The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Nyqvist: Ugly Spear to the Face of Spurgeon

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guy should get 20 games for that, but league will say the five minute major counts as enough.  Nyquist should have been forced to man up for that.  If these players knew they had to take some face punches, they wouldn't do this crap.

He only took a double minor for high sticking, not even a major! Brutal play. Completely unnecessary. I would've expected more from Nyquist.

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

WOW!

I look forward to reading the DOPS 's explanation of why this doesn't deserve 5-10 games.  Nothing like a little DOPS fiction or "alternate Facts" to entertain.

'nyquist is a good guy playing on a great organization. no prior history. 2 games.'

they really like to ignore the severity of a incident when they come up with their rulings, especially if they've done nothing in the past. bunch of morons. 

4 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

'nyquist is a good guy playing on a great organization. no prior history. 2 games.'

they really like to ignore the severity of a incident when they come up with their rulings, especially if they've done nothing in the past. bunch of morons. 

Probably something like...

"While Nyquist did raise his stick, he had no intention to actually hit Spurgeon.  Unfortunately, Spurgeon, just prior to contact, moved his head in such a manner as to initiate contact.  IN such a case, a fine is deemed appropriate.  We hereby fine Spurgeon $5K for slashing Nyquist's stick with his face".

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Nyqvist received only a four minute minor. 

This is one of the worst stick incidents I've seen since Brashear. If Duncan Keith got 6 games, this should be 15. For reference:

That's nasty. Should be a suspension for sure.  I don't know how many games because DoPS usually decides based on whether the player was injured or not but there's clearly an intent and it could have ruined a player's career if it struck him in the eye or something like that.

Archived