The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

D. Sedin: "I know people say we're too old, we're done"

Sedin Brothers

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

They were one-D players, made to compete like their peers and play a team first, complete game, for almost a full season and they literally broke. All this warrior and grit talk makes me kind of curl my lip at the mislabelling being applied, at the disrespectful expense of folks like Toews, Benn... They never had to pull the same shifts as their counterparts, yet get the same distinction. I disagree, obviously. 

Ughh what BS

1. The Sedins have always been great defensive players, it's what allowed them to stay in the league for so long before they started scoring

2/ Team first game? You play a team first game by doing what you are good at,the best you are able, it doesn't make you a team first guy to go do things that you aren't good at it makes you an idiot. and your team, will be more likely to lose.

3. Ahh assessing players by the shots they block! Hey, do you know how goalies feel about torts and his shot blocking fetish? THEY HATE it! They want guys OUT OF THE WAY so they can do what they are paid to. Shot blocking is a trend started by guys who weren't talented enough to stay in the league, they figured if they limited their shots against they might keep their paychecks, but by no stats has shot blocking shown to be more effective then letting your goaltender SEE the puck, alot of the time it results in the goalie losing track of the puck, when someone blocks a shot you are witnessing an entirely selfish play by someone who is trying to bring the glory on them, the much safer play is to make sure the goalie can see it. It seems you have a thing for guys who do other people's duties in the hopes of stealing the spotlight/.........ya, that's real team first stuff there

It is only in the last 15 or so years that the coaches have become the stars of the game, individual artistry has been discouraged and everyone is expected to a copy of anyone else, you can than Lemaire for that, his ego was so big he wouldn't even name a team captain, under him Brent Burns was labeled a flop not a "team guy" for not becoming one of Lemaire's robots, and look at where he is now. Toews plays the way he does because he's GOODat it, you don't tell every player you have to be him, you find out what they are good at and put them in positions to succead

10 hours ago, skategal said:

I'm a bit confused with all the talk about Sedins being first line, Horvat and wingers being second line.  If I'm the opposing coach, I'm not worried about a number arbitrarily assigned to any line, I'm worried about the production from that line, and what line I have to match up best against them.  We're starting to see the Horvat PP line come out first on the PP, and quite often we see the Sutter line starting the game.  

I'm not sure WD is concerned about line numbers but rather situational play.  He indicated that as his explanation for not having Horvat out on the offensive faceoff near the end of the game in Boston.  Whether we agree with him or not is a different issue, and I'm not trying to launch that debate again in a different thread. 

I think we'll continue to see an evolution as the Horvat line gets more recognition around the league and they will start to attract the stronger checking from whomever the team is playing, and hopefully that might mean the Sedin's start getting lesser matchups.   Ergo the shift from line 1 to line 2 will happen whether they are formally identified that way or not.  

You'll know the Sedins are the second line when Willie puts them on the ice on the road and the opposing coach no longer sends out his top defenders.

4 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Ughh what BS

1. The Sedins have always been great defensive players, it's what allowed them to stay in the league for so long before they started scoring

2/ Team first game? You play a team first game by doing what you are good at,the best you are able, it doesn't make you a team first guy to go do things that you aren't good at it makes you an idiot. and your team, will be more likely to lose.

3. Ahh assessing players by the shots they block! Hey, do you know how goalies feel about torts and his shot blocking fetish? THEY HATE it! They want guys OUT OF THE WAY so they can do what they are paid to. Shot blocking is a trend started by guys who weren't talented enough to stay in the league, they figured if they limited their shots against they might keep their paychecks, but by no stats has shot blocking shown to be more effective then letting your goaltender SEE the puck, alot of the time it results in the goalie losing track of the puck, when someone blocks a shot you are witnessing an entirely selfish play by someone who is trying to bring the glory on them, the much safer play is to make sure the goalie can see it. It seems you have a thing for guys who do other people's duties in the hopes of stealing the spotlight/.........ya, that's real team first stuff there

It is only in the last 15 or so years that the coaches have become the stars of the game, individual artistry has been discouraged and everyone is expected to a copy of anyone else, you can than Lemaire for that, his ego was so big he wouldn't even name a team captain, under him Brent Burns was labeled a flop not a "team guy" for not becoming one of Lemaire's robots, and look at where he is now. Toews plays the way he does because he's GOODat it, you don't tell every player you have to be him, you find out what they are good at and put them in positions to succead

1. Their defense has always been their offense and the ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone. They check opposing players most of the time with their stick and rarely ever with their bodies as their penalties(hook or a hold) they get, dictates this . Their lack of offense now shows their defensive weaknesses. Henrik's team leading -18 also shows this. Aging players usually stay in the league by utilizing their Leadership skills and their defensive play. Not sure the Sedins have enough of this to warrant giving them extended contracts if they can no longer produce any top line offense.

2. See above and their selfish use of the PP time does not spell "team first". Sometimes the 2nd PP gets about the last 15-20 seconds of the PP to work with.

3. Love or hate Torts, the man still has a Stanley Cup and his current team is not doing too shabby right now. Players who give up on their coach and more importantly their team, is more of a concern for me. "Pouters" does not spell "leaders" in my books.

5 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Ughh what BS

Like I've said before on here, I know it's not a popular position to criticize them here, but I've said what I think. No amount of blaming coaches, goalies or leadership styles is going to persuade me to change my mind. There are reasons that the Sedins are shown next to no respect on or off the ice by their peers. It's not because of me or you. Or the coach, goalie, etc. 

Love the Sedins but I agree - they should no longer be the first line.  However  they are still called that but no treated as such so m uch anymore.  Horvat needs a couple of  good wingers - maybe Granny - Maybe Sven - I don't know.  The problem being there really is no one to step into their shoes quite yet.

Appreciate them while they are here - we will miss them when they retire.

15 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

man I am so sick of garbage fans like you. you are exactly the type that give this fan base a bad rep. players get old and their production declines, its not their fault this teams drafting was crap for years and no successors were found to replace them and now they are stuck in the position of having to fill a role they are no longer suited for. ideally they would be our second or third line right now but that's not the reality. I remember when trash like you gave the same treatment to Naslund when he was past his prime. So quick to turn on people who gave everything they had to this team and city but as soon as those numbers drop, out come the torches and pitchforks. &^@#ing disgusting.

I'm so sick of fans like you with you're emotional feelings getting in the way of a team actually trying to win a championship. You can like what they have done for the team in their prime, but they have done what they loved doing for many years, making more money than most people ever dream of and they will have a great life when they are done, but the team does not owe them anything. I don't blame them for their position on the team, that goes to the GM, but for them to not admit that they are slowing down is just ridiculous. Just like you are. People pay big money to watch this team try to win a Cup, not watch players get older and slower on the ice and not even admit it.

You are a narrow minded person with no vision.

20 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I'd like the Granlund experiment to continue for awhile, still think Erikson is a bad fit for them, otherwise Hansen should be on that line.

I like Erikson with Sutter.

At present Hansen or Granlund with the Sedins.

I'd like to bump up Baer's value and get rid of him.

5 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I'm so sick of fans like you with you're emotional feelings getting in the way of a team actually trying to win a championship. You can like what they have done for the team in their prime, but they have done what they loved doing for many years, making more money than most people ever dream of and they will have a great life when they are done, but the team does not owe them anything. I don't blame them for their position on the team, that goes to the GM, but for them to not admit that they are slowing down is just ridiculous. Just like you are. People pay big money to watch this team try to win a Cup, not watch players get older and slower on the ice and not even admit it.

You are a narrow minded person with no vision.

Trust me bud, we are all sick of "fans" like you as well.  

17 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Love the Sedins but I agree - they should no longer be the first line.  However  they are still called that but no treated as such so m uch anymore.  Horvat needs a couple of  good wingers - maybe Granny - Maybe Sven - I don't know.  The problem being there really is no one to step into their shoes quite yet.

Appreciate them while they are here - we will miss them when they retire.

This!    While they should be getting 2nd or 3rd line ice time (which would IMO make them more effective), no other line (full line) is ready for  the 19min a night the Twins are eating up.  If WD had been able to keep the twins around 15min/game this year I don't think we'd be seeing the bad defensive play and +/-

8 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Is this guys for real!?!?  Funniest posts since desi.. only difference people actually appreciated the humour in desi

Yes, sadly, it's for real. 

I've waited for this Naslund-Sedin era to end since the day they started thinking it was a good idea to make the guy who picks up the scrum opponesnt's sticks for them, Captain. Not a fan of having the meekest men carry the team flag, in any situation, neverming the NHL. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Like I've said before on here, I know it's not a popular position to criticize them here, but I've said what I think. No amount of blaming coaches, goalies or leadership styles is going to persuade me to change my mind. There are reasons that the Sedins are shown next to no respect on or off the ice by their peers. It's not because of me or you. Or the coach, goalie, etc. 

Wrong again dude.. the only people who show disrespect for the twins are the rats of the world.. they are regarded very highly by their peers not only for their abilities, but for the way they behave on and off the ice.. they are 100% class acts and the only ones that hate on them are people like you.  You could learn a lot from these two if you'd only try

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, sadly, it's for real. 

I've waited for this Naslund-Sedin era to end since the day they started thinking it was a good idea to make the guy who picks up the scrum opponesnt's sticks for them, Captain. Not a fan of having the meekest men carry the team flag, in any situation, neverming the NHL. 

Lols. 

Just now, TheOgRook said:

Wrong again dude.. the only people who show disrespect for the twins are the rats of the world.. they are regarded very highly by their peers not only for their abilities, but for the way they behave on and off the ice.. they are 100% class acts and the only ones that hate on them are people like you.  You could learn a lot from these two if you'd only try

Let's agree to disagree here. 

Archived