The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Miller be re-signed or traded?

*Buzzsaw*

Ryan Miller future with Canucks?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Not unless we give him a NMC.  We wouldn't, and that's part of it being a large number.  We'd take the risk with LV, and they'd probably leave him alone as there are lots of goalies to be had.  

My assumptions are that he can get 3 years on the market, but that he also doesn't want to move around.  His agent will tell him that signing a one year deal is a terrible idea.

Smart.  I like your thinking.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They need a contracted goalie to expose in the expansion draft.

No, they already have one in Bachman - he was extended in part to provide that.

Miller won't be re-signing before the expansion draft unless the team actually wanted to expose Markstrom in that draft.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They need a contracted goalie to expose in the expansion draft.

That said one to the two goalies should be traded, Miller is hot right now and there are a couple of teams on the west coast that could use a veteran backup/starter that he would be okay with going to.

Bachman is eligible.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

No, they already have one in Bachman - he was extended in part to provide that.

Miller won't be re-signing before the expansion draft unless the team actually wanted to expose Markstrom in that draft.

Don't you think they would be worried about allegations of collusion?  If we sign him and expose him then there is little risk.  If they take him, which would be nuts, it would save us losing someone else, or buying them off.  We could sign a UFA instead.  The road of least risk would be to sign him as soon as we've signed our RFAs.

Stable and or strong goaltending makes it comfortable for the prospects to develop ( remember the Dubnyk years in Edmonton how they failed ), Miller gives us at that along with his experience in the locker room.

A deal for Miller has got to be "too good to turn down".

5 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Don't you think they would be worried about allegations of collusion?  If we sign him and expose him then there is little risk.  If they take him, which would be nuts, it would save us losing someone else, or buying them off.  We could sign a UFA instead.  The road of least risk would be to sign him as soon as we've signed our RFAs.

The problem though is why would Miller sign in order to be exposed/sent to LV.  Not realistic to expect him to do that - he's free to go where-ever he wants and owes the team nothing.

On 02/10/2017 at 6:00 PM, Fateless said:

Over Bo? What are your smoking.

From what I've seen the goalies (mostly Miller) have bailed the team out more than Horvat has bailed the team out - or the team has won on more occasions because of Miller's play than because of the Ox's play.

On a side note, from a player other than a goalie perspective, the Ox has been our MVP.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The problem though is why would Miller sign in order to be exposed/sent to LV.  Not realistic to expect him to do that - he's free to go where-ever he wants and owes the team nothing.

True.  But he may want to stay and like the offer that may not be there later.  He may be convinced that Vegas isn't grabbing him.  Which I guess is anyone's guess, but I have to think that there are a lot of cheaper options.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

True.  But he may want to stay and like the offer that may not be there later.  He may be convinced that Vegas isn't grabbing him.  Which I guess is anyone's guess, but I have to think that there are a lot of cheaper options.

Isn't Vegas a heck of a lot closer to LA than Vancouver?  I see it as a win/win for Miller if he signs now, and we expose him.  He can't lose then.  It's a really good idea Truck.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Vegas a heck of a lot closer to LA than Vancouver?  I see it as a win/win for Miller if he signs now, and we expose him.  He can't lose then.  It's a really good idea Truck.

Actually, he could lose - a whole lot - of games.  Not many guys want that at the twilight of their careers.

But hey, losing is winning.  Maybe he's a tankist. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Actually, he could lose - a whole lot - of games.  Not many guys want that at the twilight of their careers.

But hey, losing is winning.  Maybe he's a tankist. 

He probably wants to avoid being on a garbage team, no doubt. 

Do you expect to see a bunch of fishy handshake signings right after the expansion draft?  They've made it sound like they're gonna take this seriously.  I somehow doubt that the player agents are entirely trustworthy in terms of loyalty.

33 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

If I was Vegas I'd be going as young as possible with any player available.

Veteran leadership the ilks of Scott Walker ain't going to help anybody.

So who is the youngest goalie likely to head into America's bastion of debauchery?

Just now, Team Bagues said:

If I was Vegas I'd be going as young as possible with any player available.

Veteran leadership the ilks of Scott Walker ain't going to help anybody.

So who is the youngest goalie likely to head into America's bastion of debauchery?

That's what I'm thinking too.  They'll go young and cheap, maybe getting three guys and hoping for a surprise.  Not sure who that is as the league goes through contortions in preparation.  If they want a veteran presence Miller won't be the only option, but he is looking good.  It probably makes sense that he'll try to avoid the risk.

I think the Canucks should try to move Miller with Hansen to Pitsburgh for Fluery and a middle pick. We can retain half on Miller for the end of the season.

Pitsburgh has been willing to deal with us recently and we solve their problem with Fluery for expantion. They don't have to give him away for nothing or buy him out and they get Miller as a capable option for their playoff run plus Hansen to beef up their bottom 6 group. They don't have much cap room so its one of the only type of moves they can make.

On our side we don't lose Hansen for nothing at the expantion draft and instead get 3rd ect plus we add a decent goalie for the next 2 seasons. Not a huge return but better than giving him away or giving vegas a pick to not take him.  We won't have a lot of ufa golie options available for that short 2 year term and we don't have to rely on 2 backups instead ect. We don't have to bank on Miller defying his age with a new contract. Keeps a lot of the pressure off of Markstrom and leaves us plenty of time to let Demko and Garteig develop in Utica before bringing them up. By the time they come up Markstrom will be ready to shelter whoever comes up next. Also gives us a chance to flip Fluery for a pick in 2 years. 

It's also pretty much a given that if we move Miller somehow at the deadline there will almost have to be a goalie or some salary coming back and with the other options availble like Halak, Bishop, Fluery ect the offers are not going to be really spectacular. 

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

Exactly! Fans are calling for a 1 year extension. Not going to happen. My take on Miller is that he will want at least a 3 year deal at going $s to end his career. With his season why would he do otherwise? The goal tender market is a buyers market but Miller will be a UFA so IMO Benning has to deal him.

Archived