The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No suspension for McLeod

Podz92

13 hours ago, khay said:

DoPS never disappoints! They have newly introduced a way to land a head shot without getting suspended.

First, skate towards the player that you want to lay out. 

Second, pretend that you don't see the player by having your head facing the direction of the puck.

Third, lower your shoulder just before contact. Make sure to use your peripheral vision to make sure that you will not be hurt from the collision and that you can get your target.

Final step, "run" into the guy with your shoulder on his head.

Easy.

That's how I saw it.

Retribution on the ice is the only way. Why do you think I constantly moan about lack of push back. The guy should have been banjoed the next time he stepped on the ice - where is Dorsett when we need him, he probably would not have won the fight but he never lets anything go unanswered.

Teams are willing to take liberties with the Canucks because there is no player in the lineup that they fear. Dorsett and Gudbranson were the only ones capable of making McLeod rethink his cheap shots. The lack of size and toughness in the lineup has been a problem for years and time it was corrected Mr.Benning. It shouldn't be Hansen's job to police the other team.

2 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

Teams are willing to take liberties with the Canucks because there is no player in the lineup that they fear. Dorsett and Gudbranson were the only ones capable of making McLeod rethink his cheap shots. The lack of size and toughness in the lineup has been a problem for years and time it was corrected Mr.Benning. It shouldn't be Hansen's job to police the other team.

Canucks had Brad May and Wade Brookbank in the lineup when Moore took a cheap shot at Naslund.

Why do people think that the idiots that dole out these cheapshots are actually thinking ahead? Watch NHL games from the 80s and there were sooo many dirty plays. I think it was worse than today, only today we have twitter, 24hr sports programming, message boards, gifs, etc. It is so much easier to be aware of cheap shots.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

No, the good ones fought other heavyweights.  You simply never in your life saw a McSorley, Semenko, Probert, or Odjick grab a cheap shot artist like Ken Linseman and 'make him pay.  It did not happen.   Like I said, it was heavy vs heavy - that is how it played out - while the Wayne Gretzkys fought the Ken Linsemans themself - or ideally, someone else in that player's weight class if it happened to line up - but that was not the m.o.  The far more standard result was that the heavies emptied off the benches and 'enforced' each other.

If it were as simple as sending your enforcer out to pound the crap out of a light or middleweight then the Mario Lemieuxs of the NHL wouldn't have complained ceaselessly about all the cheap shots they endured.  The Semenkos and McSorleys would have simply pounded away indiscriminately.  There was no honour in pounding on a lightweight even if they'd cheap-shotted your team-mate.  You also never saw a guy like Matt Martin jumping a player like Troy Stecher.  In decades I can't think of a comparable.

I'm certainly not against one of our players responding - but I'm also not under the illusion that a guy that threw a cheap shot in the enforcer era had to answer to an enforcer.   That's simply not how the game worked.

What you are explaining is a partial view of the post instigator rule world.  But even then guys limited their antics depending on whom they had to answer to later on the team or in games to come.

Odjick was considered as a loose cannon by the other enforcers ( I still have issues from the ealry to mid nineties that ranked the enforcers Tuff Guys) prone to cheap shots and stick work.  He ranked 13 BTW in the hey day when you had guys like Parker Worrel Ewen Grimson that offered little past figthing..

If you remember the era and previous to that no matter who you were there would be retribution and it was a detterrent.  Even later things were evened up just as Steve Moore.

So yes I agree part of the role was for the big guys to battle for team pride or energy or whatever you want to call it but they also intimidated the other players into playing a cleaner game.

Without the instigator rule Matt Cooke would have been murdered.

Also Ken Linesman was a highly skilled agitator like Tikanen he mouthed guys off way more than intent to injure with blind hits and sticks to the head.

Mcloed is an average fighter who wouldn't likely have made that play if we had a Probert, Simon, Brown or Odjick in the line up.  I didn't say Brashear because he fits your disciption I remember guys getting blind sided and he wouldn't protect or do much of anything despite been one of the best fighters in the league.

Also Lemuiex complained more about the hooking and holding that was no longer been called as the dead puck era gained traction it was more an officiating issue than cheap shots.  If somebody cheap shorter him or Gretzky they knew they were dead or if they were a fringe NHLer trying to make a mark they would be demoted never to play again...At least that is what the media told us the time.

Far from trying to clean up the dirty stuff and protect the players...the DOPS exists to shield the NHL from legal liability and to add to their toolbox of game management tools.

They manage these decisions like everything else..."what is in the best interests of the NHL".  The hit like the one on Baertschi can be explained away as an accident, therefore, there is no legal exposure = no suspension.

A hit like Rome's in 2011 had not been suspended before and he was a first time offender and got the biggest suspension in playoff history...,his suspension was significantly harsher than Keith's for the "elbow assault" on Daniel. 

These aren't just slight errors in consistency, they are deliberate attempts to protect the league whilst favoring certain players, teams and outcomes.

Saying the DOPS is "inconsistent" or "incompetent" only lets the league off the hook.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

What you are explaining is a partial view of the post instigator rule world.  But even then guys limited their antics depending on whom they had to answer to later on the team or in games to come.

Odjick was considered as a loose cannon by the other enforcers ( I still have issues from the ealry to mid nineties that ranked the enforcers Tuff Guys) prone to cheap shots and stick work.  He ranked 13 BTW in the hey day when you had guys like Parker Worrel Ewen Grimson that offered little past figthing..

If you remember the era and previous to that no matter who you were there would be retribution and it was a detterrent.  Even later things were evened up just as Steve Moore.

So yes I agree part of the role was for the big guys to battle for team pride or energy or whatever you want to call it but they also intimidated the other players into playing a cleaner game.

Without the instigator rule Matt Cooke would have been murdered.

Also Ken Linesman was a highly skilled agitator like Tikanen he mouthed guys off way more than intent to injure with blind hits and sticks to the head.

Mcloed is an average fighter who wouldn't likely have made that play if we had a Probert, Simon, Brown or Odjick in the line up.  I didn't say Brashear because he fits your disciption I remember guys getting blind sided and he wouldn't protect or do much of anything despite been one of the best fighters in the league.

Also Lemuiex complained more about the hooking and holding that was no longer been called as the dead puck era gained traction it was more an officiating issue than cheap shots.  If somebody cheap shorter him or Gretzky they knew they were dead or if they were a fringe NHLer trying to make a mark they would be demoted never to play again...At least that is what the media told us the time.

Did you ever notice that the golden age of the peacemaker was many times more violent than today's game?  Sticks to the head used to be commonplace.  If a tough guy is such a valuable deterrent, why does no team in the NHL have one?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes. Another hope I have is that whatever trades or UFA acquisitions Benning makes in the offseason, he chooses players who have a pack mentality, and who aren't afraid of a little roughness.

Not an unreasonable hope, considering what he has done so far. He didn't pick up Guddy, Sbisa or Dorsett because he thought they will win the Art Ross someday.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Canucks had Brad May and Wade Brookbank in the lineup when Moore took a cheap shot at Naslund.

Why do people think that the idiots that dole out these cheapshots are actually thinking ahead? Watch NHL games from the 80s and there were sooo many dirty plays. I think it was worse than today, only today we have twitter, 24hr sports programming, message boards, gifs, etc. It is so much easier to be aware of cheap shots.

Exactly...the UFC approach to the game cost us the best power-forward we ever had.  They could have manned up and gone for a cup, but instead they got focused on school-yard justice.  Hockey is about rising above.  It's about taking a number, not trying to get in some sucker punches.

1 hour ago, brokensticks said:

Name three players in the league that anyone fears.

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not an unreasonable hope, considering what he has done so far. He didn't pick up Guddy, Sbisa or Dorsett because he thought they will win the Art Ross someday.

Pretty much. Players coming up through the system will need to be protected, especially on this team, as it still seems that there is a memo sent throughout the league that Canucks players can be hit high and hit late, and the DOPS will do very little to stop it.

Archived