The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No suspension for McLeod

Podz92

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

He pushed right through Baertschi.

The NHL is a Mafia run bush league.

Yep - he loads up / prepares for the hit - and then coils through it with the under chicken-wing thing. 

Clearly knows exactly what he's doing.

The only answer here would be that he doesn't have to cede his path - that Baertschi is equally on a course to run into him -  but McLeod doesn't simply skate through - he clearly prepared himself to throw the blindside hit.

3 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

It was a clean hit in my mind

According to many, it wasn't even a hit, it was "an accident".  Video shows otherwise though, a blindside hit on a player that wasn't near the puck.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

bae-hit

Maybe he did intend on running into Baer but there is no way to determine if he targeted the head as he doesn't seem to take even one glance at Baer. That's a routine interference play that just went horribly wrong. Don't think there was even a chance of a suspension here.

I agree that it's an interference play but not on there being no chance of a suspension. The main thing I don't like is the arm swinging into it (not saying it's an elbow, but that it's a clear attempt at a hit) versus him just bumping into him as if it was a fly by. It's not heavy contact but there's enough there - and a resulting injury - to warrant a further look.

Maybe they didn't see enough in it, but if there'd been a penalty on the play I probably would be fine with it. There wasn't though, and McLeod doesn't hold up at all when he knew there was a collision coming, so I'd consider a fine or a game.

3 hours ago, Toews said:

bae-hit

Maybe he did intend on running into Baer but there is no way to determine if he targeted the head as he doesn't seem to take even one glance at Baer. That's a routine interference play that just went horribly wrong. Don't think there was even a chance of a suspension here.

Principal and first point of contact is his head.  If the brass wants to get rid of concussions, they penalize this play. Especially because it is away from the puck.  Would not even matter if it was intentional or not.  Gotta be responsible not to hit the head. edit; Hit the head, do the time!

Opposite example.  I accepted the suspension served by Hansen for hitting Hossa doing a flying leap for an airborn puck. And Aaron Rome (a nasty one) one for hitting Horton way back when. So I also expect a suspension when our guys get run. 

5 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

According to many, it wasn't even a hit, it was "an accident".  Video shows otherwise though, a blindside hit on a player that wasn't near the puck.

I see more shoulder to head than elbow to head contact. it looked like Baertchi skated into his lane and he lowered his shoulder and drove it into Baertchi's head.

It definitely looked intentional but the league doesn't usually suspend when it's at all conceivable that it was unintentional. No judgement calls even where it appears obviously intentional.

These sorta rulings sure must make Van a favoured destination for potential signings..like College FA's. It must be terribly enticing, when they(& their agents) see how consistent the DPS are. Big reason I'll maintain a measure of respect for LE & Stecher.

It's descending into Orwellian-chaos. Animal Farm.."some animals are more equal than others." Wasn't it the pigs who gained control? Just like this league.

Getting close to tuning out completely, with this rigged deck. Tough for me to say that..have loved hockey since the 70's. Vibe I get from the league(& Eastern media, alike) now amounts to a disingenuous, trolling hoax, appealing to the lowest common-denominators(in terms of character) in their key, $ driven markets. Most US sporting fans don't give an informed shyte, & Cdn markets are mostly at each other's throats. So they've got this set up, just as they want it.

1 hour ago, Oldmanpower said:

Look, I am not talking goon it up 76' Flyers here. There is a rule book in place right now that says our team is allowed to body check and hip check. What our team does all night is stick check with no response to physical play from other teams and the rest of the league is watching. Confidence minus time and space equals fear. Fear with puck leads to turnovers. Turnovers lead to goals against. Does our current roster scare anyone?

Not in the slightest and that is a leadership problem.

Who on this team has any balls, who's supposed to have em? The guys with letters on their chest, namely an A. They need to step up and get a bit dusty.

This team's identity is butter soft, babies butt kinda stuff. It's too bad Tram doesn't rag doll guys like a younger Chara did, and Guddy's injured (he needs to be more ornery though). Dorset doesn't scare anyone, but at least he held guys accountable.

I really hope JB is working on getting and developing guys with more "fight". And I gotta say I'm so fricken sick of watching the twins skate away from everything with their heads down, totally disinterested. Not even chirping, just head down skate away. 

That's why our guys get run all the time, no one, not even the league ever does a damn thing about it.

....and Rome gets the rest of the SCF, four crucial games, for a legal hit, that also caused a concussion, but that was delivered sooner after the puck left than this hit.

Its laughably obvious that when they see the Canucks are involved, they have a separate rule book. If we are the perps, we get maximum penalties, if we are the victims, the perps walk away scott free.

and there's not a dam thing we can do about it.

49 minutes ago, kilgore said:

....and Rome gets the rest of the SCF, four crucial games, for a legal hit, that also caused a concussion, but that was delivered sooner after the puck left than this hit.

Its laughably obvious that when they see the Canucks are involved, they have a separate rule book. If we are the perps, we get maximum penalties, if we are the victims, the perps walk away scott free.

and there's not a dam thing we can do about it.

We could do something about it, a Canucks owner suing the league for this or a DoJ looking into fixed matches by the ref via the game management, or the head office level, or fire all DoPS staff and replace with independent appointee that was not involved in game of hockey and replace them once every two years to prevent incompliance when it comes to any decision.   You need to remove any ounce of bias that the players and/or the league might have if they appoint someone that has some involvement in hockey.   It was not long ago that I felt that the games is fixed by ref or the replay staff.   It is getting more obviously by the day and they do not even hide it anymore because they test the fan bases one by one to see if they lose some viewership and if there's not much loss, they keep on doing this and will continue until they get caught.  Other sports like soccer or tennis has made this more likely possibilities and I hope that they get caught with a cookie in the jar when they think that the coast is clear.  

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Not in the slightest and that is a leadership problem.

Who on this team has any balls, who's supposed to have em? The guys with letters on their chest, namely an A. They need to step up and get a bit dusty.

This team's identity is butter soft, babies butt kinda stuff. It's too bad Tram doesn't rag doll guys like a younger Chara did, and Guddy's injured (he needs to be more ornery though). Dorset doesn't scare anyone, but at least he held guys accountable.

I really hope JB is working on getting and developing guys with more "fight". And I gotta say I'm so fricken sick of watching the twins skate away from everything with their heads down, totally disinterested. Not even chirping, just head down skate away. 

That's why our guys get run all the time, no one, not even the league ever does a damn thing about it.

Bingo. Ever since 2011 and how we played in the Cup Final we were a butter soft team. No push back except in the short-lived Tortorella era. Benning is trying to fix that by bringing in guys like Virtanen and Tryamkin and Gudbranson (and Dorsett too), but for some reason we still have no pushback whatsoever. Lucic would've been good for this town. Big guy who can pot in 20 goals and 40 points a year while crushing guys with hits and keeping everyone accountable. And if we drafted Tkachuk instead... he has some bite and some serious skill. That said, Juolevi will be a much needed #1D for us too.

If I was JB, I'd look at dealing Tanev+ to Colorado for Landeskog. Yea he's Swedish but he'll play hard and answer the bell and is good for 20+ goals, 50+ points, 160 hits, and more takeaways than giveaways each season. It'll be a step in the right direction in changing the team's culture. Maybe even overpay a little to get Landeskog on the Canucks. 

6 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

So here we go again, another blind side hit on a Canucks player and no punishment whatsoever. For the league to let this crap (not to mention Brad Marchand's slew foot attacks) is a disgrace. DOPS is a joke...just another attempt to injure that goes unnoticed and unpunished. Keep your heads up boys! The league isn't going to do a thing if your wearing Canuck colors!!!

I've been petitioning for a while to see Pedan up with the club as a LWer, 4th line.  Yes the hit was intentional but where was our push back?  We don't have anyone who could handle McCloud except for maybe Sbisa who would have to hold on but seriously...  what is Granlund thinking?  Eriksson?  Daniel?  Am I next?  We need a police officer out there.  I miss Dorsett, a true gamer.  Anyone catch Matt Martin come in to take on Adam McQuaid after McQuaid hit Matthews into the end boards (not even a dirty hit).  Sure Martin got tagged but Babcock and the Leafs have something going in Toronto.  Ideally we keep Pedan on D but if he's being blocked by Tryamkin most noticeably, lets see if he can carve out a spot on our 4th line until something gives.  

56 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Bingo. Ever since 2011 and how we played in the Cup Final we were a butter soft team. No push back except in the short-lived Tortorella era. Benning is trying to fix that by bringing in guys like Virtanen and Tryamkin and Gudbranson (and Dorsett too), but for some reason we still have no pushback whatsoever. Lucic would've been good for this town. Big guy who can pot in 20 goals and 40 points a year while crushing guys with hits and keeping everyone accountable. And if we drafted Tkachuk instead... he has some bite and some serious skill. That said, Juolevi will be a much needed #1D for us too.

If I was JB, I'd look at dealing Tanev+ to Colorado for Landeskog. Yea he's Swedish but he'll play hard and answer the bell and is good for 20+ goals, 50+ points, 160 hits, and more takeaways than giveaways each season. It'll be a step in the right direction in changing the team's culture. Maybe even overpay a little to get Landeskog on the Canucks. 

Regarding Landeskog, I've always been a fan of him.

For some reason I can't get over him slashing Sutters stick on that empty net attempt a few weeks back. It wasn't just a normal slash, he was going for the kill each time.

I love his passion and fire, especially as a captain. 

43 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Hell. yes.

I really like the Joulevi pick even though I want the Canucks to be "tougher". He may have a lot more fight than we know once he gets to the show and he will be a more valuable player than Tkachuk, says my crystal ball.

Landy all the way (over Duchesne), exactly the kind of player we need. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

Botchford who is covering the team in Columbus wrote that several players called it 'accidental-on-purpose'.  Henrik says there is no way he didn't see Baer.   WD said the same thing last night.  

I'm sure it was accidental on purpose but it wasn't predatory I'm sure he saw him but its not like he changed his line or drove his weight through it. It was just accidentally on purpose incidental contact. He didn't up n Scott Stevens Baer. I'm fine with it. It wasn't dirty career ending type stuff I wouldn't really call it a hit as Mcleod didn't really alter course if he wanted to really hit Bae he could have crushed him and Bae would have gone off on a stretcher a limp pile of mush. I would call it an unfortunate collision. Excrement happens sucks it happened to Bae. Cody did nothing on the play that would indicate his intention was to deliver a hit. Cody skated on the same trajectory for quite some time, if Sven had his head up he would have seen him and not run directly into the train tracks.  I think fault is 50/50 in this one. And I gotta say I respect that Cody didn't hit him nearly as hard as he could have considering Svens vulnerable position. Raffi Torres would have obliterated him.

44 minutes ago, b3. said:

Regarding Landeskog, I've always been a fan of him.

For some reason I can't get over him slashing Sutters stick on that empty net attempt a few weeks back. It wasn't just a normal slash, he was going for the kill each time.

I love his passion and fire, especially as a captain. 

Gotta love that hit on Marchand

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I agree that it's an interference play but not on there being no chance of a suspension. The main thing I don't like is the arm swinging into it (not saying it's an elbow, but that it's a clear attempt at a hit) versus him just bumping into him as if it was a fly by. It's not heavy contact but there's enough there - and a resulting injury - to warrant a further look.

Maybe they didn't see enough in it, but if there'd been a penalty on the play I probably would be fine with it. There wasn't though, and McLeod doesn't hold up at all when he knew there was a collision coming, so I'd consider a fine or a game.

To me it's just incidental contact. McLeod never once looked over at Baertschi in order to target him. Baertschi was focused on the puck as opposed to where he was going. He skated along the blueline and curled right into MacLeods path. MacLeod never looked at him or changed his path, it was in fact Baert that changed his path. I don't see a penalty or suspension in the play.

8 hours ago, Toews said:

bae-hit

Intention should not matter. He interfered with a player who did not have the puck, it was a blind side hit with the head being the principle point of contact.  He moved his stick and dropped his shoulder just prior to contact to make the hit, that was intentional.  

No player will admit that they were intentionally trying to injure another player. 

The DoPS is a joke. This is a text book suspension for a head shot.  Not a clean hit by any definition.  To fail to protect all players equally the NHL head office and the DoPS has allowed the league to target certain teams players with out discipline.  This will only end badly. 

Typical NHL garbage when it comes to league discipline.  Though, these are the same guys that allowed Colin Campbell be head of discipline while his kid is in the league.  This after those emails became public where he was trashing officials for calls against his kid.  I would expect nothing less from these clowns. 

Archived