The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

Goldy has a lot of potential but lacks in the play without the puck. Its not about being good at defensive plays, its about creating space and helping ur teammates by something as simple as skating hard and position urself and using ur stick and body. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Goldy has a lot of potential but lacks in the play without the puck. Its not about being good at defensive plays, its about creating space and helping ur teammates by something as simple as skating hard and position urself and using ur stick and body. 

Nailed it. It's about more than just defense--it's his entire game without the puck.

• Upvote 1

Goldy is great in the offensive zone though, and his hands are among the best in the team. He definetly has good vision and a great passer. I can see him being used against certain teams and on the PP, but he still need to improve his play without the puck or there wont be any spot left for him. Its a shame if someone with his talent wont make it, because its a pretty basic thing that is lacking, but it takes a mentality and will that takes a lot from the individual. If he improves in his play wthout the puck  and keeps maturing he should stay. But it would be for the price of Baertschi, and to match baertschi hes gonna need a whole lot of improvement. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

A rather interesting commentary from Nikolay about the upcoming season and his future with the Canucks by Brady Trettenero in Canucks Army today.

I don't normally read many articles from that site (depends on the writer) but this is a decent interview.

I thought the same thing. He gave a solid interview. Maybe Eriksson could learn a thing or two from Goldy. 

• Cheers 1

Interesting comment from Goldy about his conversations with Green about being productive at the offensive end and bury his chances (lots of posts, missing the net or plain whiffing on the puck)...this combined with his deficiencies when the other team has the puck (focused on the puck rather than his man), isn't a good combination.

I think that while we've made great additions in Miller, Ferland, Pearson and Leivo it's obvious that the roster still lacks skill. So Baertschi and especially Goldy are important in that context. I would like to see 3 scoring lines with LE, Baertschi, Goldy and Leivo rotating between different lines and the press box depending on injuries etc.

Something like:

Miller - EP - Brock

Pearson - Bo - LE

Baertschi/Goldy - Sutter - Ferland

Leivo - Beagle - Motte

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/30/2019 at 11:11 AM, Pete M said:

Interesting comment from Goldy about his conversations with Green about being productive at the offensive end and bury his chances (lots of posts, missing the net or plain whiffing on the puck)...this combined with his deficiencies when the other team has the puck (focused on the puck rather than his man), isn't a good combination.

No kidding!  And if he doesn't show a dramatic increase in offensive production early this season (like in the preseason), and Benning still can't get anything for him in a trade, I'm sure they won't hesitate to put him on waivers to send him to Utica.  If he doesn't produce offensively, he's just got nothing to offer in Green's system.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

I think that while we've made great additions in Miller, Ferland, Pearson and Leivo it's obvious that the roster still lacks skill. So Baertschi and especially Goldy are important in that context. I would like to see 3 scoring lines with LE, Baertschi, Goldy and Leivo rotating between different lines and the press box depending on injuries etc.

Something like:

Miller - EP - Brock

Pearson - Bo - LE

Leivo - Beagle - Motte

I think you left your brain unplugged you put loui on the second line, let alone the team.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Something like:

Miller - EP - Brock

Pearson - Bo - LE

Leivo - Beagle - Motte

Ewww.  

LE on the second?    He is 4th line at best.  

We aren’t paying Ferland that kinda money to be a grinder on the 3rd. 

Where is Virtanen?

seriously, that’s an awful line up there. 

Ferland Petey Brock

Miller Bo Pearson

Sven Sutter Virt

Leivo Beagle Mott 

Extras. LE. Goldy

Petey and Brock get their bulldog puck chaser and protection. 

Bo finally gets his winger

Solid 3rd that can score and defend

4th is a shutdown/energy

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Ewww.  

LE on the second?    He is 4th line at best.  

We aren’t paying Ferland that kinda money to be a grinder on the 3rd. 

Where is Virtanen?

seriously, that’s an awful line up there. 

Ferland Petey Brock

Miller Bo Pearson

Sven Sutter Virt

Leivo Beagle Mott 

Extras. LE. Goldy

Petey and Brock get their bulldog puck chaser and protection. 

Bo finally gets his winger

Solid 3rd that can score and defend

4th is a shutdown/energy

While i agree with the overall tone, we are in fact paying him 3rd line money... :ph34r:

37 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I hope Goldy knows somehow how many of us are pulling for him. It sounds kinda silly that would make a difference, but he is going to have a steep hill to climb to be a regular on this team and I feel he could use all the support he can get.

I have to give Goldy credit for continuing to tough it out for a career in the NHL when it seems like there are more players who are willing to play in the KHL instead.  I guess there is a chance Goldy could refuse to report to Utica if he gets cut (assuming he doesn't get picked up on waivers) but I don't really see that happening (I'm pretty sure he'd would get picked up off waivers).  There's a glut of wingers at camp so I hope Goldy can rise to the challenge but I'm not sure how high the odds are stacked against him.  Unless Goldy really turns heads at camp, then I can see him being kept as an extra forward (perhaps the only extra forward), but even then he's in tough.