The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

I'm not worried about Dahlen, otherwise, Dorion would have pulled a fast one over on Jim Benning, and that just won't happen. Dahlen is developing his game (especially D), getting a lot of ice time, getting comfortable with NA ice and AHL competition. He'll be here (VAN) next year I think, might even get a few games in late March.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not worried about Dahlen, otherwise, Dorion would have pulled a fast one over on Jim Benning, and that just won't happen. Dahlen is developing his game (especially D), getting a lot of ice time, getting comfortable with NA ice and AHL competition. He'll be here (VAN) next year I think, might even get a few games in late March.

Dorion is a pretty good scout himself - he is the one that pushed the Senators to draft Erik Karlsson.  He comes from a scouting family and climbed the ranks starting as a scout up to GM - just like Benning did.  They do have differing opinions on Dahlen.  At the trade Dorion told Le Droit that they didn't think Dahlen would become an impact player in the NHL while Benning thinks he's a blue chip prospect.  No one knows today who will end up being right down the road.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Dorion is a pretty good scout himself - he is the one that pushed the Senators to draft Erik Karlsson.  He comes from a scouting family and climbed the ranks starting as a scout up to GM - just like Benning did.  They do have differing opinions on Dahlen.  At the trade Dorion told Le Droit that they didn't think Dahlen would become an impact player in the NHL while Benning thinks he's a blue chip prospect.  No one knows today who will end up being right down the road.  

That's interesting, I never knew Dorion had a scouting background. Well, he did draft Dahlen at #42 (2nd round) in 2016, so he must've thought pretty highly of him. Maybe they felt because he was still a young player in Sweden, it would take too long to develop him properly? OTT was in a win-now mode in 2016/17, and then figured they would bring in Burr as a playoff veteran the following season, and Dahlen was the bait. Didn't work out for them. It's working out for the Canucks so far though. 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

I'm a little worried that Dahlén might be Anton Rodin 2.0 minus the injuries.

Rodin minus the injuries was an SHL MVP. He was progressing into a very good player until those injuries happened, so I think I would be quite happy if Dahlen does end up being Rodin 2.0 minus the injuries.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's interesting, I never knew Dorion had a scouting background. Well, he did draft Dahlen at #42 (2nd round) in 2016, so he must've thought pretty highly of him. Maybe they felt because he was still a young player in Sweden, it would take too long to develop him properly? OTT was in a win-now mode in 2016/17, and then figured they would bring in Burr as a playoff veteran the following season, and Dahlen was the bait. Didn't work out for them. It's working out for the Canucks so far though. 

He was talking about how they had young prospects who were untouchable because they were the future of the team - he didn't list them but said guys in the Q and in the minors and that Dahlen was not part of that group.  He said they didn't believe that he will be an impact player at the NHL level.    

He should have many more points if his teammates would have buried his grade-A setups throughout the season. Very similar story to Pettersson with the Canucks.

Let him simmer some more and become a responsible player in all zones, but the lack of high-quality centres really hurts players like Dahlen right now in Utica. I think he'll be a top 6 forward in due time especially with the opportunity to play with high-end centres in Pettersson/Horvat.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:54 AM, theo5789 said:

Rodin minus the injuries was an SHL MVP. He was progressing into a very good player until those injuries happened, so I think I would be quite happy if Dahlen does end up being Rodin 2.0 minus the injuries.

Rodin minus the injuries might have been quite a player.

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, mll said:

Wasn't Erik Karlsson pretty highly touted before the draft?

Karlsson is a franchise defenceman, which OTT lucked out on (or did), but it wasn't like Karlsson was a diamond in the rough.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Wasn't Erik Karlsson pretty highly touted before the draft?

Karlsson is a franchise defenceman, which OTT lucked out on (or did), but it wasn't like Karlsson was a diamond in the rough.

He was 15th overall...drafted 5 spots after Cody Hodgson.

• Cheers 1

Watched Utica for the first time last night. Strange game from Springfield. Dahlen looked great, McEneny was impressive and I thought Jasek and even Palmu looked great !

Re an earlier comment on Erik Karlsson's draft expectations ( did Ottawa 'reach' to pick him ? ), here's the 'MyDraft' rankings from 2008 http://www.mynhldraft.com/2008-NHL-Mock-Draft/

• Like 1