The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins credited with giving Justin Dowling his chance

Salmonberries

Hometown boy, Justin Dowling playing with the American Hockey League’s Texas Stars in Austin, TX got the call any young player dreams of. One day after practice, his coached pulled him aside and told him he’d been called up to play with the Dallas Stars. Back home in Cochrane, friends and family watched with pride as Justin logged his first NHL assist against the Winnipeg Jets.

I couldn't embed the video, but here's the link:

http://www.hometownhockey.com/news/the-wave-of-the-future-justin-dowling/

Willie was an amazing coach in the AHL and at the time seemed like the best candidate. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out perfectly and that's the case with Willie.

However let's look at 3 coaches we recently let go:

Alain Vigneault

John Tortorella

Mike Sullivan

All 3 of those guys have had lots of success since leaving. Now I'm not saying it's our players but it really makes you think.

I think a lot of people want WD fired but his role in helping our younger players, particularly Horvat, will go a long way when it's all said and done.  I think he's one of our better coaches in franchise history and hope he gets another gig in the NHL with a more talented roster to show everyone here that he knows what he is doing.  He's probably fired at the end of the year and if that is a case he's a scapegoat for management's inability to ice a rebuilt team or a competitive lineup.

11 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Willie was an amazing coach in the AHL and at the time seemed like the best candidate. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out perfectly and that's the case with Willie.

Alain Vigneault

John Tortorella

Mike Sullivan

All 3 of those guys have had lots of success since leaving. Now I'm not saying it's our players but it really makes you think.

I agree. Our lineup had become (to quote Torts) "Stale". Now you're watching a retool on the fly. Not many teams have completed that task, but San Jose is one of them.  The infusion of youth into the lineup has caused some hiccoughs, but overall I think the team has overperformed (minus the Sedins). Not sure what you could expect from this roster added the rash of injuries they've had to cope with.

My question is would Willie be interested in going to the press box and continue to work with the club in a development role?

Just now, Fantomex said:

I agree. Our lineup had become (to quote Torts) "Stale". Now you're watching a retool on the fly. Not many teams have completed that task, but San Jose is one of them.  The infusion of youth into the lineup has caused some hiccoughs, but overall I think the team has overperformed (minus the Sedins). Not sure what you could expect from this roster added the rash of injuries they've had to cope with.

My question is would Willie be interested in going to the press box and continue to work with the club in a development role?

Yeah re-tooling on the fly isn't easy to do which make me wonder how San Jose and Ottawa can do it so well time and time again. It's a hard position for Linden though because you owe it to the Sedins to do everything possible to show them we still want to compete for them but at the same time you know you need to move on. I am 100% for keeping Willie because I don't think he's the problem. Maybe even assistant coach would be good if he'd be willing.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

Yeah re-tooling on the fly isn't easy to do which make me wonder how San Jose and Ottawa can do it so well time and time again. It's a hard position for Linden though because you owe it to the Sedins to do everything possible to show them we still want to compete for them but at the same time you know you need to move on. I am 100% for keeping Willie because I don't think he's the problem. Maybe even assistant coach would be good if he'd be willing.

They draft and develop well over the last decade and the Canucks had not previously.

But now they are.

So we will be fine.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

Good drafting.

Our drafting (as noted many times on the forum) has been abysmal for years. It's good to see that Jim has possibly found some players in the mid rounds that could contribute in the coming years, but there is such a gap in the pool that the Sedins are being strung along. The parity in the league is so close that the margin for error is minuscule. We're another year or two away from truly being competitive with our new core, and the Sedins only continue to get older and slower.

Just now, Fantomex said:

Good drafting.

Our drafting (as noted many times on the forum) has been abysmal for years. It's good to see that Jim has possibly found some players in the mid rounds that could contribute in the coming years, but there is such a gap in the pool that the Sedins are being strung along. The parity in the league is so close that the margin for error is minuscule. We're another year or two away from truly being competitive with our new core, and the Sedins only continue to get older and slower.

Yeah this is true and I'm more optimistic about our prospects. As long as we're at least playing fun hockey and competing for a playoff spot I'm content. 

25 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Alain Vigneault

John Tortorella

Mike Sullivan

Anyone who blames WD for our season is in Complete denial of how hard we lack scoring talent. Our healthy lineup can hardly score. The guy has been dealing with a $6M underperforming waste of skin, decimated by injuries, no power play QB. Small top 6 and the pressure of a clueless media and fan base. For us to even have a sniff of the playoffs is nothing short of remarkable. It was easy for AV and to an extent even torts to have a young Sedin line a Selke winning 2c and a Generational goaltender. WD has Horvat, who I might add was molded by WD's tutelage. Firing WD would be a far bigger step back in the transitional phase than sitting back on any trade deadline. 

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Anyone who blames WD for our season is in Complete denial of how hard we lack scoring talent. Our healthy lineup can hardly score. The guy has been dealing with a $6M underperforming waste of skin, decimated by injuries, no power play QB. Small top 6 and the pressure of a clueless media and fan base. For us to even have a sniff of the playoffs is nothing short of remarkable. It was easy for AV and to an extent even torts to have a young Sedin line a Selke winning 2c and a Generational goaltender. WD has Horvat, who I might add was molded by WD's tutelage. Firing WD would be a far bigger step back in the transitional phase than sitting back on any trade deadline. 

Exactly, the history says all we need to know. When the Sedins retire this team will be completely restructured around Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi and Demko but for now he has a mess to work with.

I do like Galant though he is a great coach. Would be cool if we could have Desjardins as an assistant coach for Gallant.

6 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Exactly, the history says all we need to know. When the Sedins retire this team will be completely restructured around Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi and Demko but for now he has a mess to work with.

I do like Galant though he is a great coach. Would be cool if we could have Desjardins as an assistant coach for Gallant.

But still...why not give those guys the minutes instead of wasting them...why wait til they(Sedins)  are gone. Imagine the success we could be having while we still have the Sedins under contract.. :(

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

But still...why not give those guys the minutes instead of wasting them...why wait til they(Sedins)  are gone. Imagine the success we could be having while we still have the Sedins under contract.. :(

I don't think Willie is the problem but at the same time I think we need a better head coach to allocate the minutes. Willie does a great job of working with the young players so I'd rather he focus on that and let someone else handle the minutes, like Gallant.

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Alain Vigneault

John Tortorella

Mike Sullivan

Blame the GM. Jimbo must go.

At this point I think Willie D is an idiot!

He tried to put Horvat on the fourth line to start the season. I believe Horvat is thriving despite WD not because of him. I really would not credit him with good development of our youth as just as many young players are floundering as are doing well. Yes Granlund and Baertschi are doing well, but how many of our other prospects would have figured it out with the same ice time those guys are afforded?

He only dressed Tryamkin because Larsen got KO'd. It's almost like he couldn't see the guy...and he's freakin' 6'8".

Megna!

Dorsett before him.

Not putting Eriksson on PP1, pretty much the only place that guy could possibly help.

Riding Miller (who I like) to the detriment of Markstrom, a guy nearly a decade younger.

He has had two ridiculously bad seasons, the Canucks worst in decades. Following on the heels of a terrible coaching job against Calgary in the playoffs in his first season.

Not giving many of our own prospects a sniff in the NHL this year so that he can trot out Skille, Chaput, and the aforementioned Megna.

I am a huge Trevor Linden fan...but he is killing me and needs to start steering this ship in a new direction.

I have been a supporter of Benning, but at this point I am wondering what this guy is doing, or if he even knows what he's doing.

This team needs to do something right. Anything. One thing!

Firing Willie Desjardins should be at the top of that list.

Archived