The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Perfect time for Benning to finish the overhaul

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Slander?  My issue with this thread is it suggests a rebuild is occurring.  It's actually a retool, where the roster is turned over.  JB has brought in a bunch of 24 - 31 year old players, who (he hoped) could compete for the playoffs, and support the Twins.  The tear down rebuild will begin when the Twins are gone in 2018

Well sort of, Benning wanted 22-24 year olds to fill out the gap range that Gillis failed to draft. This was to develop the next core after the sedins rather than waiting for 4-5 years for these drafted players to develop into a system that would have literally nothing to build around or integrate into.

You can argue if this is the right way or wrong way to rebuild.

Erickson and Sutter were other stories, I like Sutter though, he's still got game for a while. Erickson starting to look less appealing.

Also even if JB / TL had the standpoint of trying to stay competitive that doesn't mean that they can't trade pending UFAs or move contracts out for futures. Nor does it mean they can't shift their focus after a dismal season when they are realistically out of the playoff picture.

What we want and what the Canucks will do are completely different things.

I am hoping they trade either Elder or Tanev, plus, for a young 1LW. The only top 6 calibre LWers they have are Eriksson, Baertschi and maybe Granlund. Not good enough moving forward. Seeing as Markstrom isn't getting many starts, I believe Miller will be re-signed. Burrows traded to MTL at the TDL for a 3rd. Hope they sign Horvat and Tryamkin long term.

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

I'm good with the Hansen trade everything else not really. And that's not cuz it's a bad trade but because I don't like duchene. 

And in the expansion draft we could protect Sbisa and guddy and who ever else since Tanev and Edler are gone btw. 

I'm my opinion Edler Hansen Burrows Miller And Tanev could be traded. Edler Hansen Tanev would get us a great return possibly picks and prospects. It would defiantly help our team. 

I think we need to fire willie and hire Claude Julian too since he'd fit just like a puzzle piece 

But thanks for addressing our skill level, which has been non existent for three years, but I guess people get desensitized to it.

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Slander?  My issue with this thread is it suggests a rebuild is occurring.  It's actually a retool, where the roster is turned over.  JB has brought in a bunch of 24 - 31 year old players, who (he hoped) could compete for the playoffs, and support the Twins.  The tear down rebuild will begin when the Twins are gone in 2018

What's amazing here, is your complete under estimation of JB's ability to assess talent. Do you really believe that JB thinks the Sedins still have it...He more than anyone knows that this team cannot compete with the Sedins in a prominent role with this club. So no, this is not a retool, it's a wait and let the Sedins leave on their own terms, then we will compete, but until then let's capture serious skill with the rest of the old core(Edler, Tanev a couple of first from a weak draft, and a good young player in Granlund).

42 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

But thanks for addressing our skill level, which has been non existent for three years, but I guess people get desensitized to it.

What? 

I can't tell if that's a jab or not.

If it is I just wanna let u know that our return for edler Hansen and Tanev could bring in skill. 1st rounders could draft good young players and prospects can be skilled guys. I don't see the point in trading for overrated duchene and landeskog. Both are mid 20's. Of rather have guys between 18-22 range rn.

Plus u can sign Zach Aston-Reese and get better. 

Possible trades 

Edler to washington for 1st and bowie

Tanev to Tampa for 1st and howden

Hansen to L.A. for 1st

Burrows to Montreal for third 

There u go we have 4 firsts which could be used to get mittelstadt Hague Rasmussen and comtois 

Total potential earnings could be 

3 centres mittelstadt and Rasmussen howden

2 wingers comtois Aston-Reese

2 Defenders Hague bowie 

Pretty solid ehhhhh

Future would look brighter than if we stayed the same wouldn't it. In fact we'd be competitive sooner than with our current team and prospects 

11 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

What? 

I can't tell if that's a jab or not.

If it is I just wanna let u know that our return for edler Hansen and Tanev could bring in skill. 1st rounders could draft good young players and prospects can be skilled guys. I don't see the point in trading for overrated duchene and landeskog. Both are mid 20's. Of rather have guys between 18-22 range rn.

Plus u can sign Zach Aston-Reese and get better. 

Possible trades 

Edler to washington for 1st and bowie

Tanev to Tampa for 1st and howden

Hansen to L.A. for 1st

Burrows to Montreal for third 

There u go we have 4 firsts which could be used to get mittelstadt Hague Rasmussen and comtois 

Total potential earnings could be 

3 centres mittelstadt and Rasmussen howden

2 wingers comtois Aston-Reese

2 Defenders Hague bowie 

Pretty solid ehhhhh

Future would look brighter than if we stayed the same wouldn't it. In fact we'd be competitive sooner than with our current team and prospects 

This is a little off but I like what ur going for its a great idea. We shouldn't stay the course with our current roster we'll just get older and not as better as if we were to trade the older players with value now

9 minutes ago, Mike Ross said:

This is a little off but I like what ur going for its a great idea. We shouldn't stay the course with our current roster we'll just get older and not as better as if we were to trade the older players with value now

Our defence would take a hit tho but maybe sign college free agent defender Daniel brickley...

Bowie Gudbranson 

Tryamkin stecher 

Hutton Sbisa 

---------------------------------

Brickley subban 

Pedan 

Its weak but it'll definitely get better eventually 

But those forward prospects depth tho 

LW DEPTH 

Baertschi Granlund comtois 

RW DEPTH 

Boeser Aston-Reese virtanen 

CENTRE DEPTH 

Horvat mittelstadt Rasmussen gaudette Howden 

Prospects would actually be a position of strength for this franchise 

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

What's amazing here, is your complete under estimation of JB's ability to assess talent. Do you really believe that JB thinks the Sedins still have it...He more than anyone knows that this team cannot compete with the Sedins in a prominent role with this club. So no, this is not a retool, it's a wait and let the Sedins leave on their own terms, then we will compete, but until then let's capture serious skill with the rest of the old core(Edler, Tanev a couple of first from a weak draft, and a good young player in Granlund).

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the young (elite) skill you're referring too, except for Bo

4 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

Fortunately, the overhaul is almost finished. It started a couple of years ago with the Kesler trade, and will be complete when the Sedin's have retired. The hockey that we've witnessed between these points is nothing short of just plain terrible. Our team is devoid of any real superstar talent/skill or physical presence. Benning must address the skill first, by using the chips he has; grit and physical presence is much easier to add.

The first thing that has to happen is a team needs to covet our Swiss army knife(Jannik Hansen), this guy has consistently been our best forward over the past few years, he scores, hits, kills powerplays, fights, fits the speed game that Pitt plays and is the consummate professional. I can seriously see the Penguins come asking for him. What a great pickup for the Penguins come playoff time, and it would only cost them their late first round pick. Both teams win...

With that said,

To Denver,

Chris Tanev + 2017 1st(acquired from Pitt) + Granlund(his value has never been higher) for  M.Duchene

as far as cap this deal is almost a wash, and the Av's are happy as this meets their criteria for the asking price for Duchene; which is a top pair defender, 1st round pick and a good young player or good prospect.

To Tampa Bay,

Edler + 2017 1st for J.Drouin

as far as cap, Canucks win and Tampa has about 7 mil to play with. Canucks appear to be giving up a lot; first pair defender and a very high first round pick, but consider that this years draft is weak and with the Canucks luck the lottery for draft order would fall to unfavorable results...But to get a potential superstar we need to give up this sort of bounty.

I know this leaves us weaker on defence and without any first rounders in this years draft(remember its a weak draft) but look at our forward lineup and we dealt from an area that we are strong and potentially could be stronger with Juolevi coming.

New look lines,

DROUIN     HORVAT     DUSCHENE   very speedy, talented and legit first line in this league

BAERTSCHI   SUTTER    ERIKSSON  good second line 

D.SEDIN     H.SEDIN    BURROWS      good third line, we really need the Sedin's to hang them up, or request a trade.

SKILLE     CHAPUT    MEGNA              solid bottom trio

HUTTON    GUDBRANSON

TRYAMKIN   STECHER

SBISA    BEIGA

we loose Sbisa in the expansion draft, but Juolevi will more than fill that spot next year. I also think Brisebois might be ready for a third line defence pairing. We might have one of the best young defence core in the league. With Boesser coming, I see him slotting into the second line RW spot, which moves Eriksson to the third line. I also think to make the Canuck team a true three line team, they should split the Sedins next year( if they are still here) so Henrik can distribute the puck to Baertschi and Boesser and Sutter can play between Daniel and Eriksson. 

When the Sedins are retired at the end of the 2017/2018 season, we focus on adding 2 power forwards, at which point Virtanen might be ready and we'll really only need one.

Next years line up,

DROUIN    HORVAT    DUSCHENE

BAERTSCHI   H.SEDIN   BOESSER

D.SEDIN     SUTTER    ERIKSSON

SKILLE     GAUNCE     MEGNA

HUTTON    STECHER

TRYAMKIN   SUBBAN

JUOLEVI    GUBRANSON

Thoughts... 

Ya ummmm, can't do that. No way we loose both Edler and Tanev, we can only afford to loose one especially if we loose Sbisa to expansion. We can't leave our defence that young with out a legit veteran to guide our young guys. Period.

I think benning opened a vein when we got stecher. Some one who was instantly ready to jump into the nhl. I think we should go after college free agents Zach Aston-Reese and Daniel brickley. Both have potential to step right into our lineup and make an impact. If we do no deadline deals I at least wanna see these players signed. Brickley is a defender and has more scoring potential than stecher with 24 points in 22 games and he's just 21. Aston Reese is 22 And has 51 points in 28 games. GET IT DONE JIMMY MA BOY

3 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

I'm good with the Hansen trade everything else not really. And that's not cuz it's a bad trade but because I don't like duchene. 

And in the expansion draft we could protect Sbisa and guddy and who ever else since Tanev and Edler are gone btw. 

I'm my opinion Edler Hansen Burrows Miller And Tanev could be traded. Edler Hansen Tanev would get us a great return possibly picks and prospects. It would defiantly help our team. 

I think we need to fire willie and hire Claude Julian too since he'd fit just like a puzzle piece 

Can't loose both Tanev and Edler must have veterean d man to help young guys

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the young (elite) skill you're referring too, except for Bo

Alflives, your way more intelligent...Duchene played for team Canada in the Olympics, sure it's when Tavares went down but he looked great against the best in the world and that was 2 years ago. Your still not sure if Duchene is an elite player? Drouin is well on his way, it's hardly a risk. With forwards like Horvat, Duchene, Boesser, Drouin and Baertschi, scoring will not be a problem for this team.

14 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

I think benning opened a vein when we got stecher. Some one who was instantly ready to jump into the nhl. I think we should go after college free agents Zach Aston-Reese and Daniel brickley. Both have potential to step right into our lineup and make an impact. If we do no deadline deals I at least wanna see these players signed. Brickley is a defender and has more scoring potential than stecher with 24 points in 22 games and he's just 21. Aston Reese is 22 And has 51 points in 28 games. GET IT DONE JIMMY MA BOY

The issue with this is these players can play wherever they want, whats the draw to the Canucks, are they hometown boys like the Stecher?

Just now, captaincowbasher said:

Have you seen the Canucks record? teams senior defenders look great?

Didn't say they look great or that they have a good record, but there our best defenceman and we need at least a single veteran to help guide the young guys that we have. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Next time you respond to one of my posts please read it first to understand what I am saying.

16 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

Alflives, your way more intelligent...Duchene played for team Canada in the Olympics, sure it's when Tavares went down but he looked great against the best in the world and that was 2 years ago. Your still not sure if Duchene is an elite player? Drouin is well on his way, it's hardly a risk. With forwards like Horvat, Duchene, Boesser, Drouin and Baertschi, scoring will not be a problem for this team.

How do we get Duchene and Druoin?  Yes, if we had them we would have more elite skill to compliment Bo.  

Archived