The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

18 hours ago, mll said:

This was the hit:

Doesn’t really look like a malicious hit from this angle. Dahlen should be able to protect himself better in those situations at this level. I guess you don’t expect guys to finish their checks in Sweden? If he doesn’t figure this out, he is going to have a rough time making the bigs.

The league begs to differ - three game suspension for this hit.  This guy is a repeat, repeat, repeat offender.  He was also suspended in April for a nasty cross check.  He was also suspended for 3 games in Dec 2015 for an illegal hit to the head.  He was also given a 5 minute major for boarding on a vicious hit to the face that took out Sautner earlier this year - Sautner is still out.

25 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The league begs to differ - three game suspension for this hit.  This guy is a repeat, repeat, repeat offender.  He was also suspended in April for a nasty cross check.  He was also suspended for 3 games in Dec 2015 for an illegal hit to the head.  He was also given a 5 minute major for boarding on a vicious hit to the face that took out Sautner earlier this year - Sautner is still out.

Hey, remember when everyone want EP40 to spend sometime down there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Not saying it doesn’t but definitely more frequent in the AHL

The lower the league, the more the goonery.  The vast majority of the lower leagues' teams are in small town USA, where they think hockey is like the movie Slap Shot, and expect WWE like entertainment.  Maybe a lot of European guys stay home because of the stupidity going on these "so called" developmental leagues. 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:46 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

same asshole who broke Sautner's face with his elbow.

Tangradi better keep his head up because when we play him next, there are going to be some hell to pay

You think?  I wouldn't hold my breath

It is the spineless NHL and AHL in cahoots with the Players Association that are the root of the problem.

There should be a more draconian approach.  

if any player, regardless of circumstances, causes a concussion to another player, he shall be suspended - without pay - for 40 games, including playoff games and carried forward if applicable to the following season

that would stop the headhunting in a heartbeat.

(Obviously there would need to be some fine print - like the "concussed" player going on IR - to avoid teams gaming the system. 10 mins in the quiet room wouldn't qualify, for instance)

Edited by Googlie

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

It is the spineless NHL and AHL in cahoots with the Players Association that are the root of the problem.

if any player, regardless of circumstances, causes a concussion to another player, he shall be suspended - without pay - for 40 games, including playoff games and carried forward if applicable to the following season

(Obviously there would need to be some fine print - like the "concussed" player going on IR - to avoid teams gaming the system. 10 mins in the quiet room wouldn't qualify, for instance)

Ridiculous suggestion. So in your world, if Elias Pettersson accidentally concusses Johnny Gaudreau he gets suspended 40 games "regardless of circumstance". Haha silly suggestion and not well thought out at all.

• Upvote 2

The thing that bothers me about the AHL is that they do not seem to have a system in place to deal with repeat offenders and a set minimum number of games suspended that is increased for each repeat offense that occurs over a specified time length. I state the "minimum" as a guideline only; as the severity of the offense would determine the actual number above that if the situation warranted it. Any one else have some thoughts on this?

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yes, it would surely stop headhunting, but I think it would probably put an end to most hitting altogether.  Hockey is so fast and physical that a concussion can be the result of a clean hit, turned ugly due to the 'victim' dropping his shoulder or changing direction.  The initial action is too quick to redirect in time to nullify the hit.  There is no fault or intent in these situations.  In the majority of cases, intent to cause injury is not factor.

I think most players would seriously ease off on hits, rather than face a 40 game suspension.

Now if you're talking about guys like Tom Wilson, who have had several violations (and very dangerous plays), then yeah...throw the book at them.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ridiculous suggestion. So in your world, if Elias Pettersson accidentally concusses Johnny Gaudreau he gets suspended 40 games "regardless of circumstance". Haha silly suggestion and not well thought out at all.

Under what circumstances would EP concuss Johnny Gaudreau?

• Wat 2

48 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Under what circumstances would EP concuss Johnny Gaudreau?

Read your post again Googlie. YOU said "REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCES"!!!!

Lol. That is why your post was so silly to begin with. It seems you don't even understand it lmao.  :picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

I was at a Bantam game on the weekend. A player lost his edge and fell coming in to check a player at centre ice, the other player was flipped and landed on his head/neck and laid motionless on the ice for over 20 minutes waiting for the paramedics to arrive. They stabilized the young boy, took him off the ice on a stretcher and transported to the hospital. He was diagnosed with a severe concussion and a sprained neck.

This same scenario could happen any time in the NHL and I can't see any possible justification for a penalty, let alone a suspension. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Is there actual information that backs this claim up? There have been plenty of bad hits and concussions just this season alone in the NHL.

I went web surfing to try and find some but failed. Not that I spent that much time looking.

Saying there are more concussions in the AHL than the NHL is just one of those things posters seem to type without any actual proof. They like to assume it is more of a goon league. Not sure why...watching the movie "Goon" too many times?? lol

Tom Wilson himself hands out plenty of concussions in the NHL. I doubt the AHL has higher numbers but would love it if someone actually has stats.