The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

36 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think guys like Goldobin and Dahlen will replace Vanek and Eriksson next season 

Sorry to burst your bubble but we still have four more years of Eriksson after this year...honestly if I were Benning Id trade him for whatever someone would give me or Id knock off 60%salary and ask for a good prospect. Even though Eriksson's had a bad year and a bit he still holds some value.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but we still have four more years of Eriksson after this year...honestly if I were Benning Id trade him for whatever someone would give me or Id knock off 60%salary and ask for a good prospect. Even though Eriksson's had a bad year and a bit he still holds some value.

Eriksson's contact is quite tradeable the last 2 years actually. 

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Worst come to worst, we can buy him out at some point.  

He's our worst headache, contract-wise, and that's really not that bad of a situation to be in.

On 26/10/2017 at 2:13 PM, Gollumpus said:

Not really the point I was making, but okay.

Goldobin was likely playing against lesser opposition than the Sedins, he was getting less ice time per game (if I recall), and (going back to my original point) he played in only a handful of games. If you believe your comparison can stand one of 82 games vs only 12 then fine.

Rodin played only 3 games with the Canucks last year, and he was a +1. I guess that makes him better than Goldobin? Horvat was a -7 last season, so hemust be a liability. And Granlund was a -19, so he really must suck, right?

regards,  G.

Rodin's issue is being hurt so much of the time he has been - we don't know how good he is, and you can't play a guy that is injured.  Another goal and two assists for Goldobin tonight.  The sample size grows, but that is not really the test, the test is how he has been playing - having watched the Utica games, that would be very well and better defensively and in puck pursuit.  Fortunately for the Sedins, they have a kid propping them up - it would have been a waste to have Granlund with them - his talents are better used elsewhere.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:00 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

Rodin's issue is being hurt so much of the time he has been - we don't know how good he is, and you can't play a guy that is injured.  Another goal and two assists for Goldobin tonight.  The sample size grows, but that is not really the test, the test is how he has been playing - having watched the Utica games, that would be very well and better defensively and in puck pursuit.  Fortunately for the Sedins, they have a kid propping them up - it would have been a waste to have Granlund with them - his talents are better used elsewhere.

I acknowledge this, that Granlund is a valuable checker for this team. This being said, he showed last season that he can also be a very good offensive player. :)

The thought around him between seasons, is that he would be a good fit with the Sedins. He could supply them with the puck and then head to the front of the net, but also that he was fast enough to be able to look after the defensive responsibilities should his line lose possession, and he was a second center. It could be argued that him playing on a different line (most of the time) means that the overall team scoring goes down; Granlund's goal scoring capability is reduced with his heavier defensive responsibilities, and that the Sedin line scores less with Virtanen (who continues to improve).

regards,  G.

9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I acknowledge this, that Granlund is a valuable checker for this team. This being said, he showed last season that he can also be a very good offensive player. :)

The thought around him between seasons, is that he would be a good fit with the Sedins. He could supply them with the puck and then head to the front of the net, but also that he was fast enough to be able to look after the defensive responsibilities should his line lose possession, and he was a second center. It could be argued that him playing on a different line (most of the time) means that the overall team scoring goes down; Granlund's goal scoring capability is reduced with his heavier defensive responsibilities, and that the Sedin line scores less with Virtanen (who continues to improve).

regards,  G.

I can't argue with Granlund being good for the Sedins, he is, but does he have a higher value elsewhere?  I believe he does, and apparently, so does Green - whose is the opinion that matters, of course - and, if results are the proof, then I'd have to say that Green's inspiration was inspired. it is often the case that when guys are given defensive roles, but also the minutes that go with checking the other team's top unit, that their offence picks up after a while (I am reminded of Kesler here) - I think that will be the case with Granlund, and their line does play a lot of their defence in the offensive zone.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I can't argue with Granlund being good for the Sedins, he is, but does he have a higher value elsewhere?  I believe he does, and apparently, so does Green - whose is the opinion that matters, of course - and, if results are the proof, then I'd have to say that Green's inspiration was inspired. it is often the case that when guys are given defensive roles, but also the minutes that go with checking the other team's top unit, that their offence picks up after a while (I am reminded of Kesler here) - I think that will be the case with Granlund, and their line does play a lot of their defence in the offensive zone.

Yup. As I mentioned, the Granlund talk to which I was referring, was based on his last year's results with the Sedin's and that there weren't any reasonable alternatives at that time. This talk was during the summer when there was as yet no Vanek on board, some were suggesting Sutter as the RW, and Virtanen had yet to show a capacity to fit with the Sedin's, or that he was even going to make the team for this year.

So while Green has viable options now, they were still somewhat unclear just a few months ago.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I'm hopeful. If Sedins move on next year there will be a big opportunity for him. 

Yes. An opportunity is important, specially for a Goldobin type of player. He looks like he needs a top six role or other offensive players around him to be effective. I think there's a good chance he succeeds with us because of his offensive ability and appears to be the type of Russian player that is motivated to make a career in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

He was just on Instagram Live and someone commented "don't go to KHL".

Goldobin chuckled and said anything can happen, that's life. 

Someone asked if he keeps in contact with Tryamkin, Goldy said yes.

Someone tells him to tell Tryamkin to come back, Goldy said "hahaha don't think so, not for 2-3 years" (or something like that) 

Cool to see him interacting with fans :)

3 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

Someone tells him to tell Tryamkin to come back, Goldy said "hahaha don't think so, not for 2-3 years" (or something like that) 

All he needs is a Canadian GF and he will be ours for the whole of his career. ::D

12 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

Yeah it seems like he has a good head on his shoulders which is a nice thing to have on a Russian player.