The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Technically we should trade a D today for expansion purposes?

Canucks will probably go with option A which means we will protect:

7 forwards 

Sedin

Sedin

Eriksson

Horvat

Sutter

Baertschi

Granlund

3 Defenseman

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson (most likely protect him since we gave up valuable assets for him)

which would mean that for Vegas, the best player to pick would be Luca Sbisa. 

What I am confused about is why is Jim not trading Sbisa for at least something rather then lose him for free during the expansion? Is it because he thinks we have chance for playoffs? Or a different reason?

if Sbisa is traded that would mean that Subban gets his first taste at the NHL and we would probably be closer to a top 3 pick. 

What do you guys think is going to happen?

DISCUSS

Can always make deals before the actual expansion draft, you can also deal with Vegas to ensure they don't select a certain player from your roster.  That being said if I could get a reasonable return for Sbisa or Edler now I would pull the trigger for sure.

13 minutes ago, harjnijh said:

Canucks will probably go with option A which means we will protect:

7 forwards 

Sedin

Sedin

Eriksson

Horvat

Sutter

Baertschi

Granlund

3 Defenseman

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson (most likely protect him since we gave up valuable assets for him)

which would mean that for Vegas, the best player to pick would be Luca Sbisa. 

What I am confused about is why is Jim not trading Sbisa for at least something rather then lose him for free during the expansion? Is it because he thinks we have chance for playoffs? Or a different reason?

if Sbisa is traded that would mean that Subban gets his first taste at the NHL and we would probably be closer to a top 3 pick. 

What do you guys think is going to happen?

DISCUSS

If he thought we were making the playoffs, he wouldn't have traded Burrows and Hansen..... 

12 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

maybe because no one really wants sbisa lol

Especially after seeing that hot slice served last night.

Losing Sbisa to Vegas would work out for us. Losing his contract is arguably better than getting anything back

32 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I think we need 2 defensemen that are expansion eligible. Sbisa and Biega are the 2 that are eligible. 

That said idk why we couldn't trade Sbisa and take back a vet defenseman that is expansion eligible

No, we just need 1 D that meets the requirements - perhaps you're thinking of the 2 F that are required.

I like sbisa but he's 3rd pairing guy who does nothing that can't be replaced through free agency or depth we already have 

losing 3.6m would be a huge bonus. I think Vegas will take gaunce. There's plenty of other defenseman that will be available that are better than him.  

The argument against trading Sbisa for a bag of pucks is...once shown you're that desperate for a deal, when do you get taken seriously again? Sure, I watched the deadline, checked my phone every 30 minutes, then 20, then 10, then 5, then...well you get the idea. I was hoping one of our need-to-be-protected Dmen would get traded, but it didn't happen. It was a strange year anyway, and the only one we have that would have been a big difference maker was Tanev, and he's not in the same classification as Shattenkirk.

Ok, so we lose Sbisa. That's $3M+ off the books. Its also clearing out room for a younger guy: McEneny, Juolevi, Brisebois (down the road). It will be like a flu shot; hurts for just a little bit, then you move on.

And if we are really desperate, maybe we could offer LV a pick to NOT take him. I wouldn't, but the option is there.

Archived