The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finland To Become First Country to Abolish All School Subjects

nucklehead

Finnish officials want to remove school subjects from the curriculum. There will no longer be any classes in physics, math, literature, history, or geography.

The head of the Department of Education in Helsinki, Marjo Kyllonen, explained the changes:

“There are schools that are teaching in the old-fashioned way which was of benefit in the beginning of the 1900s — but the needs are not the same, and we need something fit for the 21st century.“

Instead of individual subjects, students will study events and phenomena in an interdisciplinary format. For example, the Second World War will be examined from the perspective of history, geography, and math. And by taking the course ”Working in a Cafe," students will absorb a whole body of knowledge about the English language, economics, and communication skills.

This system will be introduced for senior students, beginning at the age of 16. The general idea is that the students ought to choose for themselves which topic or phenomenon they want to study, bearing in mind their ambitions for the future and their capabilities. In this way, no student will have to pass through an entire course on physics or chemistry while all the time thinking to themselves “What do I need to know this for?”

The traditional format of teacher-pupil communication is also going to change. Students will no longer sit behind school desks and wait anxiously to be called upon to answer a question. Instead, they will work together in small groups to discuss problems.

https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/finland-will-become-the-first-country-in-the-world-to-get-rid-of-all-school-subjects-259910/

25 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

There's a reason Finland is #1 in terms of education. Schools here in NA are harshly behind. I'm in high school and people just don't care about the classes they hold no interest in.

Ya, it's a cool idea, and makes sense.  I wonder how the schools fill out the classes?  

This is interesting, I'm really curious to see if this works.

Students will no longer sit behind school desks and wait anxiously to be called upon to answer a question. Instead, they will work together in small groups to discuss problems.

This seems like it could be potentially bad- are the students really going to work? Or just fool around?

Otherwise it could be a really good thing, just need to wait and see. The current system (at least here in BC) teaches very little with real world application, this could potentially remedy that.

Pretty tough for a Province like BC that funds public education much less than any other Canadian Province to impliment any changes to the old fashioned system here.

When a province like BC has so little respect for public education........ funds it so poorly......    we are pretty much stuck with the under education of our young people.

We will pay for it into the future with citizens that are unemployable in the new economy........

Very short sighted... Very BC Liberal Partyish......

If this subject is of real interest to you, recommend you check out the Ted Talks video by Sir Ken Robinson on how schools kill creativity.

In my humble opinion it is outstanding. Easily the most inspirational, enlightening and entertaining 20 minutes one can experience on this topic.

Seems like a modern idea. I don't know how this'll work, but Finland have made crazy adjustments to education and they've paid off before, so let's see where this goes.

Finland is the standard all others should be judged by. Their education system is phenomenal. We're slowly adapting ideas like these but we're still woefully behind in comparison and still far too stuck in 20th century education models.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Finland is the standard all others should be judged by. Their education system is phenomenal. We're slowly adapting ideas like these but we're still woefully behind in comparison and still far too stuck in 20th century education models.

Hard to be an education leader when you live in a province ( BC ) that does not value quality public education.  We are the wild west out here in BC and when a government chooses to not fund public education..... it makes a statement. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hard to be an education leader when you live in a province ( BC ) that does not value quality public education.  We are the wild west out here in BC and when a government chooses to not fund public education..... it makes a statement. 

No matter the discussion you make about the B.C liberals. I feel sorry for you if they win again.

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty tough for a Province like BC that funds public education much less than any other Canadian Province to impliment any changes to the old fashioned system here.

When a province like BC has so little respect for public education........ funds it so poorly......    we are pretty much stuck with the under education of our young people.

We will pay for it into the future with citizens that are unemployable in the new economy........

Very short sighted... Very BC Liberal Partyish......

I agree it could be better but apparently B.C is near the top, in Canada anyway.

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/provincial/education.aspx

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No matter the discussion you make about the B.C liberals. I feel sorry for you if they win again.

I feel sorry for me   ( not  if  but when )  the BC Liberals win again..

Sucks to live in a  mean spirited province that is anti public education /  does not take care of its special needs kids and mentally ill......

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree it could be better but apparently B.C is near the top, in Canada anyway.

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/provincial/education.aspx

Not across BC ........  only in certain areas...

You do realize that many kids are excluded from testing right ?

Archived