The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Benning/Canucks win trade deadline day?

Glory_Days

Did Canucks & Benning win trade deadline?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Markstrom's play showed we need Miller.

tbh, Miller hasn't out played Markstrom. Miller is getting $2.5 M more than Marky...stats are very similar so we are getting better value from Markstrom.

However, I would sign Miller for another year for the same amount as Markstrom. If he walks, oh well.

5 minutes ago, Iced Canucks said:

I'm just praying for a top three pick at the draft and we can really get this rebuild train rolling 

His moves help that cause too.  Two roster players out one fringe unknown in.   It's hard to say for sure but the Canucks most likely won't fair as well without Burrows and Hansen in the line-up.  Megna might be around a little lot yet...

I'm not giddy over the TDL moves, but I'm not really upset either.  We lost some significant assets in Burrows and especially in Hansen.  Both are two way players that are all about hard work.  Hansen could have been our #4 scorer if he'd stayed healthy and is a very solid two way player.  He'd have been a pricey signing to renew his contract, though, so that dilutes his value somewhat.  Burrows is similar but to a lesser extent, being near the end of his serviceable career.

The prospects we received in return are just that - prospects.  It's like receiving McCann back in a trade.  He might pan out, or he might not.  Hansen was a bona fide top 6 player.  I'd say to win these trades, both prospects need to develop into solid top six players.  So I'm 60% happy with how things worked out.  I sure hope both the players we received (and the conditional 4th/1st) pan out in the end, that would be a big win.

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

tbh, Miller hasn't out played Markstrom. Miller is getting $2.5 M more than Marky...stats are very similar so we are getting better value from Markstrom.

However, I would sign Miller for another year for the same amount as Markstrom. If he walks, oh well.

This is not just looking at numbers....

Look at who they played, who was playing, amount of games played etc..

You cannot just look at numbers and decide who outplayed who by using stats. 

8 minutes ago, Iced Canucks said:

I'm just praying for a top three pick at the draft and we can really get this rebuild train rolling 

Well we're pretty much locked out of the top three by expansion barring a lottery ball falling in our favor. Anything in the top five or six is pretty good this year anyway imho.

Just now, DarthMelvin said:

Miller was/is the clear numero uno here this year. Can't really argue otherwise, it's just fact.

1 minute ago, DarthMelvin said:

I'm not...I've watched the games and there isn't a big difference in quality...however there is a difference in pay

If the Sharks win the Cup, Benning will have traded a 30-year old, former 9th round player, for two 1sts.

And a 36 year old bottom 6 player for a sniper who's averaging almost a point-a-game in Sweden. We didn't have a 2nd last year, but Benning found us a 2nd from last year.

Brilliant.

Archived