The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canuck kyle wellwood doesnt like hockey? Shocking.

cuporbust

4 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

You don't think an NHL player, even with a bit of chub, is in better shape than 95% of the general population?

Lol. You basically implied 95% of posters here are overweight. I don't know anyone here personally but I know for a fact that's not true. 

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Seemed like a pretty apathetic individual. I can respect his position, I think he'll get more out of the money he made as an NHL-er than most superstars tbh.

I can understand these athletes that quit their sport after a few years.   

I mean you've played the same damn sport for 20 years by now, wouldn't you want to take your money and do some interesting things in life instead of listen to coaches telling you the Xs and Ys of the game over and over.  

You are striving to go from 99.99th percentile of the players in the world, to the 99.995th percentile of the players in the world.  

I'd get burnt out, go travel for a while and visit coffee shops and pubs all day, every day.  When you get bored of that, take something interesting in university, etc.

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I wonder how Jamie Benn feels about the game these days? Wasn't it his uncertainty about continuing to play that caused him to be drafted so low?

Benn loves hockey and playing for his country.  No story there.  He slipped through the cracks due to poor scouting while playing in a relatively little covered market.  A lot of teams missed the mark on him.  

40 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Has anybody been sick of their job and wanted a change?  

It's not just hockey.  Lot's of people lose their motivation for a million reasons.   Auto Mechanics, Lawyers, Chefs, you name it.

Just because you have a gift or are good at something doesn't make you want to do it.  People are complicated.

This is true, but the level of competition to become a lawyer is much lower than the level of competition required to become a professional NHL player. It would be a lot easier to not work very hard and become a lawyer than it would be to not work very hard and play in the NHL. That's why it is surprising/rare to find someone make the NHL despite not enjoying it very much. You have to be pretty extremely talented to make this league despite not really working hard because you don't enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

This is true, but the level of competition to become a lawyer is much lower than the level of competition required to become a professional NHL player. It would be a lot easier to not work very hard and become a lawyer than it would be to not work very hard and play in the NHL. That's why it is surprising/rare to find someone make the NHL despite not enjoying it very much. You have to be pretty extremely talented to make this league despite not really working hard because you don't enjoy it.

Natural ability and work habits are not always directly related.

Sometimes the guys with most talent never had to develop the same level of work habits.....

That's why sometimes the most talented players don't make the best coaches... They never had to break the game down as much. 

Mario and Jagr used to just float around in practise with little gear and no helmets....  Their team mates were probably not very impressed.  

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Natural ability and work habits are not always directly related.

Sometimes the guys with most talent never had to develop the same level of work habits.....

That's why sometimes the most talented players don't make the best coaches... They never had to break the game down as much. 

Mario and Jagr used to just float around in practise with little gear and no helmets....  Their team mates were probably not very impressed.  

Yes, but I think you can easily argue that the vast majority of NHLers possess both... especially today. Exceptions can definitely be found.

4 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys.  A shout out to the Kyle wellwood fans out there (if there is any) 

Interesting interview on 1040 today. May have shed light on why he never reached his potential. 

When asked if he ever missed hockey , he admitted to donny and b mac he felt ot was "too much of a grind" , and only once in a while misses playoff hockey. Also said he doesnt find hockey fun enough to play after retirement. 

One of the most interesting things he said when asked of he enjoyed playing for Av , he said , " Av didnt want me on the team and he made sure everyone knew that". Said that soured their relationship. 

Gee welly , i wonder why. 

Anyways. Just thought some would find this interesting. Its sad a guy that doesnt like the game was blessed with that kind of talent. This is why you dont just draft on talent alone. 

Is there a link? How do you make this thread without a link? I never heard the interview so I'm suppose to just take your word for it. 

7 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Reminds me of Alexandre Daigle. t's a shame. Wellwood could've had a much better career if he was dedicated. Can't teach passion though. Him and Daigle both squandered what could've been good careers.

It's sad to see players who just ooze talent, just not care about the game, or the work it takes to stay in it. 

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys.  A shout out to the Kyle wellwood fans out there (if there is any) 

Interesting interview on 1040 today. May have shed light on why he never reached his potential. 

When asked if he ever missed hockey , he admitted to donny and b mac he felt ot was "too much of a grind" , and only once in a while misses playoff hockey. Also said he doesnt find hockey fun enough to play after retirement. 

One of the most interesting things he said when asked of he enjoyed playing for Av , he said , " Av didnt want me on the team and he made sure everyone knew that". Said that soured their relationship. 

Gee welly , i wonder why. 

Anyways. Just thought some would find this interesting. Its sad a guy that doesnt like the game was blessed with that kind of talent. This is why you dont just draft on talent alone. 

Always wondered what happened to "Doughnut Boy"...............

On 2/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, canuckledraggin said:

Yeah you could say AV had a problem with him.

The brilliant AV was of course correct in his assessment of Wellwood. Not as publicized as this great clip, but I remember AV just reaming out Wellwood, in another post-gamer when the floater missed a wide open net tap-in, for not bearing down on his chances.

No sympathy for Wellwood from me. Somebody upthread mentioned how tough, what a grind it is, to play pro sports. In some measure, sure. But it's also true that there're very few jobs where an employee can make millions, guaranteed, over the next 4-10 years, with no accountability as to justifiable salary reduction or contract termination if the employee just mails it in for those years. (There's a rule in the CBA where contracts can become null and void, but the player's behaviour has to be incredibly egregious, and I don't recall it being applicable to anyone in practice.)

When the fans have more passion that the player, it doesn't reflect well on the latter.

Archived