The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Benning/Canucks win trade deadline day?

Glory_Days

Did Canucks & Benning win trade deadline?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I'm not giddy over the TDL moves, but I'm not really upset either.  We lost some significant assets in Burrows and especially in Hansen.  Both are two way players that are all about hard work.  Hansen could have been our #4 scorer if he'd stayed healthy and is a very solid two way player.  He'd have been a pricey signing to renew his contract, though, so that dilutes his value somewhat.  Burrows is similar but to a lesser extent, being near the end of his serviceable career.

The prospects we received in return are just that - prospects.  It's like receiving McCann back in a trade.  He might pan out, or he might not.  Hansen was a bona fide top 6 player.  I'd say to win these trades, both prospects need to develop into solid top six players.  So I'm 60% happy with how things worked out.  I sure hope both the players we received (and the conditional 4th/1st) pan out in the end, that would be a big win.

I wouldn't  call Hansen a top six player on a contender, and there was a good chancr that vegas would have take him in the expansion draft as he would not have been protected. With that in mind you should be very happy with the returns.

Yzerman's tricky 4 for 1 was pretty deft.

Corrado for 2 roster players and a pick was... interesting too.  Cap dumps are a seriously under rated GM strategy.

Benning was excellent.  Two prospects and a pick is exactly what this team needs.

Eagerly looking forward to seeing both in the Young Stars tourney.

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

I think Miller will be back next year cause doubt he goes to vegas unless he gets 5 plus Mill

we won as we got another young guy free without trading picks and for what we got for burr and Hansen a win all round

:towel::canucks::towel:

I think it'll probably take two years at around the same dollar figure to get it done. He certainly earned it this year, if he wants three I would walk away from that based on age.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

I think it'll probably take two years at around the same dollar figure to get it done. He certainly earned it this year, if he wants three I would walk away from that based on age.

not only that Demko should be ready in two/three years so gotta make room for him

Just now, Cyouentea said:

Benning mentioned another player during his interview, he said he's coming of his bi week but will join the team tomorrow.

Benning said he's big and goes to the net, who is he talking about?

He did mention signing "a couple" of our college players. Presumably he's talking about Boeser and Gaudette.

For our sake, I think he did.  Holding onto Miller I think is a good thing, lets Demko develop further in the AHL.

I dunno who this Cramarossa guy is, wonder if Willie will dress him tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

He did mention signing "a couple" of our college players. Presumably he's talking about Boeser and Gaudette.

Yeah, sounds like the Canucks are going to sign Gaudette once his year is over... which makes sense. Gaudette, much like Boeser, doesn't have a ton left to prove at the NCAA level. That and Northeastern hasn't been very good this year (as a team in the overall standings) and is likely to get worse with the exits of Aston-Reese and John Stevens. With a legit chance to play in the NHL this year, it makes sense for Gaudette to sign instead of play an extra year. Same goes for Boeser.

Lockwood's the only other NCAA guy we have right now and I think he still needs an extra year or two before he makes the leap to the NHL.

We fulfilled half of what needed to be done.

Alright by lowered Vancouver standards but won the day? Would take a lot of bias to say that. We did okay. Now if we moved Miller and Sbisa as well I would sing a different tune. 

Benning did okay and by my lowered expectations as well, okay means "didn't trade picks"

I do not think we won the day by all teams but for us we got rid of two older players making cap room, got three younger players back with one being from the waiver wire

so all in all we won for us Benning did great for the two trades he made and like said we gave up NO picks and the 4th could be a 1st if so we won big time

5 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

We fulfilled half of what needed to be done.

Alright by lowered Vancouver standards but won the day? Would take a lot of bias to say that. We did okay. Now if we moved Miller and Sbisa as well I would sing a different tune. 

Benning did okay and by my lowered expectations as well, okay means "didn't trade picks"

I don't agree that half of what needed to be done was to trade Miller and Sbisa.

There was no market for goalies. Even Halak didn't get traded and he was viewed by many as a more favorable backup option to Miller. If there's no market, there's no market. Now they have the option to either re-sign him or let him walk.

As for Sbisa, you're not trading him at the deadline with the expansion draft coming up. Anyone who thought we would get something of value for him at the deadline had too high of expectations. We'll be able to dump his contract in the expansion draft as Vegas will be looking for D-men.

Some fans just expect waay too much. Benning goes out and gets two great prospects and a potential 1st round pick for a couple aging players (one with a NTC), and some fans still aren't happy. You don't have to be biased to see that he had one of the best deadlines, you just have to understand trade value.

Exceeded my expectations by a mile for what he got for Burrows, even if Dahlen is a bit of a pipe-dream prospect. I was expecting a conditional 4th or 5th.

For Hansen I think Benning got exactly what I was expecting: a team's 3rd or 4th best prospect and a pick. Very happy that that happened to be Goldobin. Great potential. The 20% salary retention stings a bit, and a 4th round pick is kind of a throwaway pick, but I guess with the quality of prospect it's justified. Of course if by some fluke the Sharks win the cup, a 30th overall pick in a weak draft is nothing the Sharks will lose sleep over.

Definitely an A- draft day, and if either of these prospects pan out, it's an easy A+.

Archived