The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks ~ Penguins

Trade Proposal Question  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To VAN:

Fleury 5.75M

Kunitz 3.85M

Hagelin 4M

1st 2017

1st 2018

Spoiler

$13.6M to Vancouver

To PIT:

Miller 6M

Edler 5M

Hansen 2.5M

Spoiler

$13.5M to Pittsburgh

The cap is balanced, no salary retention required. (See spoilers)

The Penguins trade for three real good players who are fit to compete in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It wouldn't be hard to convince these three to waive for the defending champs. Hansen is a must for any team trying to out hustle the other team with speed and grit. Edler has above average offensive skills, certainly complementary to the Penguins' high focused offense. And Miller, the warrior, and Vezina Trophy winner is still one of the best goalies in the world; ready to pounce at any puck coming his way. These guys will probably pull more if traded to different teams, but JB isn't known for making too many trades at once. So a big time blockbuster seems appropriate.

Although the value of the players we're receiving isn't quite much, they can still be an impact to our team. Kunitz brings his salary with him. Fleury would look good in a Canucks jersey. And Hagelin is the key player that we'd be getting in this deal; he is a middle 6 foward with lots of skill and speed. He might even be a good fit with the Sedins. Or he can take Rodin or Boucher's spot while one of them recovers and the other tries to make the lineup permanently. This could possibly make our offense more constructed. It also solves our expansion issues. Another upside for us is that we get two much needed 1st round picks. These picks will probably be later in the 1st round, but with JB's elite scouting, I'm sure we can draft a couple players that could be Canucks for a long, long time. 

"Looking back isn't going to help you. Moving forward is the thing you have to do."

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That would be quite the blockbuster. I'm not sure how it helps us with expansion though. We would probably end up having to expose Baertschi AND Granlund.

Daniel, Henrik, Sutter, Horvat, Eriksson, Hagelin, Kunitz

I like the 1st rounders

Re-sign Kunitz before the expansion draft and then expose him.

We should trade these guys ASAP while they're still worth some 1st round picks.

So, we'd be trading for Kuntz (38 when the season begins) only to give him to Vegas? It's an interesting idea. Those two 1st founders are intriguing. I believe if PIT got Elder, Hansen and Miller between the pipes, they would be an even better team. Could be scary in the playoffs.

I want to see those guys win a Stanley Cup...

... in Vancouver.  GCG!

(a good GM is always open to a trade that helps the team but I wouldn't be actively shopping those guys - and I don't think that Jim and co. are)

If those guys win a Cup it's with us.  That sucked seeing Bonino win a Cup right after we traded him away.  I loved Bieksa while he was here, and still do, but don't want him winning a Cup, because that would mean Kesler wins one too.  If we traded Tanev to TO, would we cheer for the friggin Leafs all of a sudden?  Not a chance.  No Cups unless they win with us.  Alf has spoken...bow to me.:lol:

As a Penguins fan, no thanks. Acquiring Miller makes no sense. Murray is a legit number 1. Spending $6M on a guy to be a backup is lunacy. Especially when that cap space needs to be used elsewhere. 

Now acquiring Edler makes a hell of a lot of sense. Penguins D is garbage. No depth what-so-ever. Acquiring a top 4 left handed D in Edler would be perfect. Hansen would be a good addition as well, but up front is not a problem at all for the Pens. Tons of depth up there. To acquire Edler however, I wonder what they would be willing to give up. I wonder if Sprong/Guentzel plus maybe this years 1st are in play. I know the Penguins have traded like all of their firsts the last few years, but with this weak draft and the fact that they'll be around ~25, I wonder if they'll move it. 

Sounds good to me.  But I don't know how they would manage their own expansion issues by adding Edler to the mix.  Or how this would be worth the firsts as well...Maybe if we gave them our seconds in return it would balance out.  Also it would pretty much gaurantee Miller would be in Vegas pulling a Hall.  Like it make it happen Benning!

19 hours ago, Nas19 said:

As a Penguins fan, no thanks. Acquiring Miller makes no sense. Murray is a legit number 1. Spending $6M on a guy to be a backup is lunacy. Especially when that cap space needs to be used elsewhere. 

Now acquiring Edler makes a hell of a lot of sense. Penguins D is garbage. No depth what-so-ever. Acquiring a top 4 left handed D in Edler would be perfect. Hansen would be a good addition as well, but up front is not a problem at all for the Pens. Tons of depth up there. To acquire Edler however, I wonder what they would be willing to give up. I wonder if Sprong/Guentzel plus maybe this years 1st are in play. I know the Penguins have traded like all of their firsts the last few years, but with this weak draft and the fact that they'll be around ~25, I wonder if they'll move it. 

They're pretty much already spending 6 million on a backup.

@Green Goblin

I do like the idea acquiring Hagelin. I think he would be a good fit with the Twins. But at best he's a 30-40 point guy so it shouldn't cost much to get him.

What about Edler for Maatta?  Would Pittsburgh do it?  It may be a big jump for them to trade Maatta just due to a six week injury and obviously Edler is quite a bit older, but Edler bring much more experience for a playoff run, and is also a left hand shot.  Maatta is younger, which helps the Canucks, but essentially out for this season.  4M vs 5M cap hit.

Archived