The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD's bone head line deployment

Hortankin

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Line deployment is like play calling in football... when you have a bad team the fans can endlessly pick it apart but when you have a good team you look like a genius. 

Not saying he's perfect (or that there's no such thing as poor line deployment or play calling) but it's more often than not low hanging fruit that benefits from "grass is greener" reasoning for losing teams. 

In other news, Willy seems to have found the right buttons to push to keep the team playing hard as well as developing the younger guys on the roster.

WD has made some very questionable line ups.  The quality of the lineup doesn't help, but WD is doing well with his deployments and how many games in the past two years does the 4th line close out a game when we are down a goal?  

If if it happened once, there could be an injury to a player, other than that, it's a mistake. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

The Granlund-Sedin line got scored on so he then changed to the Horvat line with 2min to go until 18:47.  WD then went with the 1st PP unit & Edler when he pulled Miller.  Granlund was in for Stecher initially but then changed at 19:07.  The rest is visible on the play-by-play below. 

298 3 EV 18:00
2:00
GOAL BOS #88 PASTRNAK(25), Wrist, Off. Zone, 31 ft.
Assists: #46 KREJCI(24); #54 MCQUAID(4)
C

C

L

D

D

G
C

R

L

D

D

G
299 3 EV 18:00
2:00
FAC BOS won Neu. Zone - VAN #53 HORVAT vs BOS #37 BERGERON
C

R

L

D

D

G
C

C

R

D

D

G
300 3 EV 18:15
1:45
HIT VAN #23 EDLER HIT BOS #88 PASTRNAK, Neu. Zone
C

R

L

D

D

G
C

C

R

D

D

G
301 3 EV 18:37
1:23
SHOT BOS ONGOAL - #25 CARLO, Wrist, Neu. Zone, 84 ft.
C

R

L

D

D

G
C

C

R

D

D

G
302 3 EV 18:51
1:09
SHOT VAN ONGOAL - #23 EDLER, Wrist, Neu. Zone, 92 ft.
C

C

C

L

L

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
303 3 EV 18:52
1:08
HIT VAN #20 SUTTER HIT BOS #33 CHARA, Off. Zone
C

C

C

L

L

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
304 3 EV 19:14
0:46
MISS VAN #33 SEDIN, Slap, Goalpost, Off. Zone, 41 ft.
C

C

L

L

D

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
305 3 EV 19:29
0:31
SHOT VAN ONGOAL - #20 SUTTER, Snap, Off. Zone, 30 ft.
C

C

L

L

D

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
306 3   19:29
STOP GOALIE STOPPED,VISITOR TIMEOUT
C

C

L

L

D

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
307 3 EV 19:29
FAC BOS won Def. Zone - VAN #33 SEDIN vs BOS #37 BERGERON
C

C

L

L

D

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
308 3 EV 19:57
0:03
SHOT VAN ONGOAL - #22 SEDIN, Wrist, Off. Zone, 36 ft.
C

C

L

L

D

D
C

C

R

D

D

G
309 3   20:00
0:00
PEND Period End- Local time: 3:42 EST
C

C

L

L

D

D
C

C

R

D

D

G

looks like Bergeron was winning all the face-offs. Thats gonna happen sometimes. That doesn't look all that bad on paper, at least no Chaput or Megna. 

28 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Oh that's rich! Pot, meet Kettle. 

Willie definitely leaves me scratching my head with a lot of his deployment decisions, but I honestly don't think he should be fired. This season really isn't salvageable anyway, so why fire him and make the organization look bad? We've already seen a few bad teams use their coaches as scapegoats this season, and their ish still stinks in the after math. Let Willie ride his contract out until the summer. No one could steer this team to playoffs right now. 

I really think WD is a detriment to this team...there isnt much I like about his coaching....but well said...I have to agree...it makes no difference now....and I dont want a knee jerk replacement...although it would also be good to let the new coach feel out the talent and the organization  .

13 minutes ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

It's not the coach's fault Ericksson and the Sedins have flat out sucked this year. 

Or it could be a direct corilation to the coach and his ineffective game plan. These players have all been consistent producers  in their careers, I guess we will find out next season when Vancouver has an NHL coach. Hopefully they hire an NHL gm too some one who understands skill and scoring is what wins. 

Willie should have been fired after his second 9 game losing skid in under twelve months tossed in with a few 4 game losing streaks far better coaches have been fired for less. Loyalty is great but it won't sell seats when the on ice product is garbage from two incompetent ones behind it blundering benning and wonky willie. 

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Me and sooooooo many others have been very upset over what I feel is terrible use of players. Not even just at the end of the game but throughout the entire game.  After not having Bo Horvat out in the final minutes of tonight's game I feel WD has to be fired. Fire him, let the assistant take over, trade vets, hand the torch over to Bo, and let the tank set in. 

So let's start a thread and discuss every bone head move WD makes until he's fired. We will never win a cup with Willie he belongs in the AHL

Dumb thread.  

So many other threads on this exact topic. 

35 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

WD has made some very questionable line ups.  The quality of the lineup doesn't help, but WD is doing well with his deployments and how many games in the past two years does the 4th line close out a game when we are down a goal?  

If if it happened once, there could be an injury to a player, other than that, it's a mistake. 

Yeah, I flip-flop on Willy a lot.. I definitely think a stronger team would help our perception of him - but a stronger team would also benefit from a more tactical coach. 

Edit:  My biggest critique lineup-wise would be his deployment in that series against Calgary his first year.

I generally circle back to concluding that Willy is a fine coach for these transition years because he at least has the team playing hard most nights.  He probably deserves a crack as the roster improves but I doubt he lasts that long.

22 minutes ago, combover said:

Or it could be a direct corilation to the coach and his ineffective game plan. These players have all been consistent producers  in their careers, I guess we will find out next season when Vancouver has an NHL coach. Hopefully they hire an NHL gm too some one who understands skill and scoring is what wins. 

Willie should have been fired after his second 9 game losing skid in under twelve months tossed in with a few 4 game losing streaks far better coaches have been fired for less. Loyalty is great but it won't sell seats when the on ice product is garbage from two incompetent ones behind it blundering benning and wonky willie. 

this ^

That ship has sailed. The only thing that may happen is that players would get a jolt to impress the new coach for consideration for next season. So yeah, there probably would be improved play. Which would only get us a lower pick in the draft. It may even give off a false impression of how good this team is and cause our proven fickle management group to switch back to playoff mode and decide to be buyers instead of sellers. Which would be a yuuuuuuuuge mistake.

Henrik gave the puck away in the offensive left corner.  He was standing still, and he waved feebly at the guy that took it from him.  And then Miller let in a softie at the other end.   But, the play started off Henrik's give away.  Something that is not talked about enough on these forums, is the terribly lax, soft play of the Sedins this year.

1 hour ago, goblix said:

another fire willy thread, i understand the ire but maybe you should find the previous hundred threads and post your comment in that? 

Anyways just ride this out make the change in the offseason. 

^

The Willie Watch thread is the most active and recently active thread, so I'd advise just going there to voice your complaints about Willie. 

• -AJ- locked this topic

Archived