The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Liking what Goldy is saying. Hopefully he follows through with it. He has the talent.

I really hope he can make it, once the other teams have had to put their top defenders on Boeser and Pettersson, Goldy might get a lot of great chances and he's shown flashes of being a great sniper. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really hope he can make it, once the other teams have had to put their top defenders on Boeser and Pettersson, Goldy might get a lot of great chances and he's shown flashes of being a great sniper. 

I have hopes for Goldy too, but really don't think he skates well enough to be a top NHL scorer.  If he had some sandpaper in his game (making it harder for the other team to move about) then I think he could carve out a career as a solid third line guy.  He could chip in 15 or so goals, while being a good defensive player, and taking some harder to play minutes from the top guys.  I just don't see that willingness to do the hard work (in the D side of the puck) in his make-up.  

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I have hopes for Goldy too, but really don't think he skates well enough to be a top NHL scorer.  If he had some sandpaper in his game (making it harder for the other team to move about) then I think he could carve out a career as a solid third line guy.  He could chip in 15 or so goals, while being a good defensive player, and taking some harder to play minutes from the top guys.  I just don't see that willingness to do the hard work (in the D side of the puck) in his make-up.  

I think its top 6 or KHL for Goldy, I don't see him ever being a 3rd line fit (well maybe on a Willie D squad :lol:). I really think he picked his game up at the end of last year and if he really followed the Canucks training plan he could be that secondary scoring threat we haven't had much of for a while now. The only thing that concerns me about his offseason is what he did on Saturday and Sunday in Moscow....

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its top 6 or KHL for Goldy, I don't see him ever being a 3rd line fit (well maybe on a Willie D squad :lol:). I really think he picked his game up at the end of last year and if he really followed the Canucks training plan he could be that secondary scoring threat we haven't had much of for a while now. The only thing that concerns me about his offseason is what he did on Saturday and Sunday in Moscow....

Green recently interviewed on SN said specifically:

We have a good amount of prospects who have a real good chance to play in the NHL (eventually). And we have to make sure we do right by them and make sure we put them into areas where they can succeed and develop into the right player in the right situation. We don’t want a high-end skill player to have to play those hard, grinding minutes (on the fourth line) where they might not succeed.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-coach-green-impressive-prospects-linden-ownership/

If Green is true to this then one would think that Goldy would not be playing in any way on a 'checking' line and or a 'grinding line' - meaning basically he's top 6 (or nine maybe) or pressbox, or.......? 

• Upvote 1

Those are promising words from Goldobin, really like his attitude this year. If the Canucks get improvement from Hutton, Virtanen and Goldobin like we think, and they bring in Pettersson and Dahlen, and with a full year from a hungry Boeser - the Canucks could be scoring a lot of goals this year. I'm sure they'll all score more than Henrik did last year.

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those are promising words from Goldobin, really like his attitude this year. If the Canucks get improvement from Hutton, Virtanen and Goldobin like we think, and they bring in Pettersson and Dahlen, and with a full year from a hungry Boeser - the Canucks could be scoring a lot of goals this year. I'm sure they'll all score more than Henrik did last year.

Perhaps Hutton aside, I should hope they all score at least 4 goals or they don't deserve to be on the team!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The highlighted comment sounds like his main competition for a spot on the team - Leipsic.

I'm not a big fan, but I will wait and see how he does this year.  This summer seems to be the first offseason that he has truly worked hard on improving his weaknesses  and taken his conditioning seriously.  With any luck, we just might see a much improved Goldy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The highlighted comment sounds like his main competition for a spot on the team - Leipsic.

I'm not a big fan, but I will wait and see how he does this year.  This summer seems to be the first offseason that he has truly worked hard on improving his weaknesses  and taken his conditioning seriously.  With any luck, we just might see a much improved Goldy.

I think one of Green's strengths, as far as I can tell in the time he's been in the Canucks organization - is getting through to the players EXACTLY what each of them need to do/improve to get to the next level.  What they do with that information exactly is entirely up to them however.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think one area the coaching staff would be happy with is his puck battles along the boards.  No one is expecting him to to crash and bang, but if he can help the team come out with the puck more consistently I think that would be great.  More consistent puck pressure and a good stick could give him that breathing room he needs to chip in offensively.  

I'd love to see Goldy make some strides like other younger guys have.  Hopefully that improvement has become infectious among the younger group.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Ill be pucken pissed if we had to waive Goldobin and guys like Gagner and Eriksson are still on the roster.

All three are totally different players with totally different roles assume Goldy makes NHL roster.   None of them are plug/play for one another at all.   A comparable and who Goldy is competing with for a spot in Canuck lineup are likes of Leipsic, Dahlen and perhaps Baer.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Ill be pucken pissed if we had to waive Goldobin and guys like Gagner and Eriksson are still on the roster.

I'll be pucken pissed if guys like Goldobin waste the golden opportunity sitting on a platter in front of him by not doing the work required to show up and take one of those guys jobs/push them down the roster. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

somewhere, Gagner is going full Rocky Balboa in the weight room with a photo of Goldy in front of him lol

As should Leipsic, Baer and somewhat Granlund (though he's likely got Gaudette to worry more about).

And they should all (Goldy included) have this guy's photo up in front of them:

dahlenscreen-shot-2018-03-18-at-5-09-52-

• Upvote 1