care what Willie has done the past month with the team, and has the gull to praise Jayson Megna who got only 3 less shifts than Bo Horvat.  Please give me a break.

 

Keep at it Willie, digging your own career grave.

Those other players you mention are all 27 and older.  Bo is only 21.  Willie likes to make his young players earn their icetime, doesn't he?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I predicted a win against Nashville last game,and based on the play..I thought they deserved a win..IMO...I expect the same effort tonight,and again,I think they can pull off a win...They have to be firing on all cylinders, though..A mediocre game by the Sedins won't get it done, as you only have to glance at the Canucks depth at the forward position to realize how handicapped they really are...(hardly any impact players in their prime years).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...