The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

D. Sedin: "I know people say we're too old, we're done"

Sedin Brothers

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

They took discounts for years and years.

They also took all the gravey and none of the pk, shot blocking or hitting, so I think they are square with their pay. Not many captains in the history of the league did not kill penalties, or play in all situations, for instance. They're longevity, in part, is due to their deployment.

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

They also took all the gravey and none of the pk, shot blocking or hitting, so I think they are square with their pay. Not many captains in the history of the league did not kill penalties, or play in all situations, for instance. They're longevity, in part, is due to their deployment.

I might agree with some of that had they not taken a great deal of punishment while in possession of the puck.

11 minutes ago, skategal said:
3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Correct.

Great guys for the team and city who'll have their numbers deservedly retired, but right now it looks like father time has finally caught up to them. I find it difficult to listen to them preach playing the right way, when the young kids are sitting on the bench watching them lazily back check, waiving their sticks at pucks and being regularly out of position in the defensive zone.

4 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

If you arent scoring? You need to prevent the other team from scoring. And Either are happening for the twins right now. 

12 minutes ago, skategal said:

I'm a bit confused with all the talk about Sedins being first line, Horvat and wingers being second line.  If I'm the opposing coach, I'm not worried about a number arbitrarily assigned to any line, I'm worried about the production from that line, and what line I have to match up best against them.  We're starting to see the Horvat PP line come out first on the PP, and quite often we see the Sutter line starting the game.  

I'm not sure WD is concerned about line numbers but rather situational play.  He indicated that as his explanation for not having Horvat out on the offensive faceoff near the end of the game in Boston.  Whether we agree with him or not is a different issue, and I'm not trying to launch that debate again in a different thread. 

I think we'll continue to see an evolution as the Horvat line gets more recognition around the league and they will start to attract the stronger checking from whomever the team is playing, and hopefully that might mean the Sedin's start getting lesser matchups.   Ergo the shift from line 1 to line 2 will happen whether they are formally identified that way or not.  

Hey, its great what they have done in the past but the thing that concerns me is that they are still considered the #1 PP and #1 line in WD 's eyes. He is putting them out there in the last few minutes of a game INSTEAD of Bo. He is only putting the #2 PP on when the Sedins line just finished a shift or just came off a PP. AND....they are still making 14 million dollars a season. No matter what has happened in the past if you are a paying customer do you care what they did for you last year or 5 years ago? You want your moneys worth NOW!

They are currently a defensive liability(Henrik has the worst pus/minus on the team) and are NOT the leading goal scorer(Bo is), so why are they playing in the last 2 minutes of a game? Because WD sees them as the go to guys.

Thank You for your services fellas but its time to turn the reigns over to those that have worked hard for it and have earned it. Oh and WD can you please take a look at the current point standings and make your changes accordingly, Thanks. ::D

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I might agree with some of that had they not taken a great deal of punishment while in possession of the puck.

All the glory none of the defence. That "punishment" is nothing compared to what pk'ers face every damn night. And it's not as if they were the Burrows taking the beatings in front of the net. 

Tortz forced them into accountability as a complete player and they broke. 

I recall all many instances early in their careers where the literally jumped out of the way of shots, both on the O and D. It's never a popular position on here to criticize these guys, but other than there amazing ESP passes, I've never been a fan of their game.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

All the glory none of the defence. That "punishment" is nothing compared to what pk'ers face every damn night. And it's not as if they were the Burrows taking the beatings in front of the net. 

I recall all many instances early in their careers where the literally jumped out of the way of shots, both on the O and D. It's never a popular position on here to criticize these guys, but other than there amazing ESP passes, I've never been a fan of their game.

That kind of makes sense in that the Torts season started out OK and then the wheels just fell off the second half. They just stopped playing that was obvious. They were the leaders of the team so they had control of the room and could dictate how hard they played or how soft.

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

That kind of makes sense in that the Torts season started out OK and then the wheels just fell off the second half. They just stopped playing that was obvious. They were the leaders of the team so they had control of the room and could dictate how hard they played or how soft.

They were one-D players, made to compete like their peers and play a team first, complete game, for almost a full season and they literally broke. All this warrior and grit talk makes me kind of curl my lip at the mislabelling being applied, at the disrespectful expense of folks like Toews, Benn... They never had to pull the same shifts as their counterparts, yet get the same distinction. I disagree, obviously. 

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

its not their fault this teams drafting was crap for years and no successors were found to replace them

uhhh, actually it kind of was in a way...they were so good and the team they led was so dominant that they always left poor Delorme choosing at the bottom of the barrel.

go Sedins.

5 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I'd like the Granlund experiment to continue for awhile, still think Erikson is a bad fit for them, otherwise Hansen should be on that line.

Granlund is showing that he is a future first liner in my opinion. Im hopping we keep Hansen. I would like to see a future first line of Granlund Horvat Hansen with Boesser/ Virtanen/and Lockwood competing to replace Hansen when he retires. 

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It's one thing to prefer two way players - most people who understand the game do - but another to say that you've never been a fan.

Tortorella's use of them is the perfect example of bad coaching - the Sedins simply aren't good enough skaters nor are they quick or physical enough to be good penalty killers.  Using a player to their weaknesses, expecting them to be what they aren't, is on Tortorella and his hard-headed intention of cookie-guttering the lineup.  A team that had Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Richardson, Weise, Santorelli - and Tortorella insists on making penalty killers out of the Sedins.   Horrible idea that never should have gotten beyond the idea stage. Do I wish the Sedins were better two way players - of course, but they're not.

It's funny though - players paid to scored 23 and 29 pts more the following season - 76 and 73 pts - near point per game players again - the year after Tortorella was fired.

12 minutes ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

Our best chance at a 1st line right now is Sedins with Horvat. Hello coaches? Ya heard it here first. Now implement that stuff. 

That's an interesting idea, but maybe Bo ends up covering the defensive liability of the Twins, and that restricts his offence?

I love the Sedins and I hope they retire here.  They are definitely past their prime but still pull out some of that Sedinery every once and a while that leaves me shaking my head wondering how....however if they arent producing like 1st liners anymore then WD needs to cut there ice time back and bump up the Horvat line. I imagine by mid next year our lineup will have Sedins penciled in as on the second line.

7 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Beauty. Just another reason why these guys are important to the team. They don't take mediocrity lightly. The twins are so hard-working, even when they've already earned all the respect they can get.

The Sedins can say whatever they want doesn't mean it fixes the situation. I'd like to see them moved to the 2nd line so bo can get some more ice time. The twins have admitted saying they wouldn't mind playing a 2nd line role on the team. 

I feel there are a few reasons why us as fans generally expect more.

First, they are clearly getting paid as first liners and they know it.  With that said, we've received very good value from them over the years so now they are getting paid back a bit.  I have no issue with that.

Second, we've seen them so good for so long, it is hard to see them falter like this.  With that said, they ARE getting older and many players have retired by this age.

Last (that I can think of off the top of my head) is that they would be in a better position to fade out quietly if we had players who could successfully take the reigns for that top line.  But while Horvat might be at least close to good enough, he doesn't have the linemates to put together a solid first line anyway.  So then the hope for substantial scoring remains.  But again, with that said, it is not the Sedins fault that management hasn't found a way to come up with replacements.

I am not upset they are not scoring like they used to.  I thought they would - especially with Eriksson, but they aren't.  Perhaps if Eriksson actually played like his paycheque suggests then the Sedins wouldn't even be in this drought.

Kinda pisses me off,

These two great players should be easing into their secondary offensive roles, facing weaker D pairings and 2nd P.K units, getting easier points and enjoying not being the guys who HAVE  to score.

We had the opportunity to make that happen, it was right there for the taking and everyone but the Canucks knew it. But Today, instead of watching our new first line players establish themselves, we took those opportunities and turned them into Virtanen who needs no introduction and joulevi who was told to go home early and will only ever be a solid player nothing special (watched his game the other night...think Marc Stall or maybe Ian Cole, Kyle Quincy, josh gorges Mathias Ohlund is too high a comparison, unlikely he is ever that good) If it wern't for a brilliant and bold move by Mike Gillis this team would be %100 in the crapper. I will not kid myself into thinking Btrchi and Grandlund are the answer, Sutter too has average written all over him, maybe these guys can get20 G , but I'm willing to bet that's all they get.

As time rolls on I see the amount this team has riding on Boeser can't be underestimated,

Now if only we could flip Virtannen and Joulevi for Reinhart

I will asses the future of this team by what they do with the Gudbrannson contract, he has proven that sadly he has no idea how to play hockey and cripples any unit he is on the ice with, Not only should he not get a raise but he should either be moved to 4th line wing or gotten rid of, anyone who has actually played the game and not only watched it on TV understands exactly what I'm talking about. However there is some ego tied upo in this player our GM will look bad if he deals him, he will look bad for having drafted Mc Can when everyone in the league knows that he slid as far as he did in the first round because nobody actually wanted the guy around, he is well known to be personally intolerable and fr a guy who is supposed to be a scout at heart Benning should have known he wouldn't fit. Bryan Murry knew how to handle him, dressed him down in front of the other panthers durrring pre season and told him he may never see the NHL again and Murray could care less if he does, now he's back and on his best behavior. 

I'm a' ramblling,,,,,,,,blah...blah...blah...blah

Archived