Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

North Korea shoots missile 500km in 'show of force' to Trump, says South


ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Recommended Posts

So this just happened Sunday in North Korea according to South Korea.

 

North Korea has launched a missile that flew 500km before coming down in the Sea of Japan in what the South characterised as a “show of force” to Donald Trump.

 

The missile was fired on Sunday from an area in the country’s western region around Banghyon, North Pyongan province, the South’s joint chiefs of staff said. It is the same area where the country test-launched its powerful midrange missile the Musudan on 15 and 20 October 2016, according to the South.

 

The missile appeared to have been of the Rodong medium-range class or a newer type, said a South Korean military source, and reached an altitude of about 550km.

 

South Korea’s acting president and prime minister, Hwang Kyo-ahn, said his country was working with the international community and “doing its best to ensure a corresponding response to punish the North”, the Yonhap news agency reported.

 

Speaking in Florida during meetings with Trump, the Japanese prime minister, Shinzo Abe, said on Sunday: “North Korea’s most recent missile launch is absolutely intolerable.”

 

Read more here: 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/12/north-korea-shoots-missile-500km-in-show-of-force-to-trump-says-south

Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt NK has anything nuclear but South Korea is so close to them would they even be able to do anything if the North launched one (a nuke)?

 

I know the States could easily shoot it down if NK tried to attack them because of the distance, but could the South really prevent something like that without any warning? I know they have THAAD but like... the distance is soooooo small..

Link to post
Share on other sites

V-1 bombs in WWII had a range of 160 miles. Destroyed or damaged over 1 million structures, and killed over 22,000 people. It had the same casualty rate per ton of bombs as conventional bombing. Before mocking North Korea's capability, NK doesn't even need full nukes. In fact chemical weapons, or dirty bombs are easier to make. Considering Japan and South Korea's proximity, I'd be plenty worried. 

 

It's bad enough you have a nut bar in charge of NK, with Trump in the US, that just makes things worse. By the way this is the same Punkinhead that was saying the US should pull out of South Korea during the election. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

if shooting a missile 500km is what NK considers a "show of force" then... 

It's not about threatening Americans on American soil, it's all about goading Trump into taking the fight to NK. Trump has no tactical experience, and I could definitely see him being out maneuvered even by the North Koreans via proxy by attacking SK with missile attacks. Once the fight is brought to within their range of weaponry, then NK unleashes everything it has.

The whole international stage is unpredictable right now, and a lot of it hinges on what Trump does in the coming weeks and months. Also "show of force" was South Korea's characterization of the launch, not NKs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

TBH, I don't think Trump cares about NK. As long as those missiles don't reach the US, he won't care.

The rest of the world could burn to hell before Trump spends a dollar to help stop the destruction.

 

That's when the disconnect between the Military and the President will be very pronounced. Trump may not care, the US military does. It has bases, jobs, and it's power base. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

TBH, I don't think Trump cares about NK. As long as those missiles don't reach the US, he won't care.

The rest of the world could burn to hell before Trump spends a dollar to help stop the destruction.

 

I think Trump said the US will help other countries in military matters, but it will cost them.  According to Trump the US will no longer be the world's police force, but rather the world's mercenaries?  Is Alf understanding this correctly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Senpai said:

I highly doubt NK has anything nuclear but South Korea is so close to them would they even be able to do anything if the North launched one (a nuke)?

 

I know the States could easily shoot it down if NK tried to attack them because of the distance, but could the South really prevent something like that without any warning? I know they have THAAD but like... the distance is soooooo small..

The U.S has a big base in S.K and interceptor missiles stationed there. You are correct though it's so close that it likely could land, that being said N.K would be wiped off the face of the Earth.

 

This wasn't an accident, Abe was in Washington and N.K launches a missile in the sea of Japan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Senpai said:

I highly doubt NK has anything nuclear but South Korea is so close to them would they even be able to do anything if the North launched one (a nuke)?

 

I know the States could easily shoot it down if NK tried to attack them because of the distance, but could the South really prevent something like that without any warning? I know they have THAAD but like... the distance is soooooo small..

NK would not nuke SK as it is so close, the fallout would effect them as well. Beside the obvious ramifications they would face from the rest of the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

TBH, I don't think Trump cares about NK. As long as those missiles don't reach the US, he won't care.

The rest of the world could burn to hell before Trump spends a dollar to help stop the destruction.

 

Or we could take his word when he stated the U.S 100% backs Japan.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

It's not about threatening Americans on American soil, it's all about goading Trump into taking the fight to NK. Trump has no tactical experience, and I could definitely see him being out maneuvered even by the North Koreans via proxy by attacking SK with missile attacks. Once the fight is brought to within their range of weaponry, then NK unleashes everything it has.

The whole international stage is unpredictable right now, and a lot of it hinges on what Trump does in the coming weeks and months. Also "show of force" was South Korea's characterization of the launch, not NKs.

Trumps "tactical" experience is irrelavent as the millatary would be advising him. NK is nothing more than a school yard bully puffing his chest out right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Trumps "tactical" experience is irrelavent as the millatary would be advising him. NK is nothing more than a school yard bully puffing his chest out right now.

It absolutely is relevant, as Commander in Chief, Trump can choose to ignore any advice given and issue his own orders. Now typically, if someone who were actually qualified to be President in the position, then it wouldn't be a concern. However, with Trump all bets are off.

Especially when you take into context the fact that Trump removed the most senior military adviser to the NSC (National Security Council) and replaced them with someone from his inner circle, it's not entirely out of the question that Trump could have his own "opinions" regarding military matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

It's not about threatening Americans on American soil, it's all about goading Trump into taking the fight to NK. Trump has no tactical experience, and I could definitely see him being out maneuvered even by the North Koreans via proxy by attacking SK with missile attacks. Once the fight is brought to within their range of weaponry, then NK unleashes everything it has.

The whole international stage is unpredictable right now, and a lot of it hinges on what Trump does in the coming weeks and months. Also "show of force" was South Korea's characterization of the launch, not NKs.

South Korea would destroy the North in a regional battle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt that the milatary (or the NSC) would let him call the shots, any situational threat would be discussed thoroughly. If all else fails, I guess they could just send Seth Rogan and James Franco over to assassinate Kim Jong-un

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I highly doubt that the milatary (or the NSC) would let him call the shots, any situational threat would be discussed thoroughly. If all else fails, I guess they could just send Seth Rogan and James Franco over to assassinate Kim Jong-un

Unfortunately the NSC or the Military can't do a damn thing unless they chose to perform a military coup and remove Trump as commander in chief, and at that it wouldn't even be the military OR the NSC performing this. It would be the National Guard acting on behalf of the Senate. It's absolutely insane to even be talking about this hypothetical when it comes to the USA, but again with Trump in the chair nothing is outside the realm of possibility.

If the Military and NSC remain true to the constitution and the Presidency, then Trump's word is the gold standard. Almost every other president that has ever served the position has been intelligent enough to know that they are NOT military strategists, and actually listen to and abide by the advice given.

It's no secret that Trump has been incredibly outspoken in his criticism of the US Military, I'm not willing to rely on conventional wisdom in this situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...