The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gustav Nyquist suspended 6 games

For reference, the argument was that he was angrily trying to bring his stick around in order to cross check back. That's a smart thing to argue in my opinion. No one is going to believe that you didn't mean to hurt him. So you argue that you were just trying retaliate in kind after being crosschecked, and accidentally jabbed him on the way by. 

First time offender, plausibly an accident, some humility, no injury on the play. 6 is in line with what I figured.  

Still a disgusting play. But I didn't expect 10. 

9 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

For reference, the argument was that he was angrily trying to bring his stick around in order to cross check back. That's a smart thing to argue in my opinion. No one is going to believe that you didn't mean to hurt him. So you argue that you were just trying retaliate in kind after being crosschecked, and accidentally jabbed him on the way by. 

First time offender, plausibly an accident, some humility, no injury on the play. 6 is in line with what I figured.  

Still a disgusting play. But I didn't expect 10. 

You have a pretty liberal view of the term plausible.

I don't see humility in Nyqvist since I believe he completely lied about his intent. You aren't showing much humility or remorse when you don't take responsibility for what you've done.

17 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Kassian gets 8 for careless use of his stick.

Nyquist gets 6 for intentional spear to the face.

Another job well done by the Dops..

Gave up trying to make sense out of the DOPS decisions long ago.  Having said that, this one is remarkable in its leniency.  It was more intentional than Kassian's infraction, the difference being Spurgeon wasn't seriously injured.  The NHL continues to punish outcomes more severely than the act itself.  I guess SPurgeon had to have his eye removed by Nyquist to for it to amount to 10 games.

The DOPS has nothing to do with safety.  It's a legal smoke screen for the league and a political football for the players.

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You have a pretty liberal view of the term plausible.

I don't see humility in Nyqvist since I believe he completely lied about his intent. You aren't showing much humility or remorse when you don't take responsibility for what you've done.

Oh yeah. I don't think there is actual humility, and it very much wasn't an accident. Just factoring them in for the DoPS calculations. 

It might be better stated as: First time offender, a workable excuse, a bit of fake humility, and no injury on the play. 

Not saying he didn't deserve 10. Just that I didn't expect it. 

12 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Gave up trying to make sense out of the DOPS decisions long ago.  Having said that, this one is remarkable in its leniency.  It was more intentional than Kassian's infraction but, the difference being Spurgeon wasn't seriously injured.  The NLHJ continues to punish outcomes more severely than the act itself.  I guess SPurgeon had to have his eye removed by Nyquist to for it to amount to 10 games.

The DOPS has nothing to do with safety.  It's a legal smoke screen for the league and a political football for the players.

Agreed. As soon as I heard the NHL Network guys saying 8 games minimum on the Sirius station I knew he would get off lighter. The only thing consistent with DOPS decisions is inconsistency

They literally need to appoint a board/Committee that have little or no connection to hockey to get some unbiased decisions.

Gustav is a nice guy and a classy player i dont mind that it wasnt 10 games. He made a stupid mistake, it happens.

BUT when Marchand does something over and over and over and doesnt get suspended then it gets confusing because its clearly not a one time brain lapse

Archived