The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins credited with giving Justin Dowling his chance

Salmonberries

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

I agree. Our lineup had become (to quote Torts) "Stale". Now you're watching a retool on the fly. Not many teams have completed that task, but San Jose is one of them.  The infusion of youth into the lineup has caused some hiccoughs, but overall I think the team has overperformed (minus the Sedins). Not sure what you could expect from this roster added the rash of injuries they've had to cope with.

My question is would Willie be interested in going to the press box and continue to work with the club in a development role?

I think Minnesota has also done a fine job of retooling on the fly.  They didn't build that team through the draft.  I think Willie has done a fine job.  He has been developing our young talent with a steady hand and tough love.  This roster has two Calgary castoffs playing key roles and looking great.  He is icing a defensive group with two rookies and a sophomore.  He's helped to develop Bo into a force in this league.  He's faced with a very limited roster.  The entire fourth line and one of the third line wingers are career farmers.  Willie has the ragtag group playing their tails off.  He has them playing a style that is most likely to bring success, a defensive slow-down game, trying to limit the other team's opportunities, leaning heavily on the goalies.  This was not his style in JR or the AHL, so this is Willie coming up with a game plan to win.  I know that playing to win ticks off the tanker crowd, but I'm happy this group of young players are playing to win.  The playoffs are goal, and I'm sure all the negatives written about this team in the off-season are a motivator.  Willie has this team working as hard as any team in the league, but sadly, we're still two or three pieces short.  We'll have Boeser next season, which is one piece. Maybe Jake will turn it around enough to play some third or fourth line minutes next year.  Maybe JB can sign another NCAA impact player.  As long as we don't get hurt by the expansion draft, I think next year will be a playoff year, and the following year we'll actually be in the mix.

5 hours ago, Xbox said:

Willie was an amazing coach in the AHL and at the time seemed like the best candidate. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out perfectly and that's the case with Willie.

However let's look at 3 coaches we recently let go:

Alain Vigneault

John Tortorella

Mike Sullivan

All 3 of those guys have had lots of success since leaving. Now I'm not saying it's our players but it really makes you think.

Well he currently manages to have the unanimously projected 30th place team still in the hunt for a wild card spot in mid February. I'd say that isn't too shabby.

I think the only problem here is with perception. It seems somehow, and don't ask me how because I don't ever read or listen to a word they have to say, our jimmy rustling local media has managed to raise expectations with a segment of fans.

In reality, Willie is still an excellent coach and has done a remarkable job keeping this group competitive this year.

1 minute ago, Salmonberries said:

Well he currently manages to have the unanimously projected 30th place team still in the hunt for a wild card spot in mid February. I'd say that isn't too shabby.

I think the only problem here is with perception. It seems somehow, and don't ask me how because I don't ever read or listen to a word they have to say, our jimmy rustling local media has managed to raise expectations with a segment of fans.

In reality, Willie is still an excellent coach and has done a remarkable job keeping this group competitive this year.

Our chances of making the playoffs are currently 2%.  Is that honestly in the hunt?  I don't think Scotty Bowman would do any better tbh.  Our team stinks.  Except for Bo, we really don't have much.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our chances of making the playoffs are currently 2%.  Is that honestly in the hunt?  I don't think Scotty Bowman would do any better tbh.  Our team stinks.  Except for Bo, we really don't have much.

Tryamkin

Hutton

Stetcher

Grandlund

Bear

Sutter

Not much you say?

4 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

But still...why not give those guys the minutes instead of wasting them...why wait til they(Sedins)  are gone. Imagine the success we could be having while we still have the Sedins under contract.. :(

Horvat and the younger players are producing under sheltered minutes.  The Sedins still face the best players night in night out.  It's more like imagine how poorly the youth would do if the veterans weren't sheltering them.  Maybe next year things will change and Horvats line will start facing the elite night in night out...And the Sedins enjoy a slight resurgence as a result.  Next year and the one after that we are not going to be close to contending for anything but the last wild card spot no matter who is coaching or how the players are juggled and minutes are given.

How far we plummet depends on our goaltending more than anything else.  

10 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

This is the norm on cdc these days. Bunch of whiney bastards. Thinking about starting my own cdc with blackjack and hookers.

I used to post on a canuck fan site that shut down, I often miss that place.

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Tryamkin

Hutton

Stetcher

Grandlund

Bear

Sutter

Not much you say?

Bo is younger than all the guys on your list.  Bo is a very good player with a very high ceiling.  If you are honest with yourself, do you see any of the players you listed as having high ceilings?  I love our players, but I don't see more than average players on your list.  (Excepting Tryamkin, who I have blindly totally fallen head over heals for)

5 hours ago, Xbox said:

Willie was an amazing coach in the AHL and at the time seemed like the best candidate. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out perfectly and that's the case with Willie.

However let's look at 3 coaches we recently let go:

Alain Vigneault

John Tortorella

Mike Sullivan

All 3 of those guys have had lots of success since leaving. Now I'm not saying it's our players but it really makes you think.

DammitJanet! It's that ol' Doctor John tune:

I been in the right place

But it musta' been the wrong time

We been in the right run

But it musta been the wrong car

Our team was in a BAD place

& we wondered what it's good for?

We went & got the right coach

But it musta been the wrong team

Hoped torts would use the right cot

But he went & gave a loud scream

So we went & got Reel Gud

& we'z havin such a good time

So we went to make a line change

But it musta'ben the wrong line!....

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo is younger than all the guys on your list.  Bo is a very good player with a very high ceiling.  If you are honest with yourself, do you see any of the players you listed as having high ceilings?  I love our players, but I don't see more than average players on your list.  (Excepting Tryamkin, who I have blindly totally fallen head over heals for)

Please define "high ceiling"

4 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I think Minnesota has also done a fine job of retooling on the fly.  They didn't build that team through the draft.  I think Willie has done a fine job.  He has been developing our young talent with a steady hand and tough love.  This roster has two Calgary castoffs playing key roles and looking great.  He is icing a defensive group with two rookies and a sophomore.  He's helped to develop Bo into a force in this league.  He's faced with a very limited roster.  The entire fourth line and one of the third line wingers are career farmers.  Willie has the ragtag group playing their tails off.  He has them playing a style that is most likely to bring success, a defensive slow-down game, trying to limit the other team's opportunities, leaning heavily on the goalies.  This was not his style in JR or the AHL, so this is Willie coming up with a game plan to win.  I know that playing to win ticks off the tanker crowd, but I'm happy this group of young players are playing to win.  The playoffs are goal, and I'm sure all the negatives written about this team in the off-season are a motivator.  Willie has this team working as hard as any team in the league, but sadly, we're still two or three pieces short.  We'll have Boeser next season, which is one piece. Maybe Jake will turn it around enough to play some third or fourth line minutes next year.  Maybe JB can sign another NCAA impact player.  As long as we don't get hurt by the expansion draft, I think next year will be a playoff year, and the following year we'll actually be in the mix.

45 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

This is the norm on cdc these days. Bunch of whiney bastards. Thinking about starting my own cdc with blackjack and hookers.

The wild is enjoying an rejuvenated Staal and great goaltending

...And I got blasted for suggesting we got after him last summer...One UFA can make a bid difference.  As far as hookers and blackjack I will bring the blow. 

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I think a lot of people want WD fired but his role in helping our younger players, particularly Horvat, will go a long way when it's all said and done.  I think he's one of our better coaches in franchise history and hope he gets another gig in the NHL with a more talented roster to show everyone here that he knows what he is doing.  He's probably fired at the end of the year and if that is a case he's a scapegoat for management's inability to ice a rebuilt team or a competitive lineup.

Agreed, I think he deserves the opportunity to coach a team with a stronger forward group. The young guys have all taken steps forward and all the players put in a good effort most nights...that is pretty impressive considering the mentality of many pro athletes these days.

6 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

But still...why not give those guys the minutes instead of wasting them...why wait til they(Sedins)  are gone. Imagine the success we could be having while we still have the Sedins under contract.. :(

Politics and job security...play the hand you've been dealt or be fired...Sedins $7M and LE $6M...even though Bo is out performing with less TOI

4 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Garbage team and people putting all the blame on the Coach.  I guess makes sense.  Canuck fans did blame Luongo for 2011 finals when Vancouver set the NHL record for fewest goals scored in a 7 game series. 

I've actually had a firm belief that if we had a competent coach we would've had a firm hold on a playoff spot. Look at some of the runs this team has been able to go on this season, Willie's ridiculous coaching decisions have killed us. 

Archived