The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No suspension for McLeod

Podz92

20 hours ago, Baggins said:

I've watched the video many, many, many times. Watch the hit at 3:00. A legal hit very much like the hit on Daniel.

In a still of the Sedin hit it showed Kadri made contact with Daniel's right shoulder just prior to the head. This constitutes hitting into the body and thus a legal hit. Had he made contact with the head first and then the left shoulder (the opposite side) it would have been targeting the head and illegal. It's a fine line and Kadri was as close to that line without crossing it as you can possibly be.  Like it or not it was a legal hit as the rules stand.

If you want to eliminate these types of hits you have to change the rules and adopt the Euro rule of no head contact at all. Which of course greatly reduces the hitting and physical play in the game. If you want hitting in the game then you have to accept it can happen to your players as well.

How bout you watch the clip I asked you to watch again. That's EXACTLY what happened in that video. He hit the shoulder first. You can see the jersey move before contact with the head is made. If anything, Kadri's hit is worse as Smith is moving and does adjust his position whereas Daniel is skating in a straight line and doesn't alter his position.

7 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

How bout you watch the clip I asked you to watch again. That's EXACTLY what happened in that video. He hit the shoulder first. You can see the jersey move before contact with the head is made. If anything, Kadri's hit is worse as Smith is moving and does adjust his position whereas Daniel is skating in a straight line and doesn't alter his position.

Don't have to watch it again. As I said, I've watched the video many times and listened to their explanations. I've also watched all their suspension video regarding head hits. The difference between us is I understand the rule as it's being enforced and you don't seem to. Or you're just seeing what you want to. When coming in on an angle if the body is contacted prior to the head it's a clean hit. That's the way the rule applies. Contact with the head isn't automatically illegal. It's how the contact is made that determines legal or illegal. There's often a very fine line between the two. Kadri's hit was barely on the side of legal. I didn't like the hit, but not liking it doesn't make it illegal.

Pointless going on about it, you won't change my mind on this one.

Some people won't be happy until the entire league is suspended on the only NHL being played is on their PlayStation,

Return fighting to the game, but only for the purpose it was intended.

It's easy, give the ref a discretionary call, if a player can connect a fight to a clear hockey play, then no instagator. This would also eliminate staged fights, the only fights we would see would 1. be a clear part of the game 2. would really decrease the amount of injuries, cheap shots and dangerous plays. We would see less fighting too, the only fights we would see would MEAN something

It's so easy and so right, that's why the idiots who run the league will never do it.

20 hours ago, Baggins said:

Don't have to watch it again. As I said, I've watched the video many times and listened to their explanations. I've also watched all their suspension video regarding head hits. The difference between us is I understand the rule as it's being enforced and you don't seem to. Or you're just seeing what you want to. When coming in on an angle if the body is contacted prior to the head it's a clean hit. That's the way the rule applies. Contact with the head isn't automatically illegal. It's how the contact is made that determines legal or illegal. There's often a very fine line between the two. Kadri's hit was barely on the side of legal. I didn't like the hit, but not liking it doesn't make it illegal.

Pointless going on about it, you won't change my mind on this one.

So you're fine with 2 plays where the same thing happens one gets suspended and the other doesn't? OK then. That's about all there is to say to you regarding things. As I said before, keep drinking their koolaid

10 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

So you're fine with 2 plays where the same thing happens one gets suspended and the other doesn't? OK then. That's about all there is to say to you regarding things. As I said before, keep drinking their koolaid

Head contact isn't automatically a suspension. As I said, you have to understand the rule and how it's applied. There's a fine line between legal and illegal. You need to watch these videos without the homer glasses to see it.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:27 PM, Baggins said:

Head contact isn't automatically a suspension. As I said, you have to understand the rule and how it's applied. There's a fine line between legal and illegal. You need to watch these videos without the homer glasses to see it.

Only responding because you clearly misread what I wrote. In the play where Smith got hit, his shoulder was contacted first, just as Daniel's was. I already described the other differences. Feel free to ignore the logical, though

4 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

Only responding because you clearly misread what I wrote. In the play where Smith got hit, his shoulder was contacted first, just as Daniel's was. I already described the other differences. Feel free to ignore the logical, though

Sedin_zpsu0ncl707.jpg

Does this look like a "full body check" hitting "into the body" of Sedin? Can you how much of their bodies are contacting each other? This is what makes it a legal hit despite head contact. Your Smith on Smith hit has a slight shoulder graze with the head taking the full brunt of the hit. But Smith doesn't hit "into the body" delivering a full body check. Another clue is Sedin was knocked back by the hit. Whereas Smith spun and continued moving forward. These are clues as to whether or not it was a hit "into the body". This is how the rule is written and what the DoPS looks for.

One of the guys from DoPS said he didn't like the hit on Sedin as he felt it was predatory. But as the rule is written it's a legal hit.

You can't suspend a player for a hit, even if it is a cheap shot, if it's legal according to the rule book. If you don't like the rule, petition the NHL to change the rules regarding head contact. Now I like big hits in the game and don't want to change to Euro hockey. Therefore I'm willing to accept big hits can happen to players on my team as well.

Full body check? He's hitting his head with his shoulder in that screenshot. How about this angle?

IMG_0026.PNG.e488a185bd8924d8c956a28f12a

Sure looks like the body was contacted there...

Or the video from that angle

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/795075808087842817

Definitely not a similar head hit...

Though on the topic of this thread, take a look at the suspension Marchand just got. Wasn't looking at Dotchin at all yet the ruling was that it was intent to injure

Archived