The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] John Tavares Potential Free Agency

Very hypothetical situation here. 

According to Cap Friendly, the Canucks are on schedule to have around $43 million in cap space by the end on the 2017-18 season. Now of course, that space includes players that have to be signed to deals at the end of this season as well. So essentially, we have $43 million to extend Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi, the Sedins, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Stecher, Miller and any depth players (Gaunce, Boucher etc.)

This is also the time that John Tavares is set to become a UFA, barring him signing an extension with the Isles, which is very likely. Given the budget that we have to spend on coking up our current players, what kind of contract would you be comfortable offering John Tavares to play in Vancouver?

20 minutes ago, Sopes4Life said:

According to Cap Friendly, the Canucks are on schedule to have around $43 million in cap space by the end on the 2017-18 season. Now of course, that space includes players that have to be signed to deals at the end of this season as well. So essentially, we have $43 million to extend Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi, the Sedins, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Stecher, Miller and any depth players (Gaunce, Boucher etc.)

This is also the time that John Tavares is set to become a UFA, barring him signing an extension with the Isles, which is very likely. Given the budget that we have to spend on coking up our current players, what kind of contract would you be comfortable offering John Tavares to play in Vancouver?

Hmm. There are a lot of contracts there, but I'm betting Horvat gets about $6M per at least. Gudbranson will probably want a raise, though his play doesn't merit a huge one. Maybe around $4.5M per or something. Tryamkin may demand $2-3M per year I'd say. If Miller re-signs it won't be for much less than he's currently getting, if less at all. The twins would probably re-sign for $5M-$6M on short deals. Granlund and Baertschi's contracts will depend heavily on whether either bursts out even more next year. As it is now, I'd see them getting $3-4.5M per year. Stecher's prospective deal is about the same as Tryamkin's. 

Given my rough estimations, we'd have $6.5M maximum available. I'd guess Tavares will cost around $10M per year, so we're not real close there. Ditching Miller is fairly plausible though (or just signing him to a 1-year deal) and that would clear up 6M in my calculations, giving us 12.5M if everyone signs for the lowest I prediction possible. Honestly, it's a long shot for us to have that much space available.

4 hours ago, Sopes4Life said:

2b7.jpg

5 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Hmm. There are a lot of contracts there, but I'm betting Horvat gets about $6M per at least. Gudbranson will probably want a raise, though his play doesn't merit a huge one. Maybe around $4.5M per or something. Tryamkin may demand $2-3M per year I'd say. If Miller re-signs it won't be for much less than he's currently getting, if less at all. The twins would probably re-sign for $5M-$6M on short deals. Granlund and Baertschi's contracts will depend heavily on whether either bursts out even more next year. As it is now, I'd see them getting $3-4.5M per year. Stecher's prospective deal is about the same as Tryamkin's. 

Given my rough estimations, we'd have $6.5M maximum available. I'd guess Tavares will cost around $10M per year, so we're not real close there. Ditching Miller is fairly plausible though (or just signing him to a 1-year deal) and that would clear up 6M in my calculations, giving us 12.5M if everyone signs for the lowest I prediction possible. Honestly, it's a long shot for us to have that much space available.

You forget players that will be coming off the books such as Tanev, Edler and Sbisa. One or more of will probably be traded. The Sedins might resign but that would be at a discount. Dorsett will come off the books sooner or later. And so on and so forth. The real issue is going to be what happens with Luongos contract. That contract has the ability to completely screw us over.

9 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Vancouver is probably near the end of Tavares' list. Why would he want to come to a rebuilding team on the West Coast with a horrendous travel schedule.

I think JB would be stupid not to try and get Tavares when he becomes a UFA in 2018-19.

Both Sedins will also be UFAs, and there is no need to resign them (certainly not at $5-6m!).

JB could offer JT a $12m deal. That might be the only reason why JT might say yes to Vancity...

It's a nice thought, but Tavares won't be coming here for multiple reasons

BUT!!!

one thing we might be able to offer him that some teams can't is money and lots of it and money is all powerful 

like I'm talking 84m/7yrs. 12m cap hit. That's the only way we're in the convo is if we just blow the door down with money 

He is a very, very, good player, maybe a great player, but I wouldn't sign him to anything more than $9 mill per. This would not be enough for him as other teams will offer more.

Too much money on a single player, I'd rather have 2 players at $10 mill than one-even if it is Tavares.

On 2017-03-01 at 7:21 AM, ajhockey said:

The only way I resign the twins is for 3 mil a piece or less. I love the twins, but their pay has dropped off so much in the last two years. 

Don't re sign the Sedins nothing against them we just need the roster openings for our youth to make the jump. The Sedins are old and slow now and I'd rather see Dahlen, Mittlestadt(?), Virtanen, Boeser in the line up come 2019/20 than watch the 38 yo twins stand still while the play flys by them. And yes I would back the truck up for Tavares. 

On 2017-03-02 at 11:07 AM, gurn said:

Too much money on a single player, I'd rather have 2 players at $10 mill than one-even if it is Tavares.

Your wish is Jim Benning's command.

Brandon Sutter and Loui Eriksson.

On 01/03/2017 at 11:59 AM, Nucks89 said:

Minus 20 percent chance Taveras signs here. A) 5 years minimum to be cup contender ( As other posters tell me at least). Also probably doesn't want to play in a Canadian city. 

I could see him going to Vegas

Archived