Canucks Community

President Linden on Team 1040, Feb 10th

AlwaysACanuckFan

Topics Covered

1) Reaction to Canucks win in Columbus

a- good performance against a good team

b- anchored by Miller,

c- D was very strong,

d- having Hutton back helps along with  the continued improvement of Nikita, having Stecher play with Edler  allows Tanev to move with Sbisa who is having a real good year to give some balance

e- timely goals

2) Reasoning for Eriksson struggles and what to expect

a- hard to move to new environment, new market

b- Vancouver is a different beast than he seen in Boston and Dallas with the scrutiny and pressure which may be challenging

c-  hard to find a home with a consistent line which is challenging

d-  Loui enjoys playing here and is a very good two way player, very versatile who  can be counted on moving forward

3 ) Daniel and Henrik

a- come to the rink everyday prepared ready to work, setting examples for the younger players

b- hard game on a nightly basis , hard to score, carried load for years with this group

c- positive to see Bo and Sven to take a step forward offensively

d- need to support the Sedins with younger players and not fair to expect Sedins to carry the load   

3) Trade deadline

a - would love to add picks

b - definitely  not selling or moving picks

c- trade deadline alone doesn't make or break the team, it's more of a team building exercise through trades, drafting, college, and  free agents.

d- will be in the conversations

e- eyes are on the future, we need to continue down this path which there is a long ways to go yet 

4)  Virtanen

a- some nights where he is physically dominating, playing well 

b- some nights where he isn't as well which is a consistency issue which is largely a maturity thing

c- one positive is the setup time, practice time, strength and conditioning time they get in Utica allows Jake to get more touches , more minutes and work on his fitness 

biggest thing is his habits, understanding the consistency, professionalism, what it takes to be a day to day NHL player

5) Cody McLeod's hit

a- it is what it is, live with the ruling and move on

6) Miller Talk

a- anchored our group really well, having a great year

b- gives us a chance to win every night which is key for developing young defencemen if they have a trust in the goaltending, if they make a mistake they can be picked up and both Miller and Markstrom have done that this year.

d- wouldn't rule out Miller coming back next year , will look into it end of the year.

e- he has been everything they have asked for

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How can we "definitely add picks" if we are "not selling"?  Trevor was choosing his words very carefully, as he always does now.  I did note that one contradiction though.

Ah, the careful lawyer speak. "We would LOVE to add picks". Not I WILL add picks, or even I will TRY to add pick. 

"I generally approve of the theoretical concept of us having more picks. If they were somehow to just appear. We will, however, not be selling anyone to get those picks. Because that would be hard."

14 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Topics Covered

1) Reaction to Canucks win in Columbus

a- good performance against a good team

b- anchored by Miller,

c- D was very strong,

d- having Hutton back helps along with  the continued improvement of Nikita, having Stecher play with Edler  allows Tanew to move with Sbisa who is having a real good year to give some balance

e- timely goals

2) Reasoning for Eriksson struggles and what to expect

a- hard to move to new environment, new market

b- Vancouver is a different beast than he seen in Boston and Dallas with the scrutiny and pressure which may be challenging

c-  hard to find a home with a consistent line which is challenging

d-  Loui enjoys playing here and is a very good two way player, very versatile who  can be counted on moving forward

3 ) Daniel and Henrik

a- come to the rink everyday prepared ready to work, setting examples for the younger players

b- hard game on a nightly basis , hard to score, carried load for years with this group

c- positive to see Bo and Sven to take a step forward offensively

d- need to support the Sedins with younger players and not fair to expect Sedins to carry the load   

3) Trade deadline

a - would love to add picks

b - definitely  not selling, not moving picks

c- trade deadline alone doesn't make or break the team, it's more of a team building exercise through trades, drafting, college, and  free agents.

d- will be in the conversations

e- eyes are on the future, we need to continue down this path which there is a long ways to go yet 

4)  Virtanen

a- some nights where he is physically dominating, playing well 

b- some nights where he isn't as well which is a consistency issue which is largely a maturity thing

c- one positive is the setup time, practice time, strength and conditioning time they get in Utica allows Jake to get more touches , more minutes and work on his fitness 

biggest thing is his habits, understanding the consistency, professionalism, what it takes to be a day to day NHL player

5) Cody McLeod's hit

a- it is what it is, live with the ruling and move on

6) Miller Talk

a- anchored our group really well, having a great year

b- gives us a chance to win every night which is key for developing young defencemen if they have a trust in the goaltending, if they make a mistake they can be picked up and both Miller and Markstrom have done that this year.

d- wouldn't rule out Miller coming back next year , will look into it end of the year.

e- he has been everything they have asked for

I think not selling Hansen sbisa miller and Edler at the deadline is a mistake. They have value now I don't see what's so complicated about this. This is disgusting to watch management continuously make bad decisions 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How can we "definitely add picks" if we are "not selling"?  Trevor was choosing his words very carefully, as he always does now.  I did note that one contradiction though.

Pretty sure he said "not moving or selling any picks"

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Not selling ........... so more pending ufas will walk for nothing. brutal.

Pretty sure he didn't say that. Not selling was in regards to picks.... I hope

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not really a contradiction, just saying they are not seller, still a lot of time between now and the draft to add pick. Does not need to happen at the TDL

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he meant we're not "buying" and will not be adding any picks or prospects to a TDL deal. 

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he means that they aren't selling any picks/prospects.

18 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

I think not selling Hansen sbisa miller and Edler at the deadline is a mistake. They have value now I don't see what's so complicated about this. This is disgusting to watch management continuously make bad decisions 

The trade deadline hasn't arrived yet. And that pesky NTC allows Edler to decide.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

No doubt. If another deadline passes without moving any expiring UFA's... I don't know what, but lots of curse words.

If the team is back in a wildcard or within say 2 pts of it, I can see nothing happening with our UFAs, particularly Miller. 

Vegas is going to cost us a current roster player, either in forcing a TDL deal or leaving someone exposed. If they think making the playoffs is more valuable e.g., than getting a 3rd round pick for Hansen, I can see them saying no and letting the chips fall on expansion. You can still move Hansen before the expansion draft to a team that would like him for next season so there's 1 more window of trades so there's no reason to make a bad deal.

If you make bad deals on both Sbisa and Hansen (e.g., take 3rd rounders for them) then you lose 2 good pieces for next year instead of 1.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not selling picks were his words. To me that means if they can sell an expiring contract for a pick... they might.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Not selling picks were his words. To me that means if they can sell an expiring contract for a pick... they might.

Why doesn't Trevor just say (CLEARLY) their intentions then?  We have been through this for two TDLs, and JB has done nothing to add picks.  Then Trevor says, a while back, that "it's not fair to the Twins to rebuild".  Would it be fair to the Twins to trade Hansen, Burr, Edler, or Miller at this TDL?

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If the team is back in a wildcard or within say 2 pts of it, I can see nothing happening with our UFAs, particularly Miller. 

Vegas is going to cost us a current roster player, either in forcing a TDL deal or leaving someone exposed. If they think making the playoffs is more valuable e.g., than getting a 3rd round pick for Hansen, I can see them saying no and letting the chips fall on expansion. You can still move Hansen before the expansion draft to a team that would like him for next season so there's 1 more window of trades so there's no reason to make a bad deal.

If you make bad deals on both Sbisa and Hansen (e.g., take 3rd rounders for them) then you lose 2 good pieces for next year instead of 1.

Why would they have to be bad deals? Given your scenario, you are correct in not giving guys away "just because", the value has to be there.

You're not talking playoffs are you Saul? Playoffs? Not gonna happen. They sure played great yesterday, but that type of effort has happened twice this year.

He does hint that Miller won't be moved considering steady goaltending is integral to the development of our young D, but it would be foolish to resign him prior to the expansion draft.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why doesn't Trevor just say (CLEARLY) their intentions then?  We have been through this for two TDLs, and JB has done nothing to add picks.  Then Trevor says, a while back, that "it's not fair to the Twins to rebuild".  Would it be fair to the Twins to trade Hansen, Burr, Edler, or Miller at this TDL?

How is that not clear to you? If someone says "we're not selling picks and would like to add more" how does that not make their intentions known?

Archived