The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finland To Become First Country to Abolish All School Subjects

nucklehead

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

This is literally how I shut libtards up, asking to see the facts and then asking who should pay for it, yet you say this is how to undermine Trump. Interesting. 

Making conclusions in the absence of facts, or in the absence of evidence, is not something confined to only the left or only the right. I think we need to spend more time trying to find the right answer and less time making it a debate of extreme left versus extreme right-wing politics.

... and I didn't say this to undermine Trump. I said what I said because the poster I quoted is clearly anti-Trump (nothing wrong with that), and showing the similarities between their own logic and Trump's might help dissuade them from taking that approach in the future.

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Making conclusions in the absence of facts, or in the absence of evidence, is not something confined to only the left or only the right. I think we need to spend more time trying to find the right answer and less time making it a debate of extreme left versus extreme right-wing politics.

... and I didn't say this to undermine Trump. I said what I said because the poster I quoted is clearly anti-Trump (nothing wrong with that), and showing the similarities between their own logic and Trump's might help dissuade them from taking that approach in the future.

Nothing wrong with that. 

I don't mind how the education is implemented,  as long as it's EDUCATION and not indoctrination. 

Forgive me for being cynical,  but has it occurred to anyone that the format is being altered in order to replace fact-based instructional systems with agenda driven cultural marxism? The problem with a subject like Mathematics is it has no narrative on the Patriarchy or internalized bias. Therefore it would be ideal to eliminate it completely. Shakespeare was a white male, so goodbye English class.

If the purpose of this program is to crank out more future sociology and "insert oppressed group here" studies students rather than teach children how to think with a critical mind, then I am sorry to say that it is regressive.

I would like to see a curriculum before making a judgement, but considering the political climate of a nation like Finland, I am not optimistic.

1 hour ago, Mustapha said:

I don't mind how the education is implemented,  as long as it's EDUCATION and not indoctrination. 

Forgive me for being cynical,  but has it occurred to anyone that the format is being altered in order to replace fact-based instructional systems with agenda driven cultural marxism? The problem with a subject like Mathematics is it has no narrative on the Patriarchy or internalized bias. Therefore it would be ideal to eliminate it completely. Shakespeare was a white male, so goodbye English class.

If the purpose of this program is to crank out more future sociology and "insert oppressed group here" studies students rather than teach children how to think with a critical mind, then I am sorry to say that it is regressive.

I would like to see a curriculum before making a judgement, but considering the political climate of a nation like Finland, I am not optimistic.

I don't think the country well known for having a terrific education system has suddenly done a 180 in the name of radical feminism. 

Finland is home to some of the world’s most forward-looking innovations in education school autonomy instead of school rankings, portfolios instead of exam grades, inquiry-based learning instead of memorization, and real world context topics instead of traditional subjects. This turns out to be remarkable ... :rolleyes:

Maybe instead of bashing Finland, for some weird political agenda look at the results they've had. They are constantly in the tops in math and science, they have essentially 1/2 school days. 2% or less dropout rate. 3 teachers per class. (One teacher just works with the students who struggle). No homework. Now how this works when the kids transition to high school and university I would find interesting. Best of all they have some of the most efficient school systems (i.e. bang for the buck, or cheap). Yet the teachers feel valued, and the students happiness is a priority. 

Sounds to me this is what happens when everyone works together to make a system work, instead of trying to find ways to exploit the system to make money. 

6 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Interesting move by the Finns to improve upon an already world leading education system.  

Quality organizations aways assess their practise... reflect on it... and modify/adjust it for even  better results.

Unlike in BC where public education is the lowest funded of anywhere in Canada and practise is the same as it was in 1940.  

I have very little hope that BC can make any changes as the province of BC has shown itself to be unsupportive of public education .  

BC liberals use public education  ( under funding it  / BCTF  issues  )  as a wedge issue to get themselves re-elected.  Basically under educate the youth of BC as a way to get themselves re-elected and back on the MLA feed trough.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Quality organizations aways assess their practise... reflect on it... and modify/adjust it for even  better results.

Unlike in BC where public education is the lowest funded of anywhere in Canada and practise is the same as it was in 1940.  

I have very little hope that BC can make any changes as the province of BC has shown itself to be unsupportive of public education .  

BC liberals use public education  ( under funding it  / BCTF  issues  )  as a wedge issue to get themselves re-elected.  Basically under educate the youth of BC as a way to get themselves re-elected and back on the MLA feed trough.

The dumbing down of society is a way of creating an uninformed disinterested  electorate  easy to manipulate.  Probably has been a deliberate move by certain nations but in Canada especially on a provincial level I have to question.  However in this world anything is possible.  Give it 3 more generations and the demographics of the ruling class and I might be able to answer that.  Damn our expiry dates will be far surpassed.  That is if Trump doesn't upset the apple cart.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

The dumbing down of society is a way of creating an uninformed disinterested  electorate  easy to manipulate.  Probably has been a deliberate move by certain nations but in Canada especially on a provincial level I have to question.  However in this world anything is possible.  Give it 3 more generations and the demographics of the ruling class and I might be able to answer that.  Damn our expiry dates will be far surpassed.  That is if Trump doesn't upset the apple cart.

I think alot of it is to create an under educated working class that will work for lower wages ( below poverty line ) wages.

This will be great for large corporations in BC which fully support the BC liberal party....  

Cheap local BC labour.

You have seen in before with the attempts to break down the unions and reduce required trades certifications .  Basically creating a class of deskilled low paying trades jobs...

Very scarey what we have watched happen to BC under the Liberals......

The Campbell government is dismantling British Columbia’s well-established system of industry training. A year ago, the government announced an end to the Industry Training and Apprenticeship Commission (ITAC) — a four-cornered partnership of business, labour, government and education with a mandate to oversee and enhance apprenticeship and trades training.

Trades Will Be “De-Skilled”

Under the new framework, the government proposes to deconstruct existing trades and technical training in the name of flexibility. In place of recognized and comprehensive credentials that have been hallmarks of apprenticeship training, the government proposes that skills be recognized by “incremental” or “specialized credentials,” that demonstrate a partial completion of the skills needed for a trade.

https://www.cautbulletin.ca/en_article.asp?ArticleID=503

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think alot of it is to create an under educated working class that will work for lower wages ( below poverty line ) wages.

This will be great for large corporations in BC which fully support the BC liberal party....  

Cheap local BC labour.

You have seen in before with the attempts to break down the unions and reduce required trades certifications .  Basically creating a class of deskilled low paying trades jobs...

You betcha it is.  BC used to be a very strong union minded province but I'm going back to the era when Mac&Blo were king.  But along came softwood tariffs and Weyerhauser.   No different here in Alberta which has never been union friendly... agriculture and oil are the big two. Neither unionized.  Major players in Ft Mac always try to cut labour costs by TFW's and non-unionized labour.  You know the aim is not to bring the so called 3rd world nations up to our level but to reduce us to theirs.   Isn't globalization wonderful.

Seems like the same issues in the UK as in BC.

Governments consistently trash public education....

Here in BC there are basically no teachers on call now and schools are just lumping in multiple classes to libraries with admin babysitting the kids all day... Sounds like a great education for our kids......

In England

The government is failing to take adequate measures to tackle "significant teacher shortages" in England, a committee of MPs has said.

The Education Select Committee has called for a long-term plan, as schools struggle to recruit enough teachers and pupil numbers continue to rise.

MPs want more active efforts to reduce the numbers quitting teaching.

The report from the cross-party committee, though, says recruitment targets for teaching had been consistently missed and the teacher shortage is getting worse.

It warns that this causes particular problems in some shortage subjects in secondary school, including physics, maths and computing.

But the MPs say that there is no clear long-term plan to address this - and they suggest there should be greater efforts to keep teachers from leaving the profession and moving to other jobs.

Figures last year showed that almost a third of new teachers who had started jobs in English state schools in 2010 had left within five years.

The MPs want measures to tackle problems that make people leave teaching - such as an "unmanageable workload" or a lack of professional development.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education

Archived