The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

D. Sedin: "I know people say we're too old, we're done"

Sedin Brothers

16 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

man I am so sick of garbage fans like you. you are exactly the type that give this fan base a bad rep. players get old and their production declines, its not their fault this teams drafting was crap for years and no successors were found to replace them and now they are stuck in the position of having to fill a role they are no longer suited for. ideally they would be our second or third line right now but that's not the reality. I remember when trash like you gave the same treatment to Naslund when he was past his prime. So quick to turn on people who gave everything they had to this team and city but as soon as those numbers drop, out come the torches and pitchforks. &^@#ing disgusting.

A little over aggressive don't you think?  

This is a business we are talking about.  

When a piece of machinery goes down in the factory, you replace it.  

You may not like thinking about a person like that, but reality is, when it stops working, it's time for it to go.  

Thats not to say we have to $&!# on them and throw them out the door, they deserve way better than that for all they have done over the years, but it is getting very obvious they are beginning to out stay their welcome.   

If their defensive game game was still great, and they could back check and play a solid d game while putting up 30ish points, that would be great.  

But they aren't.  They are so slow they are becoming a liability. 

It is really sad to see, as they have given me some of the best hockey viewing experiences of my life.    

All this being said, their situation they are in is 100% the fault of old management who wasted years of draft picks with nothing to show for it.  

We should have their replacements developed and ready to go by now. 

Was at the SJ game we lost earlier this month. While it's relatively apparent on TV, in person you can see they are still our most consistent and dangerous line near every shift despite it not showing up on the score sheet as much as any of us (or they) would like this season. Those guys work HARD out their and still create something out of nothing more than they 'should'. 

Have they lost a step? Yup. Correspondingly with game getting ever faster as well. Hasn't helped that Hansen's barely played this year either as he counters a lot of their weaknesses. This Granlund experiment is promising though.

What we/they need is for young guys to push them down the roster to less PP time, less minutes overall, lower QOC etc. We're not there yet unfortunately and that's a failing of previous management having nothing but Bo in the pipeline. And recent injuries to Sven and Bo sure aren't going to help.

49 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

A little over aggressive don't you think?  

This is a business we are talking about.  

When a piece of machinery goes down in the factory, you replace it.  

You may not like thinking about a person like that, but reality is, when it stops working, it's time for it to go.  

Thats not to say we have to $&!# on them and throw them out the door, they deserve way better than that for all they have done over the years, but it is getting very obvious they are beginning to out stay their welcome.   

If their defensive game game was still great, and they could back check and play a solid d game while putting up 30ish points, that would be great.  

But they aren't.  They are so slow they are becoming a liability. 

It is really sad to see, as they have given me some of the best hockey viewing experiences of my life.    

All this being said, their situation they are in is 100% the fault of old management who wasted years of draft picks with nothing to show for it.  

We should have their replacements developed and ready to go by now. 

Well said drummerboy, not trying to crap on them but it is time to move on. Just like Edmonton moved on with McDavid as Captain and even Linden a few years ago its time to pass on the torch. Let the Sedins play 2/3rd line or whatever and turn the reigns over to Bo. I think they are just embarrassing themselves thinking they can play top minutes as the #1 line and the #1 PP. Yes they needed to be treated with respect but they also have to respect the team and do what is best for it. Now might be a good time to see if they would like to try for a Cup, if not, well then that speaks volumes also and thats another story.

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Was at the SJ game we lost earlier this month. While it's relatively apparent on TV, in person you can see they are still our most consistent and dangerous line near every shift despite it not showing up on the score sheet as much as any of us (or they) would like this season. Those guys work HARD out their and still create something out of nothing more than they 'should'. 

Have they lost a step? Yup. Correspondingly with game getting ever faster as well. Hasn't helped that Hansen's barely played this year either as he counters a lot of their weaknesses. This Granlund experiment is promising though.

What we/they need is for young guys to push them down the roster to less PP time, less minutes overall, lower QOC etc. We're not there yet unfortunately and that's a failing of previous management having nothing but Bo in the pipeline. And recent injuries to Sven and Bo sure aren't going to help.

Don't know if you haven't noticed who is leading the stats sheets or not, or how well Bo's line plays no matter who is on it, but, I think they have already been "pushed down the roster", no? I think some people need to take off their rose colored glasses.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Don't know if you haven't noticed who is leading the stats sheets or not, or how well Bo's line plays no matter who is on it, but, I think they have already been "pushed down the roster", no? I think some people need to take off their rose colored glasses.

It's in the process of happening, sure. Bo's slowly taking over...but he's also only one player.

Baer's doing well (when healthy) but hasn't surpassed them yet IMO and Bo can't make a line by himself. Burrows and Hansen while great vets, aren't exactly the 'future'.

Ideally we'd have Bo and at least one other, clear cut ELC player to forcibly shove them down the roster. We're not there yet and that's due to previous management not getting a top 6 player pre-Bo to play together. Another reason why I hope to see one of Tanev/Edler and one of Baer/Granlund traded for an upgrade at forward. We've filled our age gap but we still have a talent gap.

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's in the process of happening, sure. Bo's slowly taking over...but he's also only one player.

Baer's doing well (when healthy) but hasn't surpassed them yet IMO and Bo can't make a line by himself. Burrows and Hansen while great vets, aren't exactly the 'future'.

Ideally we'd have Bo and at least one other, clear cut ELC player to forcibly shove them down the roster. We're not there yet and that's due to previous management not getting a top 6 player pre-Bo to play together. Another reason why I hope to see one of Tanev/Edler and one of Baer/Granlund traded for an upgrade at forward. We've filled our age gap but we still have a talent gap.

Well I guess we have a difference in opinion of "We're not there yet" as far as Bo goes and the Sedins. Bo has surpassed the point totals of both Daniel and Henrik AND his line mates are not far behind them either. Imagine if Bo and his line mates had more PP time. Also Bo's plus/minus far exceeds Daniel and Hank so you can't even use that argument.

"But he's also only one player." Well the Sedins are only two players and as far as I know you need three players to make a line.

Unless you have information I am not aware of I am not sure how you have come to the conclusion of "were not there yet".

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Well I guess we have a difference in opinion of "We're not there yet" as far as Bo goes and the Sedins. Bo has surpassed the point totals of both Daniel and Henrik AND his line mates are not far behind them either. Imagine if Bo and his line mates had more PP time. Also Bo's plus/minus far exceeds Daniel and Hank so you can't even use that argument.

"But he's also only one player." Well the Sedins are only two players and as far as I know you need three players to make a line.

Unless you have information I am not aware of I am not sure how you have come to the conclusion of "were not there yet".

We don't have a first line that has surpassed them. We have a Horvat. It's not enough. At the very least, you need a pair to form the nucleus of a line.

Not sure how this is confusing or unclear.

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We don't have a first line that has surpassed them. We have a Horvat. It's not enough. At the very least, you need a pair to form the nucleus of a line.

Not sure how this is confusing or unclear.

You don't think Bo's line is outperforming the Sedin line? In the last 5 games Bo/Burrows/Hansen have a combined 13pts . Sedins and Eriksson have 7pts. I know they have Granlund trying out its about time they changed it up.

That's with the Sedins getting the bulk of the PP time as well.

Bo has exceeded everyone's expectations so far by a mile and its very easy to see he is capable of much more regardless of who is on his line. Sedins? Well they haven't quite found that person yet this year and the season is almost over. Maybe they will be better next year and find that right line mate.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

aaa.png

Ok lets break it down for you then. Henrik- 2 pts

Eriksson- 1pt

Daniel- 4pts

Granlund-4pts

Burrows-4pts

Hansen-3pts

Bo - 6pts

How's that? Which three are the top line? I see 1 that is not like the others. :lol:

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Ok lets break it down for you then. Henrik- 2 pts

Eriksson- 1pt

Daniel- 4pts

Granlund-4pts

Burrows-4pts

Hansen-3pts

Bo - 6pts

How's that? Which three are the top line? :lol:

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I like how you just erase them like they don't exist. Sorry to say JR but Bo 's line with Burrows and Hansen are outperforming the Sedins right NOW, right before your eyes. You can talk about the future all you want but most of us care what's happening now. When talking about vets I would much rather have Burrows and Hansen in the next couple of years then the Sedins. At least they can skate and check and kill penalties and give leadership to the young ones while producing points.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I like how you just erase them like they don't exist. Sorry to say JR but Bo 's line with Burrows and Hansen are outperforming the Sedins right NOW, right before your eyes. You can talk about the future all you want but most of us care what's happening now. When talking about vets I would much rather have Burrows and Hansen in the next couple of years then the Sedins. At least they can skate and check and kill penalties and give leadership to the young ones while producing points.

Clearly, therein lies your problem.

Anyone happy that 36 year old, pending UFA/retiree Burrows and 31 year old, potential trade bait/ED fodder Hansen will finish 2017 as 2/3 of our present '1st line' is clearly short sighted and myopic. Never mind the small sample sizes and ignoring context.

The ENTIRE point is who is to replace the Sedins long term as our 1st line. That requires talented, young players. I'm sorry but if you think that's either Burr or Hansen... you're beyond any help I can offer you.

We need to trade a D+forward for an upgrade at forward.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Clearly, therein lies your problem.

Anyone happy that 36 year old, pending UFA/retiree Burrows and 31 year old, potential trade bait/ED fodder Hansen will finish 2017 as 2/3 of our present '1st line' is clearly short sighted and myopic. Never mind the small sample sizes and ignoring context.

The ENTIRE point is who is to replace the Sedins long term as our 1st line. That requires talented, young players. I'm sorry but if you think that's either Burr or Hansen... you're beyond any help I can offer you.

We need to trade a D+forward for an upgrade at forward.

Really don't care who forms the rest of the top line with Bo I just don't want to see the Sedins anymore on the top line or on the top PP. They are not entertaining and they are not producing, period. They are paid good money to entertain us and I am not being entertained sorry maybe you still are I don't know. Bo on the other hand is definitely making his money.

So keep making up excuses for the Sedins because that's what people like you do I just want something new and different and want to see a good hard working team night in and night out. If you don't like it, sue me. :lol:

Just now, EdgarM said:

Really don't care who forms the rest of the top line with Bo I just don't want to see the Sedins anymore on the top line or on the top PP. They are not entertaining and they are not producing, period. They are paid good money to entertain us and I am not being entertained sorry maybe you still are I don't know. Bo on the other hand is definitely making his money.

So keep making up excuses for the Sedins because that's what people like you do I just want something new and different and want to see a good hard working team night in and night out. If you don't like it, sue me. :lol:

Who's making excuses? :lol:

I also like a hardworking team.

None of this changes that we don't yet have a replacement 1st line short of Horvat. That's not his fault and it's not the Sedin's fault.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who's making excuses? :lol:

None of this changes that we don't yet have a replacement 1st line short of Horvat. That's not his fault and it's not the Sedin's fault.

Wow really? The team is comprised of more then these 3 players. I guess you can't see them with those glasses on. :lol: Regardless of your opinion that there is no one to replace the Sedins because there is absolutely NO ONE you deem worthy enough to play on the top line with Bo, the fact still remains that the Sedins are playing awful right now and almost any forward on the team can do a better job defensively as well as offensively.

You get it yet?

Just now, EdgarM said:

Wow really? The team is comprised of more then these 3 players. I guess you can't see them with those glasses on. :lol: Regardless of your opinion that there is no one to replace the Sedins because there is absolutely NO ONE you deem worthy enough to play on the top line with Bo, the fact still remains that the Sedins are playing awful right now and almost any forward on the team can do a better job defensively as well as offensively.

You get it yet?

:picard:

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who's making excuses?

I think the twins still have more in them than they are showing.  I still believe they can be 60 point players in the league.  I think they need a kick in the butt to get going again, a wake up call.  Right now they are giving all the opportunity in the world without having any consequences if they don't perform.  We should be lighting a fire under them and letting them know if they don't produce they will be replaced. 

We did something similar with Burrows, a few seasons ago it looked like it was all but over for him, he got demoted and has worked his way back.  Lets do the same things with the twins, enough of giving them to royal treatment.  Split them up, demote them, it doesn't matter, send a message to them. 

Flames did that early in the year with Monahan dropping him to the forth line giving him less than 15 minutes for a stretch of 5 games,  Monahan responded with 27 points (14 goals) in 33 games,  They did the same thing with Johnny last night, dropping him to the fourth line. 

Sometimes players get set in the same routine that they start going through the motions instead of digging in to the game.  Sometimes what's needed is a jump start or a shock to rejuvenate the adrenaline in their game.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

:picard:

I agree we need to upgrade with a top six forward that is obvious but obviously you cannot see how bad the Sedins are playing right now. I have seen them on a few occasions lately where they are given the reigns at the end of a game and play most of their shift in OUR ZONE. Remember the game where we were on the PP and they gave up a short handed goal because they were too slow? Remember trying to play them 3 on 3? How that turned out?

Loved them when they could cycle the puck but those days are long gone my friend.

Archived