The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

2 hours ago, manroth19 said:

Just love how burrows went from buyout material last year into this. 

He's got the spirit of a Lion, proved it over and over. OTT GM is paying attention.

My early impressions are that we won't have nothing to show for Burrows, meaning he'll be an NHLer, the pedigree helps. I was always a fan of Ulf Dahlen, we saw him quite a bit in Vancouver as he was a long time Shark (edit: Ulf played not as much as I though with SJ)

Here's a link to Ulf Dahlens Statistics. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1226

Stats are similar to Vrbata, although I'm not at all saying there similar in the way they play(ed).

Edited by Western Red

45 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Love that the kid despite being 5'11'' and 180lbs, he plays in the high traffic areas.

Look at his highlights, he isn't scoring just from the perimeter and off the rush, but a lot of his goals/plays are down right beside the goal line and in front of the net.  Shows the kids fearlessness despite his size.  He isn't getting manhandled either, looks like he has a strong lower body.

See a little bit of Robby Fabbri in him. Not meaning this as a projection (yet anyway) but just stylistically.

Also reading some reports that his skating has improved already (compared to when most of the draft bios were written).

For what it's worth, the TSN 1040 guys just said the same (re: his improved skating). But I've heard the same from a couple people I actually trust (more than Donnie and the Moj) on these things. ;) 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding. People need to realize he's still a work in progress.

He has lots of potential for sure, but lets not start guaranteeing anything here.

Well, the same can be said for any prospect, especially one this young.

I think there's genuine reason for excitement here.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Well, the same can be said for any prospect, especially one this young.

I think there's genuine reason for excitement here.

Excitement? Absolutely! But to say he's "much better than Nylander" and the "heir to the Sedins" is overkill in the excitement department. Next year will be the real test for Dahlen when he joins the SweHL or the AHL. Then we will really know what we have to work with. If he can continue to put up a point-per-game pace in either of those leagues then we can start overblown projections - ie. the next Filip Forsberg. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, HomeBrew said:

Excitement? Absolutely! But to say he's "much better than Nylander" and the "heir to the Sedins" is overkill in the excitement department. Next year will be the real test for Dahlen when he joins the SweHL or the AHL. Then we will really know what we have to work with. If he can continue to put up a point-per-game pace in either of those leagues then we can start overblown projections - ie. the next Filip Forsberg. 

Lol. Who's saying that? xD

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Next page over. That's who I was referring to.

Making claims like he's better than Nylander is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Just saw it.

While I'm over the moon about this deal, saying he's "better than" a player that has 43 points in 60 games in the NHL is lunacy.

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Stop fixating on size everyone.

McDavid is 6 foot 1 190 pounds

Crosby is 5 foot 11 and was drafted at 172 pounds.

H Sedin is 6 foot 2 and about 190 pounds, was drafted at 169 pounds.

He'll put on 15-20 pounds over the next decade of lean muscle and be a solid forward if we develop him properly

Everyone from Gaudreau to Tryamkin' size are NHL Hall of Famers. An alarmingly large number of posters freak out over size. Neither Gretzky, Crosby nor McDavid have 'size' Thanks for the reminder to those who need one Warhippy.

2 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Burrows for basically a high 2016 2nd... what a coup by Benning!

Dahlen's been a point per game player at pretty much every level he's played at, with a 0.71 PPG average in the 2nd Swedish men's league over 100 games played (39-32-71), all before he turns 20 this December. AHL eligible as early as next season. Looks like a solid scoring prospect!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=212368

technically, he's AHL eligible now, unless his CHL rights are owned by someone.

6 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Everyone from Gaudreau to Tryamkin' size are NHL Hall of Famers. An alarmingly large number of posters freak out over size. Neither Gretzky, Crosby nor McDavid have 'size' Thanks for the reminder to those who need one Warhippy.

I feel people need to remember that

Ironically some of the people who have brought up size between the Burrows trade thread and here are some of the same who have decried the Virtanen pick and wanted Ehlers/Nylander instead

Size doesn't always matter and he'll grow in to his frame over time without question

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Stop fixating on size everyone.

McDavid is 6 foot 1 190 pounds

Crosby is 5 foot 11 and was drafted at 172 pounds.

H Sedin is 6 foot 2 and about 190 pounds, was drafted at 169 pounds.

He'll put on 15-20 pounds over the next decade of lean muscle and be a solid forward if we develop him properly

Marner is around the same size as well, 5'11 170 and he does everything for his team.

• Upvote 1