The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canuck kyle wellwood doesnt like hockey? Shocking.

cuporbust

I enjoyed watching him play.  Say what you want about his fitness and commitment but when he was on he was a joy to watch, smooth skater, soft hands and a good eye for the game.  The thing is that the NHL season is a grind.  It takes a special kind of athlete to not only be able to do it but to keep on doing it.  It sure makes what the Sedins have done / are doing look quite special in comparison.  GCG!

I know a lot of current/former NHL and other pro players and you would be amazed how many of them openly say they didn't completely enjoy playing hockey, even in the NHL. It very much is a job to the players and they treat it as such I find. It is a very demanding job though with the level of physical and mental preparedness it takes. It can be very grueling.

Its easy for us to look at a guy like Wellwood and scoff that he didn't have the drive to fully realize his potential. Or a guy like Virtanen and question his commitment. All we see is the games. We don't really understand just how much of a job it actually is and not everyone can sustain that. 

One of my good friends was drafted pretty high and played in the NHL for 12 years and had a good career. He told me he was already getting burned out on his enjoyment of hockey in the AHL and probably before that but he was too naive to know it at the time. The high of making the NHL full time brought back the passion but eventually it really just is a job much like any other. He said he always loved playing the game but there were a lot of times he didn't like it at all. That made perfect sense to me.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I know a lot of current/former NHL and other pro players and you would be amazed how many of them openly say they didn't completely enjoy playing hockey, even in the NHL. It very much is a job to the players and they treat it as such I find. It is a very demanding job though with the level of physical and mental preparedness it takes. It can be very grueling.

Its easy for us to look at a guy like Wellwood and scoff that he didn't have the drive to fully realize his potential. Or a guy like Virtanen and question his commitment. All we see is the games. We don't really understand just how much of a job it actually is and not everyone can sustain that. 

One of my good friends was drafted pretty high and played in the NHL for 12 years and had a good career. He told me he was already getting burned out on his enjoyment of hockey in the AHL and probably before that but he was too naive to know it at the time. The high of making the NHL full time brought back the passion but eventually it really just is a job much like any other. He said he always loved playing the game but there were a lot of times he didn't like it at all. That made perfect sense to me.

Hockey is all most these guys know. Most sacrificed education / part time jobs /  and any work experience - trade training.

They have been 100 % focused on pro hockey since they were probably 10 yr olds.   365  days per year.   You do that for 20 years.

No doubt the love of the game is gone for many......... I  only know one guy that played in the NHL . He played 7-8 yrs and was a first round draft pick....

He can't ever play rec hockey or seniors hockey.... or even go out on the ice.  To be honest , he has lost pretty much all his passion for the game after focusing on it for so long.....

Isn't Gretzky the guy that also never played any kind of hockey after he retired.. ? 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hockey is all most these guys know. Most sacrificed education / part time jobs /  and any work experience - trade training.

They have been 100 % focused on pro hockey since they were probably 10 yr olds.   365  days per year.   You do that for 20 years.

No doubt the love of the game is gone for many......... I  only know one guy that played in the NHL . He played 7-8 yrs and was a first round draft pick....

He can't ever play rec hockey or seniors hockey.... or even go out on the ice.  To be honest , he has lost pretty much all his passion for the game after focusing on it for so long.....

Isn't Gretzky the guy that also never played any kind of hockey after he retired.. ? 

He coached for a while. I think there was some expectation he'd be in management like on Team Canada. I have always wondered if he and Messier forgot that you have to learn the ropes a bit first. Yzerman did. 

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

That's pretty common actually.

Great point about the commitment of time, energy, and focus over all else for years or decades. 

My kids and I have played street hockey with my friend and his kids but as far as I know other than coming out to help me as a guest coach at a few of my Atom teams practices last year he has never played ice hockey since retiring. I don't know that for sure but he has never mentioned it. We actually rarely talk about anything hockey related other than minor hockey anymore lol.

It was such a highlight for the kids on my team when he came out though. Playing with an NHL player (that is still young enough they knew who he was lol) was the highlight of their year. My goalie made a wicked glove save on him and didn't stop talking about it the rest of the season.

EDIT: I never thought much about it before but it's also funny that none of his kids play ice hockey. They all play other sports.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That's pretty common actually.

Great point about the commitment of time, energy, and focus over all else for years or decades. 

My kids and I have played street hockey with my friend and his kids but as far as I know other than coming out to help me as a guest coach at a few of my Atom teams practices last year he has never played ice hockey since retiring. I don't know that for sure but he has never mentioned it. We actually rarely talk about anything hockey related other than minor hockey anymore lol.

It was such a highlight for the kids on my team when he came out though. Playing with an NHL player (that is still young enough they knew who he was lol) was the highlight of their year. My goalie made a wicked glove save on him and didn't stop talking about it the rest of the season.

EDIT: I never thought much about it before but it's also funny that none of his kids play ice hockey. They all play other sports.

yup a guy i know played in the show and actually with Team Canada at Olympics......   He  has his kid in house league hockey....

He went out to help a few rep coaches and saw them teaching U 10's to play trap  and dump and chase etc...   He never went back to work with rep coaches...

He actually played in Europe after  his NHL career and was so impressed with how in Europe the kids are coached to be be creative and not drilled the SYSTEMS approach into them since toddlers......    Very interesting guy to talk hockey with after a few bevies....

Sorry for only reading the first page, but here's my perspective -

My son plays U8 novice hockey and I'm constantly irritated by parents that rag on and pressure their children to be better at hockey.

They tell their kids everything they did wrong and all the little things they could do better before asking - "Did you have fun tonight, are you happy with your game, is there anything you're not happy about?"

There's a segment of society that put their children into sports, camps etc. and push them too hard, so they can essentially use their child as a status symbol, and I find that disgusting. I hate those parents. On parent-kid night I actually try to injure said as**ole parents "accidentally".

Wellwood may well be one of those "trophy kids" that was poked, pinched, prodded and groomed to be a hockey player, regardless of what he wanted, because Daddy needed the ego boost.

I see parents pressure their 7-8yr old kids in Novice Hockey. Grade 2-3 kids being scolded for not being able to "focus" or "stay with your check", "shoot more", "don't play the puck", "go to the net". 

Sorry to rant, but I'd wager there are hundreds of kids that came through the CHL and dozens that actually made the NHL who don't like playing hockey, because their parents ruined the game for them

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Sorry for only reading the first page, but here's my perspective -

My son plays U8 novice hockey and I'm constantly irritated by parents that rag on and pressure their children to be better at hockey.

They tell their kids everything they did wrong and all the little things they could do better before asking - "Did you have fun tonight, are you happy with your game, is there anything you're not happy about?"

There's a segment of society that put their children into sports, camps etc. and push them too hard, so they can essentially use their child as a status symbol, and I find that disgusting. I hate those parents. On parent-kid night I actually try to injure said as**ole parents "accidentally".

Wellwood may well be one of those "trophy kids" that was poked, pinched, prodded and groomed to be a hockey player, regardless of what he wanted, because Daddy needed the ego boost.

I see parents pressure their 7-8yr old kids in Novice Hockey. Grade 2-3 kids being scolded for not being able to "focus" or "stay with your check", "shoot more", "don't play the puck", "go to the net". 

Sorry to rant, but I'd wager there are hundreds of kids that came through the CHL and dozens that actually made the NHL who don't like playing hockey, because their parents ruined the game for them

I see this too often as well. It drove me mental as a coach. 

When I coached last year the kids learned a lot but still had fun and loved the game at the end of the year. A few parents hated me because I didn't believe in stacking lines or double shifting the better players.

One game we were leading by one goal with a minute left and we took a penalty. The next two forwards and two defense up were by far our weakest players. But I sent them out because it was their turn. I did it knowing full well done parents would be pissed off no matter what I did. But those kids killed the clock and we won the game. For that one game, they were the stars of our team and every kid deserves that feeling. Our "best players" couldn't stop talking about what a great job they did.

It was worth any heat I got. And the sad thing is a couple of the parents actually complained to the association that I wasn't trying hard enough to win. In Atom house. Sad.

My 12 year old nephew plays and is quite good but his coach sets up all of their plays so his son scores. The game I saw a few weeks ago the kid scored the first 9 goals. The other kids have to do everything to set up the coaches boy and no one likes it, even the coaches son. He isn't doing anyone any favours with his systems, I could see where all the kids eventually won't want to play anymore. 

As for parents, there are some real winners out there pressuring kids and being jerks in general to everyone. It is no wonder some talented kids struggle to enjoy something that should be fun because of parents and coaches with Mark Messier type ego.......

it's amazing he did so well for someone who didnt have the passion for the sport.  cash in after a few seasons and retire. sounds like a solid game plan too me.  

wish he had more desire and passion for the game and his teammates.  he could of been an impact player today.  

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I see this too often as well. It drove me mental as a coach. 

When I coached last year the kids learned a lot but still had fun and loved the game at the end of the year. A few parents hated me because I didn't believe in stacking lines or double shifting the better players.

One game we were leading by one goal with a minute left and we took a penalty. The next two forwards and two defense up were by far our weakest players. But I sent them out because it was their turn. I did it knowing full well done parents would be pissed off no matter what I did. But those kids killed the clock and we won the game. For that one game, they were the stars of our team and every kid deserves that feeling. Our "best players" couldn't stop talking about what a great job they did.

It was worth any heat I got. And the sad thing is a couple of the parents actually complained to the association that I wasn't trying hard enough to win. In Atom house. Sad.

I can only +1 at a time, but you sir, are a fine coach. I don't coach hockey, I coach soccer and baseball, but I really push the morals as you. 

Coaches and parents need to be there for the kids, not the other way around. These kids will be successful or elite if they are those things, not because they're made to be. Sure, extra ice or batting practice might give them an upper hand, but why? Is that what the kids wants? If so, giver s**t, but if not - f**k right off.

Our job is to allow them to fail and to be there to tell them they're allowed (to fail) and that it's okay. Foster growth, don't force it. How on earth can you expect perfection, from CHILDREN, when we are far from perfect ourselves.

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

I enjoyed watching him play.  Say what you want about his fitness and commitment but when he was on he was a joy to watch, smooth skater, soft hands and a good eye for the game.  The thing is that the NHL season is a grind.  It takes a special kind of athlete to not only be able to do it but to keep on doing it.  It sure makes what the Sedins have done / are doing look quite special in comparison.  GCG!

Ya i was a fan too actually. Scored some pretty slick goals. 

That's the way it goes, you can endlessly work but you can never make yourself have that natural ability. Sucks when you have a drive or passion for something and you can never match those that can can do it easily for free.

As far as I know Wellwood always seemed like a nice guy so I wish him well in whatever he's doing, plus he was entertaining to watch.

I wouldn't expect Wellwood to mesh with many NHL coaches so that's no surprise that AV didn't want him on the team.

Gretzky is the guy that surprises me the most post playing career. He seemed to be really into hockey while playing but post playing career he seems uninterested and just tells the media what they want to hear. I think a lot of people think Gretzky is aching to get back into hockey in a more serious role but I bet he never does. I'm curious if he burnt out from playing or if he just had a narrow focus where playing drove him in a way that coaching and other stuff just doesn't fire him up. I could see Gretzky being a control freak that can't handle not being on the ice controlling the game himself.

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

Actually Lucky, I recall reading an article(daily paper? forget.) on Welly's family that was pretty tough. Long time ago, but the gist was his Dad had bipolar, & Kyle & his family really had to pull together. I was impressed by how open, forthcoming & kind-hearted the guy seemed. Wanted him to become a HHOF'er(lol) after that!

Whatever the guy gets into, hope he does well.

BTW, liked your comment on over-the-top parents. It's pretty crazy.

Archived