The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Canucks Leafs

Watching the Marlies play Utica I have been impressed with defenseman Justin Holl - good size 6'3 - and great wheels.  Had a great year last year with 5 goals 16 assists and a plus 32.  Dipped this year to 1 goal 5 assists and a minus 6 through 40 games, but when I've seen him play he stands out.   This would be a low-risk-change-of-scenery swap for Pedan or Subban.  Give Holl the rest of the season with Travis, and perhaps he becomes a solid bottom pairing NHL d-man. 

I think that Tanev is our best trading chip and a team like Toronto would be much better with him on the back end.  He would change their team.  He still has 8-10 years ahead of him so I don't think his age is an issue.  If they want to be an impactful team for the next 5 years, he would be a perfect fit.  I also think that he is worth much more than just Kapanen and a 3rd.  I would take Kapanen, Leipsic and a 1st.  

With Tanev in the lineup, the Leafs will hold firm where they are or climb a bit with their games in hand. This means the pick will be between 18th to 20th likely.  Kapanen, Leipsic and the pick would all be projects, but would jumpstart our forward rebuild quite a bit.  The Leafs would be instantly better for the next bunch of years, none of these 3 assets will have anywhere near the impact of Tanev, if any at all.  

In the 18th to 20th spots in the last 3 years we could have had:

Logan Stanley 

Kiefer Bellows

Thomas Chabot

I think that this would be a smart deal for both teams, the canucks have defensive depth and would have 1 less guy to protect in the expansion draft.  Plus Tanev's no trade kicks in.  The Leafs get the best shut down guy in the league to play in their top pairing with Reilly.  Their goaltending would improve and some of their dmen could play less minutes than they should be. None of these assets that Toronto is giving up will hurt their team now and they may not have room for them in the future anyway.

Considering that there's no need for us to trade our best D, why would Benning do it for anything less than a 1st round pick and proven prospect? I just don't see the point to do it for any less. 

Tanev and Rielly would be the instant top pairing for TO, and probably be great together for years. 

13 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Kasperi Kapanen and a 3rd for Tanev

Kapanens only 20, has had a relaly good year in the AHL, 16 goals and 33pts in 33 games, and would have made the Leafs this year if not for the fact they were already bringing in 4 insanely good rookies. However, Kapanen is unproven in the NHL at this point.

leafs need a shut down defensemen and a Tanev fits the need

Toronto has a first and two seconds this coming draft.  For Tanev, we would ABSOLUTELY get them all, plus a prospect.

5 hours ago, nzan said:

Agreed.

I'd start out fishing for Marner...which would take Tanev plus Boeser/Juolevi plus our 1st...which would just allow their laughter and discussion to get started.

Then I'd pull back and figure out what we'd need to add to Tanev in order to land Nylander.

Trade the entire roster minus Horvat and Demko for Marner. 

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What about a 1-for-1 swap of Tanev for Nylander?

This would be perfect for both teams, nylander can be the point producing centre we need. If we play him wing he can be a perfect 1st line winger to play with horvat in the future. while toronto gets a D pair of reilly and tanev, which would be important because there D isn't the strongest

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Toronto has a first and two seconds this coming draft.  For Tanev, we would ABSOLUTELY get them all, plus a prospect.

That would be good, its not like TO needs the rookies. Plus Tanev is from Toronto originally. 

Tanev is so good for us though as a player, cap-wise, even his modified NTC that kicks in next season is good, he can only give an 8 team 'no' list. Some folks are asking way too little for him in this thread. 

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

That would be good, its not like TO needs the rookies. Plus Tanev is from Toronto originally. 

Tanev is so good for us though as a player, cap-wise, even his modified NTC that kicks in next season is good, he can only give an 8 team 'no' list. Some folks are asking way too little for him in this thread. 

Isn't Tavev one of the best 'fancy stats' dmen in the league?  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Tavev one of the best 'fancy stats' dmen in the league?  

Yup, #1 in goal suppression. Last year he was responsible for suppressing +0.3 goals per game more than the average D man, which set him way above everyone else. So yeah, TO is going to have to cough up quite a lot for that. The fancy stats guys in TO would go mental for him. Paired with an actual offensive D partner like Rielly it would be quite the duo. 

On 2/9/2017 at 7:25 PM, Bur14Kes17 said:

Kasperi Kapanen and a 3rd for Tanev

Kapanens only 20, has had a relaly good year in the AHL, 16 goals and 33pts in 33 games, and would have made the Leafs this year if not for the fact they were already bringing in 4 insanely good rookies. However, Kapanen is unproven in the NHL at this point.

leafs need a shut down defensemen and a Tanev fits the need

He's a B+ prospect and Tanev gets a A prospect and a 1st round pick. No way I would do that deal, TO will have to pay up to get Tanev from us

On 2/9/2017 at 9:27 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Odd......think about this.......

When and where have you ever seen a proven top 2 defensemen traded for a Prospect and a 3rd....I like Kapanen and want him, but he is unproven at the NHL level, the Leafs would have him on their team, if he were that good (meaning already NHL caliber). The 3rd has an average chance of developing into a NHLer......the only reason they sparkle is that there is an odd (pardon the pun) chance of being something special. Just look at previous TDL trades......most of the players traded are on the last year of theiir contracts or older established players that are decent, but winding down some what.

Tanev is a proven talent.......which has to equal more than a prospect not named Mathews, Marner, or Nylander + a mid to late 1st + that 2/3rd pick or another propsect

IMO, adding Tanev to Toronto's kids, and they drop their goals against substantially......just my opinion...they become more dangerous, as their 1st RD becomes their 2nd RD and so on......remember Reilly and Tanev have already played together, and showed well, and that is why all the Leaf fans want him.......they just don't want to pay.

Just don't negotiate down for them

First of all a 3rd rounder has a very minimal chance of playing in the NHL so no thanks TO. If TO want s Tanev they are going to have to pay nothing less then a A prospect and a late 1st or early 2nd. Period. I would consider a 2nd and a 3rd with that A prospect

On 2/10/2017 at 6:17 AM, nzan said:

Agreed.

I'd start out fishing for Marner...which would take Tanev plus Boeser/Juolevi plus our 1st...which would just allow their laughter and discussion to get started.

Then I'd pull back and figure out what we'd need to add to Tanev in order to land Nylander.

Careful not to insult them. I would start and end with a 1st round pick and add  a A prospect. I am not a Nylander fan, I know he can score but I think he lacks toughness and would be hammered in the west.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:48 AM, Dixon Ward said:

I think that Tanev is our best trading chip and a team like Toronto would be much better with him on the back end.  He would change their team.  He still has 8-10 years ahead of him so I don't think his age is an issue.  If they want to be an impactful team for the next 5 years, he would be a perfect fit.  I also think that he is worth much more than just Kapanen and a 3rd.  I would take Kapanen, Leipsic and a 1st.  

With Tanev in the lineup, the Leafs will hold firm where they are or climb a bit with their games in hand. This means the pick will be between 18th to 20th likely.  Kapanen, Leipsic and the pick would all be projects, but would jumpstart our forward rebuild quite a bit.  The Leafs would be instantly better for the next bunch of years, none of these 3 assets will have anywhere near the impact of Tanev, if any at all.  

In the 18th to 20th spots in the last 3 years we could have had:

Logan Stanley 

Kiefer Bellows

Thomas Chabot

I think that this would be a smart deal for both teams, the canucks have defensive depth and would have 1 less guy to protect in the expansion draft.  Plus Tanev's no trade kicks in.  The Leafs get the best shut down guy in the league to play in their top pairing with Reilly.  Their goaltending would improve and some of their dmen could play less minutes than they should be. None of these assets that Toronto is giving up will hurt their team now and they may not have room for them in the future anyway.

I like it

Archived