The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canuck kyle wellwood doesnt like hockey? Shocking.

cuporbust

Hey guys.  A shout out to the Kyle wellwood fans out there (if there is any) 

Interesting interview on 1040 today. May have shed light on why he never reached his potential. 

When asked if he ever missed hockey , he admitted to donny and b mac he felt ot was "too much of a grind" , and only once in a while misses playoff hockey. Also said he doesnt find hockey fun enough to play after retirement. 

One of the most interesting things he said when asked of he enjoyed playing for Av , he said , " Av didnt want me on the team and he made sure everyone knew that". Said that soured their relationship. 

Gee welly , i wonder why. 

Anyways. Just thought some would find this interesting. Its sad a guy that doesnt like the game was blessed with that kind of talent. This is why you dont just draft on talent alone. 

Doesn't honestly surprise me given his overall demeanour (not saying this in a disparaging way). Got me wondering what other players have said they didn't like hockey that much. There's an old thread on HFBoards about it: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=967543

Knew about Hull and Daigle beforehand. Jim Carey and Jimmy Carson were a few other notable names.

It makes you wonder how many players out there right now are in hockey "just because".

Considering the amount of money we're talking about, this is a really interesting topic. 

I mean, most people would kill to do something they love for a living, even if it meant making less money.... then you have people making TONNES of money, garnering MASSIVE amounts of attention, and all the while basically feeling indifferent about it.

Food for thought. 

5 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

It makes you wonder how many players out there right now are in hockey "just because".

Considering the amount of money we're talking about, this is a really interesting topic. 

I mean, most people would kill to do something they love for a living, even if it meant making less money.... then you have people making TONNES of money, garnering MASSIVE amounts of attention, and all the while basically feeling indifferent about it.

Food for thought. 

Lots. Yakupov probably... anyone playing for Arizona on purpose...

26 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Doesn't honestly surprise me given his overall demeanour (not saying this in a disparaging way). Got me wondering what other players have said they didn't like hockey that much. There's an old thread on HFBoards about it: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=967543

Knew about Hull and Daigle beforehand. Jim Carey and Jimmy Carson were a few other notable names.

Alexandre Daigle said he didnt like playing as well. Its just too bad he didnt tell the Sens before the draft. Lol

34 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

One of the most interesting things he said when asked of he enjoyed playing for Av , he said , " Av didnt want me on the team and he made sure everyone knew that".

...well when you admit that you find hockey to be a grind you're basically saying you're not going to sell out for your teammates... what coach (or teammate) would want you on the team? Guys like Kesler were begging to have fingers cut off to keep playing and you don't get excited about hockey because its 'hard'.

Add him to the list with Paul Ranger and Ilya Bryzgalov.

I get 'blah' with playing hockey around February or so... and I play beer league with an additional game on the side. So a max of 3 times a week, usually closer to two on average. No practicing, no coaches telling me 7 days a week 10 months a year what to do.

I can see how it would be a grind for many. But when you've invested every moment from probably 12-13 years old until drafted at 18, signed and finally on a roster at 21-24ish Suddenly there are a lot of games on that body already. And it burns up fast. But you've got no other skills... all you've done to this point is play hockey. No college, no uni, no work experience. Just hockey. So it's all hockey...or you're broke. And the lifestyle catches many guys up. Nice cars, nice houses, nice times out. So the money has to roll in. I'd say that part is no different from other jobs, where lifestyle adopts to the salary and how some office punter who makes 200k a year can complain about not having enough $$$.

So for all the guys in the AHL who are 'working man salary' - when the ride stops, that's it. Dreaming for the shot in the show... but for most it never comes. And even those who do make it, the grind of day after day after day. The money's great, but if the body is so far gone at 35 that your next 40-50 years are miserable due to random excruciating pain... I can see how guys might not want it. A mile in the shoes.

Archived