The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Whats funny is, there is a defenseman, who also didn't make it to the NHL till his D+ 4th year, had a pretty bad +/- in his first pro year in the AHL (finishing with 0.33 PPG and -8). In his first NHL season, he had the 'awesome'  +/- of -11 and only 21 points in 81 games, at the age of 23. 
That chap, went on to win 3 Stanley Cups, one Norris Trophy and while he is in decline now, is still playing in the NHL at a decent level. His name ? Duncan Keith. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What stan....no "paucity of data" quotes here that Dahlen will be no good like you say about Virtanen??  Come on.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What stan....no "paucity of data" quotes here that Dahlen will be no good like you say about Virtanen??  Come on.

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Whats funny is, there is a defenseman, who also didn't make it to the NHL till his D+ 4th year, had a pretty bad +/- in his first pro year in the AHL (finishing with 0.33 PPG and -8). In his first NHL season, he had the 'awesome'  +/- of -11 and only 21 points in 81 games, at the age of 23. 
That chap, went on to win 3 Stanley Cups, one Norris Trophy and while he is in decline now, is still playing in the NHL at a decent level. His name ? Duncan Keith. 

Yeah, Dan Boyle and Giordano have similar stories.  

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

nobody said Virtanen will be no good. Your comprehension sucks, dude. I said so far, he is not very good. And yeah, lets compare development of forwards with defensemen...smart. 

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

nobody said Virtanen will be no good. Your comprehension sucks, dude. I said so far, he is not very good. And yeah, lets compare development of forwards with defensemen...smart. 

:rolleyes:

You have reading and writing challenges bro.  Your ability to communicate is at a C- level mate.  :picard:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I mean I’d rather win than be tough....

You can be both, I don't think we should need anyone telling us that as Canucks fans.

Hockey isn't a game that's policed well at all, if teams know they can take liberties without repercussions they will. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fwiw a similar play happened to Burrows' team in Laval.  The other 4 guys on the ice got benched for the rest of the game.  They called it unacceptable - 'you play as a team you stand up as a team'.  They weren't asking them to fight but they can't just skate away as if nothing happened when their teammate gets crushed right in front of them.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

You can be both, I don't think we should need anyone telling us that as Canucks fans.

Hockey isn't a game that's policed well at all, if teams know they can take liberties without repercussions they will. 

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Teams that aren't tough don't win

8 hours ago, mll said:

Fwiw a similar play happened to Burrows' team in Laval.  The other 4 guys on the ice got benched for the rest of the game.  They called it unacceptable - 'you play as a team you stand up as a team'.  They weren't asking them to fight but they can't just skate away as if nothing happened when their teammate gets crushed right in front of them.  

I have no problem with a team being tough.  BUT if I had to choose I’d take winning over being ‘tough’.  

I do agree the two often go together but there’s a thin line between what some posters seem to think of as being tough and just being goons. 

• Wat 1

14 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Our motto is get'em back on the PP.  Winning is what shows true toughness. ......  God I can't believe people can actually say that and mean it

The Comets won 5 - 2.  I think there was a bit of time for some one to pay him back for breaking Sautner; nose, jaw and cheek bone on a dirty hit 2 games ago and knocking Dahlen out cold and out of the game.

8 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

The Comets won 5 - 2.  I think there was a bit of time for some one to pay him back for breaking Sautner; nose, jaw and cheek bone on a dirty hit 2 games ago and knocking Dahlen out cold and out of the game.

Who did you have in mind to do that? The Comet's don't have an Andre Pedan type player on the roster anymore, the only ones close to matching Tangratti size wise  would be Archibald, Brendan Woods or Zack McEwen. fwiw... Tangratti fought Gudbranson back in 2012 and went down with Guddy on top (and Guddy was only 20 back then). Not much of a fight.... over in 5 seconds lol.

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Who did you have in mind to do that? The Comet's don't have an Andre Pedan type player on the roster anymore, the only ones close to matching Tangratti size wise  would be Archibald, Brendan Woods or Zack McEwen. fwiw... Tangratti fought Gudbranson back in 2012 and went down with Guddy on top (and Guddy was only 20 back then). Not much of a fight.... over in 5 seconds lol.

I think Archie or Mac should have done something.  Are you saying we have no one who can stand up for a  friend.  Remember when Hamomic took Guddy or Krug fought Archie against Boston.  Just because you are smaller doesn't mean you don't stick-up fur your team mate.  I thought that was how we play the game.:gocan:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

I think Archie or Mac should have done something.  Are you saying we have no one who can stand up for a  friend.  Remember when Hamomic took Guddy or Krug fought Archie against Boston.  Just because you are smaller doesn't mean you don't stick-up fur your team mate.  I thought that was how we play the game.:gocan:

Not at all. The ones on the Comets that should have challenged him .... didn't.  There are lots of players on the Comets team that shy away from that sort of thing especially if they see the perceived tough guys on the team doing nothing. In fairness to Brendan Woods, he is out with an injury. He and Archibald should be the go to guys when @#$% like that goes on. Big Mac is still young but might need to take a bit of this mantle on as well. Brendan Gaunce is an enigma as he has the size and is quite capable of holding his own in a scrap but he is a gentle giant type....Clark Gillies comes to mind..... gotta slap him upside the head a couple of times to get him going.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

You mean win one game but lose a valuable player for twenty?  And then lose another for another long spell?  And so on.  Now that sounds like the Canucks, half the talent on the sideline and the other half having to worry about being taken advantage of by any dolt whenever the talent is vulnerable.  If you are going to allow other teams to predate on your teammates, you shouldn’t be surprised when it’s your turn, and you shouldn’t be surprised when your best players spend long stretches recovering from injury.

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not at all. The ones on the Comets that should have challenged him .... didn't.  There are lots of players on the Comets team that shy away from that sort of thing especially if they see the perceived tough guys on the team doing nothing. In fairness to Brendan Woods, he is out with an injury. He and Archibald should be the go to guys when @#$% like that goes on. Big Mac is still young but might need to take a bit of this mantle on as well. Brendan Gaunce is an enigma as he has the size and is quite capable of holding his own in a scrap but he is a gentle giant type....Clark Gillies comes to mind..... gotta slap him upside the head a couple of times to get him going.

If the organization is not going to reward players who protect their teammates, then they shouldn’t be surprised when players only play for themselves.

7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You mean win one game but lose a valuable player for twenty?  And then lose another for another long spell?  And so on.  Now that sounds like the Canucks, half the talent on the sideline and the other half having to worry about being taken advantage of by any dolt whenever the talent is vulnerable.  If you are going to allow other teams to predate on your teammates, you shouldn’t be surprised when it’s your turn, and you shouldn’t be surprised when your best players spend long stretches recovering from injury.

No that’s not what I meant at all.... but thanks for assuming :shock:

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I'd rather a promising prospect not break his hand or suffer a concussion from a fight.