The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

We actually hung in there for a long time, first period was a write-off, second period we got a bit slaughtered but still a 1-0 game and I believe the quality chances were even, then we finally collapsed in the third period.

1) Sedins were hopeless tonight. Matched up against the Penguins top two lines, they had no chance. Absolutely nothing offensively, which is fine, but defensively they were the cause for this loss with some really sloppy back checking and defence on the forwards. Now we see how important Sutter and Horvat are to this team. IMO the Sedins are 3rd liners right now. It's a shame but it's a natural regression, people just have to come to terms with it. We can't expect them to score anymore but they should at least play better defensively and focus more on that now that they are tertiary players.

2) Granlund's energy and skill was sucked out  by playing with the twins, and Eriksson was absolutely invisible tonight. Need more from these guys, especially Eriksson who was alright defensively but didn't win many puck battles, no good passes, shots or chances. Terrible game by him. 

3) Burrows had a hell of a game, the only one with jump and spirit, and he's trying his best to carry this team when he physically can't. Hansen had a pretty sloppy game too, some really bad missed chances, whiff on a two-on-one, bad passes but at least he was skating well and generating chances as well as back checking. Then were was Gaunce.

Brendan Gaunce had his best game as a Canuck IMO. Expected to replace our team's MVP and essentially 1st line center, his skill really shone tonight with decent linemates. In the scheme of things, Hansen and Burrows are 3rd-4th liners on most teams (eg. the Penguins) but still, Gaunce had some great chances and played a hell of a game. Won some big faceoffs, shut down Crosby and Malkin when he was on the ice, made some really smart passes and board plays and generated a lot of good plays with cycles. This kid just needed an opportunity (or a kick in the pants) to get going and I think he'll find his offensive touch if he keeps playing this way.

I've always wanted to see what he could do with the Sedins (big body, young, good back-checker, exactly what the twins need) but while we're low on centers we should get this kid a trigger man. Pair him with one of Hansen or Burrows (gritty powerforward) then give him a sniper (Eriksson or Granlund) and there you have it - perfect chemistry line.

3) Megna had some nice flashes but really average game for him, nothing fantastic. Skille was buzzing all over the ice and of course could have had a hat-trick tonight but just doesn't have the finish understandably for a PTO signee. I thought Boucher looked good and definitely needs more of an opportunity, he nearly scored the opening goal, skates well, passes well and gets shots off. We really need to work on this guy because I think he could score some goals, he's got an offensive flair, we just need to use it more. Biega hit well but can't stick handle to save his life.

4) Edler had a monster game to start, was the best player on the ice IMO in the first 40 minutes. He got a bit caught out because of lack of defence from the forwards (mainly the Sedins) but had some strong passes, plays and defensively shut down the best scorers in the world by himself. Then the forwards got lazy back checking and Edler was left flat footed trying to defend 2-3 players. No chance for him.

Stecher had a great game, really skating well and considering the lack of speed from the Sedins and most of our forwards, him skating up in the rush really helps. Still, you can see him panic defensively at times when we get overrun and just slap the puck to the side, hopefully that aspect of his game calms down and he can have a bit more Letang-like composure when caught out defensively and hopefully that'll come with experience (I think it will).

5) Sbisa started the game looking pretty good but was embarassed by Malkin a couple of times. That's a tough matchup - their 2nd best center against our 2nd defensive pairing and it was a white-wash. Malkin scoring the first goal was pretty easy against Sbisa, there were a couple other Sbisa mistakes and then that Malkin 2-on-1 was just salt in the wound. Simply out-classed. I think Edler-Stecher held their ground nicely against Crosby but Sbisa-Tanev were embarassed tonight. Tanev had a pretty good game actually but as a pairing, destroyed.

6) Hutton looked great out there tonight, didn't have any defensive mistakes but wasn't really facing Malkin or Crosby, and while Tryamkin did have some defensive errors and was caught out at times, I think he handled himself pretty well.

7) Miller obviously fantastic tonight, none of the goals could be faulted by him, all bad defensive plays mainly by forwards.

TL;DR - The Sedins poor defence cost us the game. Sedins, Eriksson, Granlund, Sbisa all had pretty rubbish games. Gaunce was brilliant, Burrows tried his best, Chaput and Skille rose to the occasion but we're half a team of AHLers right now so you can't expect much.

5 minutes ago, Davathor said:

OR we could trade picks/prospects for Iginla and Jagr

sedin Sedin Jagr

Iginla Horvat Eriksson 

??

cup

Cup for sure if it were 2011, even with 16 year old Bo Horvat as the second line center. Or maybe not. Actually, for sure no.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We actually hung in there for a long time, first period was a write-off, second period we got a bit slaughtered but still a 1-0 game and I believe the quality chances were even, then we finally collapsed in the third period.

1) Sedins were hopeless tonight. Matched up against the Penguins top two lines, they had no chance. Absolutely nothing offensively, which is fine, but defensively they were the cause for this loss with some really sloppy back checking and defence on the forwards. Now we see how important Sutter and Horvat are to this team. IMO the Sedins are 3rd liners right now. It's a shame but it's a natural regression, people just have to come to terms with it. We can't expect them to score anymore but they should at least play better defensively and focus more on that now that they are tertiary players.

2) Granlund's energy and skill was sucked out  by playing with the twins, and Eriksson was absolutely invisible tonight. Need more from these guys, especially Eriksson who was alright defensively but didn't win many puck battles, no good passes, shots or chances. Terrible game by him. 

3) Burrows had a hell of a game, the only one with jump and spirit, and he's trying his best to carry this team when he physically can't. Hansen had a pretty sloppy game too, some really bad missed chances, whiff on a two-on-one, bad passes but at least he was skating well and generating chances as well as back checking. Then were was Gaunce.

Brendan Gaunce had his best game as a Canuck IMO. Expected to replace our team's MVP and essentially 1st line center, his skill really shone tonight with decent linemates. In the scheme of things, Hansen and Burrows are 3rd-4th liners on most teams (eg. the Penguins) but still, Gaunce had some great chances and played a hell of a game. Won some big faceoffs, shut down Crosby and Malkin when he was on the ice, made some really smart passes and board plays and generated a lot of good plays with cycles. This kid just needed an opportunity (or a kick in the pants) to get going and I think he'll find his offensive touch if he keeps playing this way.

I've always wanted to see what he could do with the Sedins (big body, young, good back-checker, exactly what the twins need) but while we're low on centers we should get this kid a trigger man. Pair him with one of Hansen or Burrows (gritty powerforward) then give him a sniper (Eriksson or Granlund) and there you have it - perfect chemistry line.

3) Megna had some nice flashes but really average game for him, nothing fantastic. Skille was buzzing all over the ice and of course could have had a hat-trick tonight but just doesn't have the finish understandably for a PTO signee. I thought Boucher looked good and definitely needs more of an opportunity, he nearly scored the opening goal, skates well, passes well and gets shots off. We really need to work on this guy because I think he could score some goals, he's got an offensive flair, we just need to use it more. Biega hit well but can't stick handle to save his life.

4) Edler had a monster game to start, was the best player on the ice IMO in the first 40 minutes. He got a bit caught out because of lack of defence from the forwards (mainly the Sedins) but had some strong passes, plays and defensively shut down the best scorers in the world by himself. Then the forwards got lazy back checking and Edler was left flat footed trying to defend 2-3 players. No chance for him.

Stecher had a great game, really skating well and considering the lack of speed from the Sedins and most of our forwards, him skating up in the rush really helps. Still, you can see him panic defensively at times when we get overrun and just slap the puck to the side, hopefully that aspect of his game calms down and he can have a bit more Letang-like composure when caught out defensively and hopefully that'll come with experience (I think it will).

5) Sbisa started the game looking pretty good but was embarassed by Malkin a couple of times. That's a tough matchup - their 2nd best center against our 2nd defensive pairing and it was a white-wash. Malkin scoring the first goal was pretty easy against Sbisa, there were a couple other Sbisa mistakes and then that Malkin 2-on-1 was just salt in the wound. Simply out-classed. I think Edler-Stecher held their ground nicely against Crosby but Sbisa-Tanev were embarassed tonight. Tanev had a pretty good game actually but as a pairing, destroyed.

6) Hutton looked great out there tonight, didn't have any defensive mistakes but wasn't really facing Malkin or Crosby, and while Tryamkin did have some defensive errors and was caught out at times, I think he handled himself pretty well.

7) Miller obviously fantastic tonight, none of the goals could be faulted by him, all bad defensive plays mainly by forwards.

TL;DR - The Sedins poor defence cost us the game. Sedins, Eriksson, Granlund, Sbisa all had pretty rubbish games. Gaunce was brilliant, Burrows tried his best, Chaput and Skille rose to the occasion but we're half a team of AHLers right now so you can't expect much.

Very good and accurate assessment of the game.  Thanks.

Just now, AbrasiveAjax said:

Hey, i missed the game completely

So Bo and Sutter did not play, but Gaunce with 16 minutes?

Did i not see Biega on the bench? what defenceman  got scratched

Thanks in advance

Biega played at F on the 4th line.  Larsen was scratched.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am going to start counting how many goals the Sedin line coughs up in the last 2 minutes of a game. I think its like 3 or 4 now. AND......that 10 minute cycle by the Penguins was grueling to watch. WHERES BO!!!!!! ::D

That Fake 1st line of ours will win the green jacket collectively this season.

Just now, AbrasiveAjax said:

Hey, i missed the game completely

So Bo and Sutter did not play, but Gaunce with 16 minutes?

Did i not see Biega on the bench? what defenceman  got scratched

Thanks in advance

Biega played forward.

How could anyone expect anything different? The defending Stanley Cup Champions, who just got Malkin back, vs the CANUCKS. You know, the version without Baer, Bo, and Sutter. Add that Gaunce, Megna, Sedin are your top 3 pivots and we didn't stand much of a chance.

On to the next one!

15 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

It was nice to see the Sedin's step up in the absence of our first line center...

So now that they're 36 and not winning trophies it's ok to pile on?

I get that you're trying to be funny but they've given everything they have to the team and over $2M that we know about to charity. 

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Great summary as usual, thanks

4 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

So now that they're 36 and not winning trophies it's ok to pile on?

I get that you're trying to be funny but they've given everything they have to the team and over $2M that we know about to charity. 

It's a fickle fan base.  What have you done for me lately. Fan base for the most part have no clue. 

I can understand the Canucks being outgunned, but there's no excuse for being shutout.

This is a banged up Penguins team that lost to the likes of Calgary and Arizona, the Canucks could try to compete just a wee bit. You know, make it 4-1, is that too much to ask?

This club is destined to suck sh*t for years to come. Daniel and Henrik are such non-factors right now, by the time their contracts are up they won't even be able to skate anymore, they will look like Gretzky did at the Alumni game...terrible. There's no fight left in them, they were different players after 2011, their hunger hasn't been there for six seasons now. No pride on this club, just a bunch of country club mercenaries.

I could only imagine being a fan paying to watch that crap. I noticed Matt Cullen scored a goal, he's several years older than the Sedin twins, but unlike them, he doesn't play with the energy of a 50-year old. 

Archived