The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Reminded me of this scene from Trading Places. ;)

Not bad, I would say being tied up and placed inside a female gorilla costume (previously worn by the untalented Belushi brother) and then being locked up in a cage with a real and 400 pound male gorilla that clearly wants to have it's way with you kind of poetically sums up the current state of the Canucks 

Just now, Creepy Crawler said:

First period looked like it could go either way and same for early in second period then the Canucks looked like they gave up or the Pens found their rhythm.  Terrible end result anyways, but Miller kept it in since it could've been worse.

Goaltending has been great this season. It's so frustrating because goaltending can carry a team a long way, as long as they aren't a complete disaster in front of him.

You can tell Miller is in a contract year and wants some more $$$. He will get a decent payout too, his numbers are great considering the team he plays for.

1 hour ago, b3. said:

Miller played really well.

We could have really used the Sedins and Eriksson tonight.

The twins were dominated all night by Crosby's line and I mean "dominated"!! Even on the PP, all they got out of their 1:25 of ice time per PP was a face full of glass.  Hard to score with your back to the play/net all the time.

It really shows how crucial Bo and Sutter are to this team.  I think the team would honestly do better if the twins were injured than it does with Bo and Sutter out.  Aside from no offensive contributions, the twins were -2 and their defensive effort (which starts in the o-zone) is not NHL caliber. 

Time to sell come TDL.

1 minute ago, Mustapha said:

Goaltending has been great this season. It's so frustrating because goaltending can carry a team a long way, as long as they aren't a complete disaster in front of him.

You can tell Miller is in a contract year and wants some more $$$. He will get a decent payout too, his numbers are great considering the team he plays for.

To be fair

hes been good for us since day one really and exceptional this year.  The guy is a true character.  For sure a leader in the room.

41 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I can understand the Canucks being outgunned, but there's no excuse for being shutout.

This is a banged up Penguins team that lost to the likes of Calgary and Arizona, the Canucks could try to compete just a wee bit. You know, make it 4-1, is that too much to ask?

This club is destined to suck sh*t for years to come. Daniel and Henrik are such non-factors right now, by the time their contracts are up they won't even be able to skate anymore, they will look like Gretzky did at the Alumni game...terrible. There's no fight left in them, they were different players after 2011, their hunger hasn't been there for six seasons now. No pride on this club, just a bunch of country club mercenaries.

I could only imagine being a fan paying to watch that crap. I noticed Matt Cullen scored a goal, he's several years older than the Sedin twins, but unlike them, he doesn't play with the energy of a 50-year old. 

Sadly, the twins have more fight in them then the $36 million FA we signed for 6 years. 

That concerns me way more.

16 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

They haven't won any trophies in a long long time.

Nobody is arguing that they are upstanding guys off the ice...but they are paid to produce on the ice.

It's not just them though, its the coaching staff and management that allow this atmosphere of mediocrity to continue.

Loui Eriksson looks like he's on vacation most nights, I thought he was supposed to be some offensive force. Pure garbage with an anchor for a contract.

Age is no excuse. Thornton and Marleau are as dynamic as ever despite not being the big guns anymore, and Brent Burns is only 5 years younger than the Sedins and he is over a point per game as a defenseman, currently in contention for the Art Ross. ( The first since Bobby Orr)

Let's face facts: The Sedins are nice guys, I am sure they love the city, their fans and whatnot, but they don't have the drive to win a championship. They will go as far as their skill takes them, and when things get tough down the stretch, they will fold like a cheap tent. Sacrifice for the pride of the team, these things are not part of their repertoire. 'Killer instinct' and 'Sedin' aren't things you associate together.

I'd agree with most of this. I think they were viking warriors of the past but their compete is gone now. It's possible to respect what they did without closing our eyes to the current play

Look at Gretzky, he retired because he could only put up 80 points a season and felt he was dragging others down. A legacy can only carry you so far. Results matter more and they are not happening. It's a team game but your best players need to step up or get out of the way.  

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

Sadly, the twins have more fight in them then the $36 million FA we signed for 6 years. 

That concerns me way more.

Let's face it, none of our Swedes are earning their pay cheques...Sedins at $7M each, Eriksson $6M and Edler $5M...$25M for what? 

Cool I got a SO in my fantasy league.. I'm jumping aboard team tank now..

Trade Hansen for a 1st (Pit/Nyr/...)

Burrows for a 2nd (Mtl/Nyr)

Edler for Bowey or a lottery pick 

Miller to kings with 50% retained for a 1st. Resign in the Offseason. 

I wish...

Just now, TimberWolf said:

I'd agree with most of this. I think they were viking warriors of the past but their compete is gone now. It's possible to respect what they did without closing our eyes to the current play

Look at Gretzky, he retired because he could only put up 80 points a season and felt he was dragging others down. A legacy can only carry you so far. Results matter more and they are not happening. It's a team game but your best players need to step up or get out of the way.  

I really believe 2011 crushed them. They experienced how hard it is to get to the end and came up short. They only had gas in the tank for one run.

Losing a Game 7 in the SCF can be worse than missing the playoffs in a lot of ways. All the agony, but none of the glory.

4 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I really believe 2011 crushed them. They experienced how hard it is to get to the end and came up short. They only had gas in the tank for one run.

Losing a Game 7 in the SCF can be worse than missing the playoffs in a lot of ways. All the agony, but none of the glory.

The problem is that they came up short in that series as well. The leaders(Lu, Hank and Dan) did not perform their best in those 7 games and that is one of the main reasons we lost, among other things.

37 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

This will all be forgotten when sipping on Gin n Juice and cranking up the BBQ for the draft lottery party.  Hopefully the sun will be shining, Larsen will be in Europe working as a DJ at the disco,  and the shames of Calgary will have missed the playoffs by 2 points.

Then we can switch to straight Gin when we drop 2 slots

I commented the other day that the Sedins will probably play 3-5 more years. I'm having second thoughts. I'm thinking more like 2-3 as 2nd-3rd liners. Next season it's Bo's team and he's the 1C. The Sedins were pretty ineffective tonight, they can't carry a team like they once could. Canucks need to sign Horvat long term. Sell the vets at the TDL and embrace the rebuild.

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Doesn't anyone get peed off when they lose anymore? Does anyone take any responsibility for the loss?He's just as bad as the Sedins, "we tried our best and we will get them next time" crap. The other team played "real good" tonight blah blah blah.

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They'll make some moves. 

Hopefully more than just bowel movements.

This team is not able to consistently compete and it is only the youth that are keeping them competitive.  The aging vets, most nights are a drag on the team's speed and effectiveness.  Tonight, the top line looked like they were call-ups from the London Knights.

TIme to make big moves.

57 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

I can understand the Canucks being outgunned, but there's no excuse for being shutout.

This is a banged up Penguins team that lost to the likes of Calgary and Arizona, the Canucks could try to compete just a wee bit. You know, make it 4-1, is that too much to ask?

This club is destined to suck sh*t for years to come. Daniel and Henrik are such non-factors right now, by the time their contracts are up they won't even be able to skate anymore, they will look like Gretzky did at the Alumni game...terrible. There's no fight left in them, they were different players after 2011, their hunger hasn't been there for six seasons now. No pride on this club, just a bunch of country club mercenaries.

I could only imagine being a fan paying to watch that crap. I noticed Matt Cullen scored a goal, he's several years older than the Sedin twins, but unlike them, he doesn't play with the energy of a 50-year old. 

We all thought you were a fan, paying to watch your team

19 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Doesn't he prefer to stay on the West Coast  (or at least be within the same time zone as LA?)?

Archived