The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

On 11/7/2017 at 7:01 AM, peaches5 said:

I disagree. The Sedin's are done after this year unless they start playing a hell of a lot better. They have not looked good this year at all. They show some glimpses of their old selves but they're mainly a liability out there.

Nothing wrong with how they are playing, they are still effective when deployed appropriately. They aren't being relied upon to generate 70% of our offense this year, and their playing time is being largely adjusted based on who we are playing against and the speed of the opposing lineup.

Decision to resign them and whether they want to push for another season will probably remain with them, as it should. If they feel they can still add something to this team, they are a good influence on the young players, and I think players like Virtanen are having a good influence on them and creating a situation where they can still succeed.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:37 AM, aGENT said:

Just don't see it happening. This year's the retirement tour IMO.

Time will tell, but I think the decision will be left up to them. Right now, when you put them out there with Virtanen, they look better than they have in a couple of years. His speed and their passing skills make a good combination, and hopefully some other good habits rub off on Jake.

30 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Time will tell, but I think the decision will be left up to them. Right now, when you put them out there with Virtanen, they look better than they have in a couple of years. His speed and their passing skills make a good combination, and hopefully some other good habits rub off on Jake.

His speed certainly helps them out but I personally don't see them as a terribly good fit. They've created almost nothing on the cycle with him on their line as he's a North/South player and they're very much East/West. They've had to adjust their games to creating off the rush to suit that. And while they've managed some chances and even goals (see: last night) off of that, it should be fairly obvious to anyone watching, it's an ill fit. 

It's also pretty clear how the team wants to play the game moving forward. Fast, attacking, speed, hard, counter punching.... these aren't exactly Sedin traits, Gordie bless them. Nobody's denying their obvious leadership etc attributes but they're holding the team back from playing how management and coaching would prefer to play.

There's also the issue of not particularly needing them to fill roster spots next year. We've already arguably got 'too many' forwards this year and there's a pretty good chance one or two more kids (including namesake of this thread) will be ready next year plus the possibility of signing Kane this summer. Not a lot of room at the inn and it's frankly, time to move on.

Edited by aGENT

On 2017-11-07 at 8:01 AM, peaches5 said:

I disagree. The Sedin's are done after this year unless they start playing a hell of a lot better. They have not looked good this year at all. They show some glimpses of their old selves but they're mainly a liability out there.

I strongly suspect unless they pick things up significantly this year then they'll probably retire 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

His speed certainly helps them out but I personally don't see them as a terribly good fit. They've created almost nothing on the cycle with him on their line as he's a North/South player and they're very much East/West. They've had to adjust their games to creating off the rush to suit that. And while they've managed some chances and even goals (see: last night) off of that, it should be fairly obvious to anyone watching, it's an ill fit. 

It's also pretty clear how the team wants to play the game moving forward. Fast, attacking, speed, hard, counter punching.... these aren't exactly Sedin traits, Gordie bless them. Nobody's denying their obvious leadership etc attributes but they're holding the team back from playing how management and coaching would prefer to play.

There's also the issue of not particularly needing them to fill roster spots next year. We've already arguably got 'too many' forwards this year and there's a pretty good chance one or two more kids (including namesake of this thread) will be ready next year plus the possibility of signing Kane this summer. Not a lot of room at the inn and it's frankly, time to move on.

My personal take on it is, that this is an adjustment that they have to make to stay in the league and be effective. They have never been overly fast skaters, but they are strong skaters. I think this combination is still evolving and that they are still learning how to best benefit from Virtanen's speed and adapting their game to it.

Time will tell on whether this works or not.

As for the other kids coming in, they have to force their way onto the lineup to be there.

As I said in another thread, I could be completely wrong, but what I get from Benning and Linden's management style and their respect for Daniel and Henrik, they will let them decide if they want to do another year or call it a career. I think this is partially because Benning really likes to have that veteran experience in the lineup. If they do retire, I expect that Benning will go shopping for another experienced player or two on July 1st to fill the gap.

As for Goldobin, I thought his most effective time with the Canucks was when he was playing with the Sedins.

18 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Trent Cull really giving Goldobin some confidence as he has been relying heavily on him for the start of the season.  1st unit PP and PK mins and now called upon to bring leadership

At first glance it seems like a way of getting him more involved in team dynamics.

• Like 1