The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Callahan likely sidelined for the remainder of the season with second hip surgery

Bigturk8

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightnings-callahan-likely-out-for-season/2314200

But the good news for the Lightning wing is it doesn't sound like his nagging hip injury is career-threatening.

After having surgery in the offseason, Callahan, 31, had a followup procedure on his right hip Tuesday in New York, and general manager Steve Yzerman said he didn't expect Callahan back during the regular season.

If Tampa Bay makes the playoffs, a Callahan return could depend on how far the team advances.

"Has been a tough year but I'm 1 day closer to getting back on the ice with the boyzzz!!!" Callahan posted on Twitter on Wednesday.

It has been a frustrating season for Callahan, whose hip has bothered him even after a labral tear was surgically repaired in June. Callahan has been limited to 18 games. His last one was Jan. 7.

After spending more than a month rehabilitating and exhausting several options, Callahan still didn't feel right. So he had an appointment Tuesday with Dr. Bryan Kelly, who had performed the surgery. An exploratory procedure revealed that the labrum remains intact and Callahan's problem is more about scar tissue, Yzerman said.

"All in all, it's encouraging," Yzerman said.

This could also give the Lightning around $5.8 million in additional salary cap space for Wednesday's trade deadline if Callahan, who has three years left on his deal, is put on long-term injured reserve. That could give Yzerman much-needed flexibility.

"If we want to, we can take advantage," Yzerman said. "If there's an opportunity to make our team better, we will."

HANSEN!!!

lol seems like a lot of teams need goaltending and Hansen. ^^  hope we get a 1st and a 3rd. maybe a prospect instead of a 3rd.. is hainsey gets a mid to late 2nd.  Hansen should get a 1st a 3rd min right?  I hope we get a prospect back with a high pick.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

HANSEN!!!

lol seems like a lot of teams need goaltending and Hansen. ^^  hope we get a 1st and a 3rd. maybe a prospect instead of a 3rd.. is hainsey gets a mid to late 2nd.  Hansen should get a 1st a 3rd min right?  I hope we get a prospect back with a high pick.

That's a pretty big overvaluation for Hansen. The guy is worth a 1st rounder at the most, possibly a 2nd rounder and a B prospect. 

Just now, Fateless said:

That's a pretty big overvaluation for Hansen. The guy is worth a 1st rounder at the most, possibly a 2nd rounder and a B prospect. 

I'm basing it off the price paid for hainsey and stone. who went for insane rates.  we shall see. Hansen too me is worth way more then hainsey even with the inflated prices.  

guests on tsn1040 think hansen could garner a 1st and prospect.  not just me speculating :) this is before the insane d prices too.  maybe I'm being too optimistic but that seems to be the concencus among the media peeps.

I'm excited too wait and see what happens.  I'd be happy with a 2nd and a good prospect. 

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm basing it off the price paid for hainsey and stone. who went for insane rates.  we shall see. Hansen too me is worth way more then hainsey even with the inflated prices.  

guests on tsn1040 think hansen could garner a 1st and prospect.  not just me speculating :) this is before the insane d prices too.  maybe I'm being too optimistic but that seems to be the concencus among the media peeps.

I'm excited too wait and see what happens.  I'd be happy with a 2nd and a good prospect. 

I just don't want you to get unrealistic hopes up. Just because guests on 1040 are saying something doesn't mean that's accurate. Stone didn't actually go for much at all and Hainsey isn't comparable to Hansen in any sense. I think a 2nd and prospect is around what we'll get, maybe a late 1st rounder from a contender if we're lucky, but anything more than a 1st is a pipedream. At least until more trades happen and the market heats up.

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

I just don't want you to get unrealistic hopes up. Just because guests on 1040 are saying something doesn't mean that's accurate. Stone didn't actually go for much at all and Hainsey isn't comparable to Hansen in any sense. I think a 2nd and prospect is around what we'll get, maybe a late 1st rounder from a contender if we're lucky, but anything more than a 1st is a pipedream. At least until more trades happen and the market heats up.

ya that's fair.  prospect and a 2nd is most probable. a 1st from a contender would be nice but it would likely be in the 20-31 range pick anyways. 

all we can do is wait and hope for the best!

Archived