The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] DOPS continues to err on wrong side of caution

poetica

17 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Like I said:

In order to make it safer, you eliminate potential hazards that can have life altering effects.  The game, itself, won't change.....in that hitting will still be part of it.  But, if the head is contacted then it's contact to the head (duh) and whowhatwhywhenhow doesn't matter.  Giving some a free pass "because" does nothing to reduce the risk...it actually paves a path for it.  

When the job ends, no one should be compromised or unable to fully function "because".   Employers have a responsibility to look at ways they can identify and eliminate anything that poses a long term health risk.   Hits to the head are part of that, so they can't be excused if the league is serious about this.

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

In order to make it safer, you eliminate potential hazards that can have life altering effects.  The game, itself, won't change.....in that hitting will still be part of it.  But, if the head is contacted then it's contact to the head (duh) and whowhatwhywhenhow doesn't matter.  Giving some a free pass "because" does nothing to reduce the risk...it actually paves a path for it.  

When the job ends, no one should be compromised or unable to fully function "because".   Employers have a responsibility to look at ways they can identify and eliminate anything that poses a long term health risk.   Hits to the head are part of that, so they can't be excused if the league is serious about this.

You can be just like a dog with a bone sometimes....

You and I are just going to go in circles with this.  I only agree with parts of what you are saying.  I've given this subject thought now and again over the years and will continue to do so.  I'm not going to change my mind any time soon.  Neither are you.

On 2/24/2017 at 2:29 PM, debluvscanucks said:

For us, the selfish fans, that's a good point.

But for the guys who struggle after hockey is over, boring beats debilitating.

I love "Rock 'em sock 'em" hockey....have every single one in that series.  But we're learning and evolving so the game has to as well.  Sure, it's sad to have to give up some of the physicality....but if you were there to see Dan Hamhuis lying motionless on the ice, as I was, it's enough to make you feel sick and understand it's for the best to address preventable injuries.

We should just educate the athletes better on what type of injuries they can expect, and what head injuries can cause. I just don't think there are many players that would stop playing. The risk reward involved in hockey is well worth the risks. Hell, I played hockey as a hobby growing up and suffered a few concussions and I would never go back in time and not play to save myself from those. Was some of the most fun I'll probably ever have in my life. It was worth it without a doubt.

If you told me that I could make millions of dollars between the age of 18-40 playing the sport I love but the other side of the deal would be it would take say 20 years off the end of my life I bet the yay would drown out the nays. 

These guys know what theyre signing up to nowadays. There is no need to change the game. Players will adapt. 

3 hours ago, canuck204 said:

We should just educate the athletes better on what type of injuries they can expect, and what head injuries can cause. I just don't think there are many players that would stop playing. The risk reward involved in hockey is well worth the risks. Hell, I played hockey as a hobby growing up and suffered a few concussions and I would never go back in time and not play to save myself from those. Was some of the most fun I'll probably ever have in my life. It was worth it without a doubt.

If you told me that I could make millions of dollars between the age of 18-40 playing the sport I love but the other side of the deal would be it would take say 20 years off the end of my life I bet the yay would drown out the nays. 

These guys know what theyre signing up to nowadays. There is no need to change the game. Players will adapt. 

I disagree.   If an employer (league) "expects" head injuries, they should be working to address and eliminate them because that becomes a known workplace hazard.   Not warn them of what to expect.  

Would you expect that in any other profession?  That hazards are identified and workers have them pointed out vs being actively protected against them?

There are players who admittedly think of taking their own lives...no amount of money is worth that. 

If you had kids?  Grandkids?  You'd deprive yourself of sharing moments of their lives for a price?   And...that's you, but not everyone shares that opinion.   Just as not everyone shares mine.

Lol you aren't going to eliminate squat. The only way you are going stop the so called "head hits" is to slow the game down. Everyone must now proceed down the ice at a medium jog. It's just not going to happen. So your best shot is to educate. Unfortunately hits are not a hazard you can cut out without ruining the game. 

Edit: I wouldn't oppose to making the rinks bigger. I feel more space would give guys more time. With the size and speed of guys these days there just isn't enough ice to react.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I disagree.   If an employer (league) "expects" head injuries, they should be working to address and eliminate them because that becomes a known workplace hazard.   Not warn them of what to expect.  

Would you expect that in any other profession?  That hazards are identified and workers have them pointed out vs being actively protected against them?

There are players who admittedly think of taking their own lives...no amount of money is worth that. 

If you had kids?  Grandkids?  You'd deprive yourself of sharing moments of their lives for a price?   And...that's you, but not everyone shares that opinion.   Just as not everyone shares mine.

I think we just have total opposite opinions on this subject. They are choosing to be employed and play hockey knowing the rules and the risks involved. They are not forced to do this.

I also think the league can do some improvement on the safety but I would move more towards making safer equipment, education and more punishment for illegal hits.

The whole suicide thing is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed but again I think they can do it by having resources for players that struggle with mental illness whether it's caused by brain trauma, their upbringing etc or a combination of these factors. A lot of that had a lot to do with drug abuse and the league and some current/retired players are coming forward to help with this major issue.

I would be shocked if people wouldn't take the deal I mentioned about taking 20 years off their lives to play hockey for a living and be wealthy and setup for their family by the time they turned 40. 

But that's just me. Would be very interesting to get a poll about that.

I still highly doubt the punishments are going to fix anything. While ok they can be there, to think they're going to stop it from happening by any means is naive. You could start with equipment but that also runs the chance of players getting even more reckless. I whole heartedly feel that the current ice surface is quite too small for this era. I really can't see anything short of making the nhl into house rules (no hitting) that will do any good.

Archived