The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

44 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No Dahlen is just another overrated, undersized winger.  Ottawa gave him to us for Burrows for a reason, remember that.

Just like the Sharks gave us Linus Karlsson for a reason, I'd imagine...

Doug Wilson is no dummy. I like JB but I really don't see the logic for this trade, but ah well, let's hope it works out for everybody.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:06 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. If you go back, you'll probably see me posting a fair amount of concern and disappointment about Dahlén's development with him going to Timrå rather than taking the next step (whether AHL or SHL).

He definitely needs to play at a higher level and show he can still be an impact player.

But we are where we are. And while it's not ideal, at least what he's doing this season translates fairly well to future NHL success, at least when you're talking stats and models.

Obviously these are projections and nowhere close to guarantees. And I believe most of the models would currently peg him as having a <50% chance of actually reaching those projections (just because the pool of successful comparables is smaller in Allsvenskan vs. if he was producing well in the AHL or SHL).

I'm optimistic but I'm nowhere close to ready to call him a "lock" to be an NHL player. And he's definitely not in the Pettersson category. Dahlén is more of a good "B" grade prospect than an "A" grade bluechipper, with middle-six projections, and an maybe outside chance of hitting a higher level.

He definitely has a lot more to prove. But I don't think his current season is hurting his chances, given all the factors, and I remain optimistic that we'll eventually end up with a pretty good NHL player in Dahlén.

I recall you and I were two of those not convinced he would 'get there' but wanted to keep our optimism.   I was less sure only as I had benefit of seeing him play live at that point.   I am not surprised at all he has crashed out of three NHL organizations now.

• 3 months later...

If anyone is still intrested in whats happening to dahlen here is some updates, 2 games into The season in Allsvenskan he is 3G3A 6TP and 2GWG

In The first home game he was honoured by The fans with this 

IMG_20190922_145624.jpg

The bottom line says 

"to foster heroes with passion" 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Is Timra a top team in the Allsvenskan again? Could he bring them back to the SHL like he did the season before coming to North America?

Yes, it is a possibility but going up to The shl is pretty much like winning The conference, everything has to fall in place AT The right time. At the moment Timrå is in third place after 4w 2otw and 1l 

Just now, Timråfan said:

@Dazzle

Use this thread if you want to discuss Dahlen. 

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Dahlen shouldn't have played in Utica... Plain and simple. Bad coaches and too much difference in culture. 

Dahlen wanted a change, not a trade. 

Loyalty should be honoured by you. Utica isn't Canucks... Timrå is his heart and soul. With the right coaches Canucks could have been his heart and soul also. But you seem to go after the shiny armor that is empty on the inside. 

Nobody put a gun to his head to go to Utica. He chose to try. It didn't work out for both sides.

I still believe Dahlen should hire you as his agent. Clearly, J.P. Barry, one of the most experienced hockey agents/agency out there by a long hockey mile, couldn't even talk Dahlen out of making a stupid mistake. This "change" you speak of, is very vague. The player adapts to the circumstances around him - not the other way around.

So here we are. At this point, Dahlen is worth as little as Ho-Sang. We clearly won the trade when we got rid of him, sad to say.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Nobody put a gun to his head to go to Utica. He chose to try. It didn't work out for both sides.

I still believe Dahlen should hire you as his agent. Clearly, J.P. Barry, one of the most experienced hockey agents/agency out there by a long hockey mile, couldn't even talk Dahlen out of making a stupid mistake. This "change" you speak of, is very vague. The player adapts to the circumstances around him - not the other way around.

So here we are. At this point, Dahlen is worth as little as Ho-Sang. We clearly won the trade when we got rid of him, sad to say.

So, what do you know exactly what has been said between the different parts? 

Just now, Timråfan said:

So, what do you know exactly what has been said between the different parts? 

We've gone over this many times. I've copied and pasted articles that have rejected your claims. The fact that you blatantly avoid a discussion and proceed to repeat what you said is why this discussion doesn't "go anywhere".

Ball's in your court if you want to keep going.

Dahlen is an undersized star player playing in a league lower in quality than the AHL but perhaps better than the ECHL. He is flourishing in his home country, with his home language, with home cooking and a cult following in Timra. Vancouver did nothing wrong in attempting to prepare him to play in the best league in the world. That he could not meet the challenge of earning his way onto an NHL roster makes it pretty clear that he lacks the tenacity and drive to play up to his obviously better than average skill set. He is likely to stay in Sweden and remain a star there. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Upvote 2

2ppg so far for the Kid. I call him a Kid because he has shown great IMMATURITY while he was in NA. Unless your a top end draft pick, when you come over you likely need to adjust to the smaller ice surface and play in the AHL. Put your head down, shut up and work hard. Does it suck to not be the "MAN" and not have that talented of players to play with...of course it does! But that should be extra motivation to work even harder to get out of the Minors and EARN a Call Up to the NHL.

I think Dahlen needs to mature, he will get another shot in the NHL but it's likely not going to be gifted to him. 31 teams have seen how he has faired in NA. Maybe Seattle signs him as a UFA?

Either way, I was disappointed that we couldn't see what Dahlen and Elias P could do together in the NHL. Slim chance, but maybe there is hope he trains hard chats it up with EP during the off season and is willing to give it a proper kick at the can in NA again.

Just like Rodin, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back to the Canucks. He would have to come to camp and work his tail off, even then he might need to go to Utica for a bit. But take that like a MAN and work your tail off, do everything in your control to FORCE an NHL call up...it won't be gifted to you.

Best of luck JD, hope you move up to the SHL then when your ready to give 110% come back to NA and see if you can crack an NHL roster

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, Canuckster86 said:

2ppg so far for the Kid. I call him a Kid because he has shown great IMMATURITY while he was in NA. Unless your a top end draft pick, when you come over you likely need to adjust to the smaller ice surface and play in the AHL. Put your head down, shut up and work hard. Does it suck to not be the "MAN" and not have that talented of players to play with...of course it does! But that should be extra motivation to work even harder to get out of the Minors and EARN a Call Up to the NHL.

I think Dahlen needs to mature, he will get another shot in the NHL but it's likely not going to be gifted to him. 31 teams have seen how he has faired in NA. Maybe Seattle signs him as a UFA?

Either way, I was disappointed that we couldn't see what Dahlen and Elias P could do together in the NHL. Slim chance, but maybe there is hope he trains hard chats it up with EP during the off season and is willing to give it a proper kick at the can in NA again.

Just like Rodin, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back to the Canucks. He would have to come to camp and work his tail off, even then he might need to go to Utica for a bit. But take that like a MAN and work your tail off, do everything in your control to FORCE an NHL call up...it won't be gifted to you.

Best of luck JD, hope you move up to the SHL then when your ready to give 110% come back to NA and see if you can crack an NHL roster

I really hope Utica doesn't have a Babcock running the show. If so you got the answer about Dahlen, Palmu...